OnStar cracked up to be, in a crack-up like this?

by Fatfreek 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

Who needs OnStar when ya got the FAITHFUL SLAVE.

They can tell ya where you are now and where you'll be if ya don't listen to them.

• Jourles
    Jourles

OnStar uses blended hybrid technology to report your location and to allow you to place calls. The on-board "module" contains three primary components: Cell transceiver, gps receiver, and an Airbiquity unit. When you press your button for assistance, a call is placed to the OnStar call center. This call takes place over whichever cellular company is providing service at that particular location(VZW, AT&T, Sprint, etc.). While you're on the call, the Airbiquity unit is the primary component responsible for relaying gps and diagnostic information to the OnStar call center. Airbiquity patented this technology to allow a data stream(gps coordinates, diags) to traverse a voice path while you are on the call. It is overlaid. Pretty cool stuff. Otherwise without this tech, the voice and data streams would have to be sent over two separate paths, or two different "calls." Calls are not made to a satellite(s). You must be in range of a cellular network to be able to place a call or have your vehicle automatically send out a crash notification. For the most part, almost the entire freeway system in the US is covered. It's once you get out in the boonies where there is no coverage is when you're screwed.

Jourles, whose company just shut down their old analog service last week which serviced the old OnStar modules

• VM44
    VM44

I think OnStar uses Garmin GPS OEM modules.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I agree with Leolaia; there are places in the hills just east of San Jose that look pretty much lke that.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Nathan, good to see you here!

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

Jourles: This call takes place over whichever cellular company is providing service at that particular location(VZW, AT&T, Sprint, etc.).

Ah -- just as I wondered -- not based on a single carrier. We know there is a huge difference with those. We were on top of Pike's Peak and none of our group (all AT&T) had signals but there were other tourists obviously having conversations on their phones. One of those folks I aasked was using Verizon or Sprint.

Len

• G Money
    G Money

I think it uses satellite. I used it to get out of a mess and had zero cell service but they came on very clear. The newer vehicles have the sat link, maybe it was the older ones that didn't.

• Jourles
    Jourles
    I think it uses satellite. I used it to get out of a mess and had zero cell service but they came on very clear. The newer vehicles have the sat link, maybe it was the older ones that didn't.

Trust me, OnStar isn't used for voice-over-satellite. They only come into play(for OnStar) for location based services(gps). Take this from a guy who has worked for both the top two carriers in the US. Jourles, I'm the Network

• G Money
    G Money

Well it was odd as there were 4 people in the vehicle, 3 different cell providers between all of us and nobody had service but Onstar worked!

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Can Onstar find a stolen car?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit