Memorial Behaviour

by Tired of the Hypocrisy 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Hi gang,

We as humans have a need to celebrate. we want to be happy and to share our joy and share in the joy of others. We love to get dressed up and go out and enjoy life. Well, I used to anyways. What I would like to know is if anyone else noticed behaivor that reminded you of a RED CARPET affair during the Memorial? I can see how some might feel that way, since any sort of celebrating is frowned upon. So any excuse is used to behave like a night on the town......Puttin' on the ritz as it were.....I remember one congregation I was attending where the assemblies and the memorial was where everyone got dressed up. They would all act like they were going out tot he Oscars or something. New shoes, new dress, new suit....Well, one oft eh elders one year rented a WHITE TUXEDO! No kidding. He looked like an idiot.

Your turn.....

• MisfitMeL
    MisfitMeL

I know what you mean!

It's hard to stop human beings from wanting to enjoy themselves and celebrate.

We all wore nice clothes, sometimes new, jewellery and make up on... the same was for the assemblies!

Everybody wanted to show their best..

• Gopher
    Gopher

In many Christian churches, Easter is the biggest and most-attended service of the year, not some wannabe-Good-Friday Memorial.

In those churches, traditionally people dressed in their "Easter finest", presumably to attract potential mates? Or out of respect for their Lord Jesus? Who knows?

When JW's dress up for their one special day, it's just like they're putting on their Easter best (without it being Easter).

• DJK
    DJK

New clothes for sure. I hated it. The shopping would be a nightmare because dad supervised everything and the clothes were always boring and out of style.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez

The Watchtower WOULD frown on all of this "fixing up" and buying new clothes for the Memorial. But they let the minions have their fun for one night because the Memorial is the one night of the year that the Watchtower gets an idea of how many people are possible future recruits. The total attendance is usually about double the Witness population. They can then use that to say, "see, if they came to the memorial, they migh agree to a study!"

• heathen
    heathen

LoL , like a j-dub fashion show . I bet they all wash their car even in case jesus shows up to inspect their ride. If I go I don't bother with any dressy clothes because I don't own any .The last couple of times I went I left as they were passing around the wine and crackers ,one time I could swear I saw somebody spit in the wine . ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

• loosie
    loosie

yeah I remember in CA it was a big dressed up affair. but people that go to other churches dress up for easter and christmas.

besides I was trying to find a husband.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

With a Memorial on Saturday night, look out. Some of these fine sistas and brothas will
    be strutting to the parking lot on their way to paint the Red Lobster, well ....red.

Always, there are ladies that use the Memorial as an excuse to buy a new dress, but to
    be fair, the JW ladies wind up in their Sunday best on most any Sunday, so they need
    new stuff.

I think the big "dress up" is the District Conventions. Now, that's a model runway there.
    Ladies and Gents of the younger years trying to be FLY.

a WHITE TUXEDO!

That is hilarious. Even a pure white suit is so Hollywood. LOL.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Personally, I think the best fashion would be a nice big wine stain on someone's white shirt. Preferably, from when they drop and bust the whole bottle while en route to the platform and have a nice mess of broken glass and wine on the carpet. Hopefully, they have to close the Kingdumb Hell for broken glass and spend $1000 or more replacing a ruined carpet.

Short of that, I have noticed little in the way of dress-up during this Reject Jesus festival. People in my former congregation were too poor to buy new clothes, especially after the "excess" went to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. A few did dress up special for that occasion, but mostly it was business as usual.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The best suggestion I have ever heard (but I wouldn't participate in a mockery of
    the Memorial) is this one:

A bunch of ex-JW's go in to the same Memorial and keep drinking the entire glass of wine.
    They have to keep going to refill it, and they would run out. That's Memorial Behaviour to the EXXTREME!!!!
    You could also ask if they have any cheese.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit