Anybody Watching "A Raisin in the Sun"?

by tall penguin 15 Replies latest jw friends

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

Right now on ABC is premiering a movie called "A Raisin in the Sun". It has Sean "Diddy" Combs in it. Anyhow, it was filmed here in Toronto and if you're watching the movie, the house they just bought is the home of one of my old return visits. She was a sweet little old lady who died shortly after I DA'd. I called on her every week for a few years. I never got to say goodbye to her.

Apparently after she died, her grandson opened the house for this movie to film there. It's odd seeing her living room. The fireplace we used to sit in front of as I shared the latest magazines with her. They even kept her old wallpaper. So bizarre to be seeing it coming from my television set. Surreal to say the least.

tall penguin

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

It is strange enough just to see familiar neighbourhoods on TV shows or movies but that must be strange to know the "set" and see it broadcast like that.

I was going to be a smart ass and comment about seeing a Raisin in the sun .. You know Nascar on a cloudless day ...

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

lol @ Uzzah.

Ya, it's really weird. I'm having some good memories come up. She was a really great lady. I wish I'd gone back and said goodbye to her after I DA'd. I just wasn't sure how to explain it all to a 90 year old. From what I can tell, my mom probably took her over and continued to call on her.

tall penguin

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

At the time when we first leave we could barely explain it to ourselves never mind to a RV of any age. Make sure you don't beat yourself up over it. I am certain she loved the time you spent with her.

Enjoy and savour the good memories!

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

That's very interesting, tall penguin.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

That's interesting, tall penguin.

I must admit that I am prejudiced. As much as I loved the play, I decided that there was no way the original movie version could possibly be improved upon by having Sean P. Diddy playing the Sidney Poitier part. I'd rather remember it the way it was.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I didn't see the original, but I think Diddy was pretty good in the role.

tall penguin

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

"At the time when we first leave we could barely explain it to ourselves never mind to a RV of any age."

Very good point Uzzah. I remember attempting that with a couple of bible studies. Pretty sure I confused the hell out of them. Oh well. It was a crazy time. Glad I've got perspective on it now.

tall penguin

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

There is no way that any current black actor can take the place of Sydney Poiter

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    There is no way that any current black actor can take the place of Sydney Poiter

I hope not. I hope they do better!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit