Mormon documentary on PBS

by TweetieBird 13 Replies latest jw friends

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

I wish they told the story of Thomas Lewis. The same year as Mountain Meadows Massacre (1857) Bishop Warren Snow of Manti Utah saw and desired a certain young lass, but she was engaged to a Thomas Lewis, a young (not Young) Welch immigrant. She said "NO" to the "good" bishop. The bishop called Thomas in and wanted him to give up his fiancee. He said no. They then wanted to "call him on a mission". This was mormon code for get the man in her life out of there. This method had been used by decades at this point--started by Joseph's Myth himself in order to secretly marry other mens wives.

Anyway, Thomas refused the mission call. Not so surprisingly, "Bishop" Snow then charges Thomas with an unspecified sexual crime. While being held, Thomas was attacked by judge/jury and executioner Bishop Snow and a few of his trusted allies. The good Bishop then used his Bowie knife to cut off Thomas's balls which were then nailed above the door post of the assembly hall as a warning to those who would question authority. Thomas went insane. His fiancee was persuaded to "marry" Bishop Snow.

Wilford Woodruff was the third prophet or president of this deranged church. In his journal he records how Breed 'em Young approved of Bishop Warren Snows actions. This may have given him an idea on how to deal with the excess males competing for his 56th wife. The "prophet" Wilford records in his journal:

"The subjects of Eunuchs came up... Brigham Said the day would Come when thousands would be made Eunochs in order for

them to be saved in the kingdom of God." (Wilford Woodruff's Diary, June 2, 1857, Vol. 5, pages 54-55)

Such was the fervor that brought us Mountain Meadows Massacre.

I don't know if I can wait for my wife to come around and read plain english. She says this is "anti" literature. I call it the publications of damnable church. I just want to send in my resignation, take an acid shower and try to scrub my skin off (I feel so unclean for having had ANY association with this filthy cult). The mormon church is not worthy of me. It does not meet my standards of what is good and true.

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Tweetie Bird,

Most spouses of alcoholics are CODEPENDENT. Codependency is an illness. I think those who swap JW/LDS are sick. They are codependent. They need abuse and control over their lives, for some sick twisted reason. There are some seriously mentally challenged people out there.

Chirp

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

It is an excellent documentary. Well worth watching. Probably the best profile of an American religion I have ever seen. I wish the JWs could get that kind of examination. It was very fair and well documented.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Most spouses of alcoholics are CODEPENDENT. Codependency is an illness. I think those who swap JW/LDS are sick. They are codependent.

While their dogmas are very different, the Mormons and JWs both offer people the same kind of high controlled environment. Some people are insecure enough that they will forget about all the problems they had in one group and move to the other simply because the environments are so similar. Typically the person is thinking much more about what can make them feel secure than any exact doctrinal point.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit