Mormon documentary on PBS

by TweetieBird 13 Replies latest jw friends

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

There was an interesting documentary on the Mormons yesterday. You could substitute JW for Mormon for most of it (except teachings) especially concerning obedience to the higher ups, not questioning the organization, etc. They disfellowship and excommunicate (excommunication being a worse fate) and if anyone questions the church they are considered an apostate.

I checked to see if it was going to air again in the near future but so far no plans. You can however go to www.pbs.org and watch it.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I have close friends who are Mormon and I just don't understand how they can believe the things they are taught ...
    without any question or research. Most of their doctrine blows the JW out of the water ... mind-boggling stuff like
    baptising the dead, becoming Gods in the afterlife, protective garments, etc. These aren't "crazy" people either.
    I've met several and they are all clean-cut intelligent persons who you could mistaken as a JW instantly. LOL!
    They can't drink tea or coffee because caffine is like a drug and you could become addicted. (No coffee?!!!)
    BUT you can drink Coca-Colas. Hmmm ... what's the difference? The Book of Mormon has NOT ONE SHRED
    OF EVIDENCE that any of the events in the book took place. It's total fantasy!

• whereami
    whereami

You might want to show your Mormon freinds this video. They won't be the same again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svfxSscxh8o

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon
    I have close friends who are Mormon and I just don't understand how they can believe the things they are taught ...
    without any question or research. Most of their doctrine blows the JW out of the water ... mind-boggling stuff like
    baptising the dead, becoming Gods in the afterlife, protective garments, etc. These aren't "crazy" people either.
    I've met several and they are all clean-cut intelligent persons who you could mistaken as a JW instantly. LOL!
    They can't drink tea or coffee because caffine is like a drug and you could become addicted. (No coffee?!!!)
    BUT you can drink Coca-Colas. Hmmm ... what's the difference? The Book of Mormon has NOT ONE SHRED
    OF EVIDENCE that any of the events in the book took place. It's total fantasy!

I'll have you know I represent that statement!!!

• sacolton
    sacolton
    I'll have you know I represent that statement!!!

Represent or Resent?

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

I consider myself a Former... Mormon

The world makes far more sense out of the LDS church, than it ever did in it. Yes, what I believed was silly, just as the repeated JW "prophecies" were silly.

Silly really is a bad word... damnable fits better for me.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Well, let me ask you ... what is the best way to get someone out of the Mormon cult?

• FormerMormon
    FormerMormon

Wow,

That's like asking "Doc, how can you make me feel better?". The reasons people leave are varied. The "church" likes to define people leaving on their terms (ie they want to sin, they were offended by someone, etc). The truth of it is that many people leave because they see that the church is NOT what it claims to be, doesn't reflect their values etc. In english, this means some people leave for political differences, doctrinal issues like polygamy or treatment of blacks, others leave for historical lies (eg Kinderhook or Book of Abraham/Book of the Dead issues). Some leave because of manipulation/guilt and use of fear tactics. Some do leave because they want to "sin".

Do you have a candidate for the Post Mormon world? Relative? Friend? Are they active? Do they study moronism or are they social morons?

Postmormon.org is a great place for former/recovering morons.

Let me know if I can be of any help

• Quandry
    Quandry

(ie they want to sin, they were offended by someone, etc).

Yes, yes, formermormon. the similarities are astounding.....sounds just like the WTS. They were "not of our sort" and wanted "the things of the world" etc. They make it seem like if a person leaves they immediately become a drug/sex crazed dreg of society.

By the way, I again watched some of the special. Wow. To think that the people who were involved in the massacre were sworn to secrecy and did keep their mouths shut is really something.

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I've known a few former mormons that converted to the JWs and now, looking back, I wonder why do they escape from one cult to join another?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit