"Who Wrote The Bible?"

by Grout 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Joe,

It's also easy to see at least two authors in the creation story. I do, however, accept Ezra or an Ezra like person being the final editor of the Torah as we see it. We know that at one time what was called TORAH could be read aloud in one day. This was probably the core of Dueteronomy.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• JosephAlward
    JosephAlward

I certainly agree that the creation myths were originated in two separate traditions, and I find it reasonable that perhaps just one man--an editor--compiled disparate traditions into the Torah. The editor seems to have been politically correct, because he was careful to tell a creation story that appealed to the culture and traditions of northern Israel, as well as a quite different--and contradictory--one from southern Israel. Likewise, as you may have seen in another thread, there are two separate and distinct--and contradictory--flood stories told from the viewpoint of two different traditions and cultures. Thus, the Bible cannot be taken literally right from the very first book; those willing to look carefully will see that the gospel stories cannot be taken literally, either. That includes the resurrection story. Look hard enough and one will find that there's essentially no evidence in support of the existence of the historical Jesus.

Joseph F. Alward
    "Skeptical Views of Christianity and the Bible"

* http://members.aol.com/jalw/joseph_alward.html

• Grout
    Grout

Yeru: Deuteronomy reflects the sensibilities of a much later time than do the other four books. I hardly think Deuteronomy contains any of the primitive material.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit