March - Women's "Herstory" Month

by compound complex 51 Replies latest jw experiences

• compound complex
    compound complex

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen (but the ladies in particular):

March is Women's History Month.

Is there a woman who has become a mentor or otherwise very special person to you?

My heroine, from an historical perspective, is Rosa Parks.

Thank you,

CoCo

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

My heroine from a historical pov is Harriet Tubman. Now there was a gutsy lady!

http://www.greatwomen.org/women.php?action=viewone&id=159

• wings
    wings

So many to choose from. Elizabeth Cady Stanton.

CoCo, thanks for bringing this to mind.

• XOCO
    XOCO

Great thread CoCo

Here are some of my favorite women in my history growing up

Grace Jones

Josephine Baker

Betty Friedan

Deborah Anne Dyer (Skin)

Frida Kahlo

• compound complex
    compound complex

WOMENS HISTORY

"To honor in perpetuity these women, citizens of the United States of America whose contributions to the arts, athletics, business, education, government, the humanities, philanthropy and science, have been the greatest value for the development of their country." ©
    The Hall is a shrine to some of the greatest women in the history of this country and a tribute that grows annually with each induction ceremony as we learn to appreciate more about the wonderful contributions that women make to our civilization.

The above is from Tired's link - thank you very much and also to wings and XOCO!

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

WOMEN'S HISTORY

alt
    Woman fingerprinted. Mrs. Rosa Parks, Negro seamstress, whose refusal to move to the back of a bus touched off the bus boycott in Montgomery, Ala. In 1956, Rosa Parks's arrest and the bus boycott that followed was big news
    Enlarge this image
    alt
    altRosa Parks Was Arrested for Civil Disobedience
    December 1, 1955

Rosa Parks stood up for what she believed, or rather, sat down for what she believed. On the evening of December 1, 1955, Parks, an African American, was tired after a long day of work and decided to take a seat on the bus on her ride home. Because she sat down and refused to give up her seat to a white passenger, she was arrested for disobeying an Alabama law requiring black people to relinquish seats to white people when the bus was full. (Blacks also had to sit at the back of the bus.) Her arrest sparked a 381-day boycott of the Montgomery bus system. It also led to a 1956 Supreme Court decision banning segregation on public transportation. Who was Rosa Parks, the woman who helped spark the civil rights movement of the 1960s?
  • aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

Hey Tired, Harriet tubman has always been my favorite too! I love reading stories about her.

An incredibly strong and powerful woman, I wish I could meet her.

• compound complex
    compound complex

WOMEN'S HISTORY

altHarriet Tubman Portrait of Harriet Tubman
    Enlarge this image
    altBorn: c. 1820, Dorchester County, Maryland
    Died: March 10, 1913, Auburn, New York

Harriet Tubman was a runaway slave from Maryland who became known as the "Moses of her people." Over the course of 10 years, and at great personal risk, she led hundreds of slaves to freedom along the Underground Railroad, a secret network of safe houses where runaway slaves could stay on their journey north to freedom. She later became a leader in the abolitionist movement, and during the Civil War she was a spy for the federal forces in South Carolina as well as a nurse.

alt

altalt
    altNursemaid with her charge, ca. 1855.alt
    alt
    altRunning to Freedom
    alt
    altSpying for the Union
  • compound complex
    compound complex

WOMEN'S HISTORY

Margaret Mead, anthropologist, and her husband were studying different cultures in New Guinea in 1933 and made a remarkable discovery:

From 1931 to 1933, they continued to travel and Mead continued to study in New Guinea. In 1933, they assembled their third camp in Kenakatem. Here Mead made her great discovery that "human nature is malleable". She had witnessed three specific cultures; Arapesh, Mundugumor and the Tchambuli. Each culture displayed different gender role qualities. In one culture both the women and men were cooperative, in the second they were both ruthless and aggressive, and in the Thambuli culture the women were dominant and the men more submissive.

Due to these findings, Mead was one of the first people to propose that masculine and feminine characteristics reflected cultural conditioning (or socialization) not fundamental biological differences.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

Hi Coco

I'm reading Medea during March so my heroine is Medea herself. Here are some quotes about her from the play

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medea_(play)

[ edit ] Quotations about the character Medea

NURSE:

• 'Devoted to Jason'
    • 'She is a frightening woman'
    • 'Her mood is cruel, her nature dangerous'

CREON:

• 'A clever woman, skilled in many arts'
    • '[a woman who is] quiet and clever'

JASON:

• 'You talked like a fool'
    • 'I admit you have intelligence'

AEGEUS:

• 'Certainly; a brain like yours [i.e. clever] is what is needed'
    • 'Your forethought is remarkable'

MEDEA HERSELF:

• 'A stranger'
    • ' I'd rather stand 3 times in the front line than bear one child'
    • 'Yes, I can endure guilt, however, horrible; the laughter of my enemies I will not endure'
    • 'We women are the most wretched'
    • 'We wives are forced to look to one man only'
    • 'A woman's weak and timid in most matters... but touch her right in marriage, and there's no bloodier spirit.'
    • 'An Asiatic wife was no longer respectable'
    • 'Let no one think of me as humble or weak or passive... let them understand I am of a different kind, dangerous to my enemies, loyal to my friends.'
    • 'The gifts of a bad man bring no good with them.'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit