Jesus - Spot The Difference

by AlphaOmega 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• brinjen
    brinjen

He looks quite confident and bold on the first cover, much more passive and inverted in the second, along with the past tense of the wording, are they trying to "phase him out"?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today, and forever" (Hebrews 13:8)

Yeah but who WAS he? Too bad we don't have a time machine to see what he was like. ;)

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Also, I find the beard on past tense Jesus, to be almost hypnotic in it's texture and furryness.

The Oracle

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Also, I find the beard on past tense Jesus, to be almost hypnotic in it's texture and furryness.

The Oracle

It is isn't it ? A bit like it's seen some conditioner recently.

He looks remarkably placid and calm for a man with a crown of thorns in his head !

BTW - you are approaching post 666... please make it in this thread... please.

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

BTW - you are approaching post 666... please make it in this thread... please.

hahahaha. Is that a milestone here on JWD?

Well, I guess I got one post closer with this one. No promises though, I need to go do my stretching exercies soon.

The Oracle

PS: I agree. There must have been some conditioner use. That look does not come easy.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Quick bit of research suggests that he does take care of his beard...

I did find a link for Jesus shampoo !

• JCanon
    JCanon

Just in passing as trivia. Jehovah looks "black." What's more, he sports an "Afro"... not quite so much over the ears as here shown with Michael Jackson, and not quite as large in proportion to his head, but perfectly shaped and combed.

alt

Now what is interesting, is that that is precisely how Jehovah's hair has always been described in the Bible, like "clean"

9 “I kept on beholding until there were thrones placed and the Ancient of Days sat down. His clothing was white just like snow, and the hair of his head was like clean WOOL."

Now Jesus, likewise, is described in the scene in Revelation as having hair like wool as well...

14 Moreover, his head and his hair were white as white WOOL, as snow,.." REV 1

Now, it's interesting, having seen Jehovah myself, why his hair is described as like "wool", because he sports an "Afro"; and though that probably is a stretch to think and understand that that is being described in the Bible, it still makes it a bit inconsistent to represent Jehovah of Jesus without regard to the reference to hair with the texture of "wool."

Below in the specific reference of his description, with legs like copper and hair like wool, I wonder how much effort was made to reflect his wooly hair?

Granted, if you didn't specifically know the precise style in reference was an "Afro" that's understandable, but now that we do, depictions of Jesus and Jehovah are not truly "ethnically" correct nor Biblically correct when his hair is not depicted as being line "fine wool", meaning hair the texture of wool but finely combed.

BUT also, that addresses the whole concept of the angels as well. After all, man was made in God's image and man is made up of many beautiful ethnic features. So why is it all the angels in heaven are always European?

I mean, when the WTS depictes the New Order, it's a mixture of all the races. Why are all the angels European looking instead of being a variety of ethnic characteristics in heaven?

ON THE OTHER HAND though, it turns not to be inconsistent to represent Jesus as being very fair with white features when he was first here, if he looked anything like his cousin John, whom I have seen. Maybe since he might be making an appearance soon it's okay to say, that I was rather surprised how fair he was. He looked very typically white, but obviously Jewish. The Apostle Paul, on the other hand, was dark and very Middle-Eastern looking, even sort of strikingly so.

From a symbolic reference point of view as far as the ethnic differences for the messiah at the first and second coming. This is reflected in the two different types of bands that band the tree that is chocked down over which 7 times pass. Now this is central to JW doctrine and the "7 times" prophecy, you know, the 2520 years from the fall of Jerusalem to the second coming; per their calculations from 607 BCE to 1914. At any rate, after the tree is chopped down it is banded with two bands. The first is iron and the second copper. Copper is the theme color for the second coming, and the Jewish descendancy is through Joseph, whose children were half Egyptian, and thus darker or copper colored. So even the bands represent the two different appearance perhaps of the messiah. The first as a fair-complected man (a white man) and the second as a darker complected man. Iron and copper.

So, as much as I wanted to rag on the WTS for maybe being a bit racist and prejudice by showing Jesus as such a European-looking white man, he actually was very fair and white-looking apparently, as I guess the Judeans were, though some of the other tribes were darker and more typically Middle Eastern looking.

However, it's still a curiousity that the ethnic choice and preference for depicting angels is always white. Which is great since, obviously white represents purity, without blemish, etc. just as a color in general. But technically, the depiction of Jesus and Jehovah as being white has a contradiction in the Bible, especially as to their hairstyle, which should reflect it being "wooly", meaning in an Afro style. But likely no artist would understand or anticipate that if the general presumption is that God and Jesus were "white." Jesus indeed was white, Judean, when he was born in the line of David, but up in heaven he's not white. He's MIXED. Half white and half black. That is, not chocolate colored but "copper colored" but with more wooly hair like his father, Jehovah.

The COUNTENANCE of Jehovah is something that can be observed by being in his presence as well. What I mean is, the way a person carries themselves sometimes is characteristic by group. Artists, for instance, would tend to carry themselves differently than say a politician, a salesman, or a scientist. Jehovah's countenance is very much of an "inventor." Sort of someone you'd expect to see in a high-tech lab with a lot of robotics around. An extremely intellectual bearing. And kind of "intense." You get the feeling that while he's talking with you and he's fully focussed on the moment, that 2 seconds after your conversation is over, he's rushing to some other project. As if you were interrupting him. Or not really interrupting him, but I felt like I was one of the many important projects he had. He had stopped to take care of this detail, my post-messiah "interview" introduction, sort of, then he'd be off doing something else, maybe in some other dimension or galaxy or something. Anyway, that's my impression, for the JIOR who might be reading this and hadn't seen my previous discussion.

You know, it kind of makes you think about when Jesus was born and those angels were singing. Was it like the Mormon tabernacle choir or Revival gospel? When the angels come down to the earth to listen to music, are they more likely to listen to gospel music, I wonder? Nah, probably all kinds, to each their own!!

Cheerio!

JC

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

A&O

First article -- "Who is Jesus?" (present tense)

Second article -- "Who was he?" (past tense)

Since the answer, according to the WT in Michael the archangel.

I wish the WT would tell us what really came down here. Man? Angel? Both?

John 6:33

For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." 34 Therefore they said to him: "Lord, always give us this bread." 35Jesus said to them: "I am the bread of life. He that comes to me will not get hungry at all, and he that exercises faith in me will never get thirsty at all. 36 But I have said to YOU, YOU have even seen me and yet do not believe. 37 Everything the Father gives me will come to me, and the one that comes to me I will by no means drive away; 38 because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Since the answer, according to the WT in Michael the archangel.

I wish the WT would tell us what really came down here. Man? Angel? Both?

John 6:33

For the bread of God is the one who comes down from heaven and gives life to the world." 34 Therefore they said to him: "Lord, always give us this bread." 35Jesus said to them: "I am the bread of life. He that comes to me will not get hungry at all, and he that exercises faith in me will never get thirsty at all. 36 But I have said to YOU, YOU have even seen me and yet do not believe. 37 Everything the Father gives me will come to me, and the one that comes to me I will by no means drive away; 38 because I have come down from heaven to do, not my will, but the will of him that sent me.

It seems that they are a little more confused than it appears about who descends from heaven :

alt

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Jehovah looks "black." What's more, he sports an "Afro"... not quite so much over the ears as here shown with Michael Jackson, and not quite as large in proportion to his head, but perfectly shaped and combed.

Holy hair picks, JC.

Isn't Jehovah supposed to be a spirit, devoid of any physical characteristics?

But, just in case, I offer this as a token of friendship to your "Jehovah"...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit