Book Club, March 08, Short Stories by Edgar Allen Poe

by TheSilence 26 Replies latest social entertainment

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thanks for the link http://www.online-literature.com/poe/ . I just sent it to my hubby, who's also a Poe fan.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Thanks for the link http://www.online-literature.com/poe/ . I just sent it to my hubby, who's also a Poe fan.

No problem. I hope he enjoys it ;) Jackie

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh and in which three stories is Dupin featured? I would like to read all of them.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Oh and in which three stories is Dupin featured? I would like to read all of them.

The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Mystery of Marie Roget (which was actually based upon a real case in New York City, the beginning of true crime novels ;) ), and The Purloined Letter.

Jackie

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Thank you

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

No problem at all ;)

Jackie

• dinah
    dinah

You picked a book I actually own.

My favorite is "The Tell Tale Heart" probably because the Principal at our elementary school read it to us in the 4th grade. He had a deep booming voice, and when he read the part at the end about ripping up the boards, it gave me chills and scared me to death!!!!

I bought that book because of Mr. McGill, and I still have it.

• Tara
    Tara

Damn! I forgot all about the book club. Sorry. I am more familiar with his poems than his short stories. I remember The Black Cat and The Pit and the Pendulum were good, as well as the The Murder in the Rue Morgue. I think I will re-read that one and the other two detective stories and comment back afterwards. Good thing I have a book containing all his works because the online site has banned me. They even had my IP address. I feel like a criminal! LOL.It had something to do with either my browser or an ad blocker program.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks jackie - I think I'll use the online link.

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    My favorite is "The Tell Tale Heart"

The Tell-tale Heart is a great story. I've heard people debate whether the murderer hears the old man's beating heart because he's made or if it's his guilty conscience. Surely the description he gives of himself watching the old man every night, finally creeping into his room, and being driven mad by the old man's eye speaks to his insanity... however, I think it's his guilty conscience over killing the old man which causes him to hear his heart.

I remember The Black Cat and The Pit and the Pendulum were good

I always enjoy The Black Cat. That he walls up the cat with his murdered wife and it gives him away is great... especially as he believes that it is the cat he killed. The Pit and the Pendulum is an interesting read, but for some reason I don't enjoy it as much as his other stories. I still enjoy it more than, say, The Great Balloon Hoax or Berenice, but it's not one of my favorite's of Poe's.

Jackie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit