March - Women's "Herstory" Month

by compound complex 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

Lady Deborah Moody (1586 - 1659?) was the only woman to found a colonial settlement in early North America. She had an unusual influence in a society dominated by men, and was described by contemporaries as "a dangerous woman".

Lady Moody was born Deborah Dunch in London in 1586, the daughter of Walter and Debora Dunch. She married Henry Moody, a marriage that granted her the formal title of Lady. She became a widow by 1629. [1]

Lady Moody left England in 1639 due to religious persecution. She was a believer in Anabaptism, a sect that rebelled against baptism of infants because a child cannot commit to religious faith. She first settled in Saugus, Massachusetts, but left there in 1643 after being admonished by the Puritan leaders for failing to conform to their religious beliefs. Many others with the same religious beliefs left with her.

She led a group of religious dissenters fleeing persecution to found the town of Gravesend in 1645, in the Dutch colony of New Netherland. Today the area is part of Brooklyn in New York City, with the English town square still evident in the street layout. The people from Gravesend were granted religious freedom, unusual for that period. Deborah Moody became influential in New Netherlands and had good relations with governor Peter Stuyvesant.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************

Ah....the irony.... she first settled in Saugus, MA....my home state....and she wound up in Brooklyn of all places....

Deborah Moody was my maiden name.... (but I don't allow anyone to call me Deborah....way too formal)

Coffee who is definitely a Lady!

• Panda
    Panda
    Queen Boudica or Boadicea

I thought she was a myth like King Arthur?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    I thought she was a myth like King Arthur?

I think that's a very common misconception - even here in the UK! The story may have been embellished a little - some say that the battles weren't as massive or 'prestigious' as recorded, suggesting that it was more likely a series of small skirmishes certainly in the early days when they were fighting in the Anglian fens (very low and very boggy - not chariot country or a place suited to large armies!). Others suggest that Boudica didn't show up for the final battle but killed herself when she heard of the defeat, whilst others suggest she didn't even kill herself but lived the rest of her life as a servant to the Romans - and that she had actually collaborated with them.

But she was definitely real and royal - and merciless to her defeated enemies too if you read the accounts.

• compound complex
    compound complex
    A woman is like a tea bag; you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water.

Eleanor Roosevelt

• Panda
    Panda

I think that's a very common misconception - even here in the UK

I'm glad to know it's real because I love the story --- her defeat also shadowed the defeat of the matrilineal system in western Europe.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Main article, see The Lion in Winter (1968 film)

The film was nominated for 7 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Best Actor (Peter O'Toole), Best Director (Anthony Harvey), and Best Costume Design. The film won three Academy Awards: Best Actress (Katharine Hepburn), Best Screenplay (James Goldman), and Best Score (John Barry).

Main article, see The Lion in Winter (2003 film)

[edit] Synopsis

The Lion in Winter occurs during Christmas1183 at HenryPlantagenet's château and primary residence in Chinon, Anjou, within the Angevin Empire of medieval France. The play opens with the arrival of his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine from prison; the story immediately centres on the personality conflicts and shifting alliances among the estranged couple and their adult sons and heirs to the throne: Prince Richard the Lionheart (1157-1199, the future King Richard I of England 1189-1199), Prince Geoffrey, Duke of Brittany (1158-1186), and Prince John (1166-1216, the future King John I of England 1199-1216).

Also in the château, pursuing their own intrigues with the royal family are King Philip II of France, the son of Eleanor's ex-husband, and Philip II's half-sister Alais, a daughter of Louis VII. Alais was betrothed to Richard I, but is Henry II's mistress; in reality, Henry had many mistresses and bastards. The "Rosamund" mentioned in the film was Henry II's mistress until she died.

The Lion in Winter is fictional: there was no Christmas Court at Chinon in 1183; there was a Christmas court at Caen in 1182; none of the dialogue and action is historic, though the outcomes of the characters and the background are historically accurate. The article on the Revolt of 1173-1174 describes the historical events leading to the play's events.

"Every family has its ups and downs." - Katherine Hepburn, as Eleanor of Aquitaine.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people
    are works of art.

Eleanor Roosevelt

• compound complex
    compound complex

Friendship with oneself is all-important, because without it one cannot be
    friends with anyone else in the world.

Eleanor Roosevelt

• compound complex
    compound complex

Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized anyway.
    You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.

Eleanor Roosevelt

• compound complex
    compound complex

Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit