OnStar cracked up to be, in a crack-up like this?

by Fatfreek 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

The following OnStar advertisment page from TIME has me puzzled. You will see that the victim is being rescued and that he is in the middle of some desert wilderness.

The problem I have with this ad is based on my road trip experience last summer and the premise of OnStar's claim that you must have cell phone coverage. When we were in the vast wide open spaces that looked like that picture; those in Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas -- you get the picture -- we, all four of us, had no cell phone signal. As we got closer to populated areas, yes, the signal bars began to increase.

True, we use AT&T (formerly Cingular). Perhaps other carriers do better out in the boonies. Yes -- No? Perhaps OnStar is based on a composite of all carriers?

What's your take?

Len Miller

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I thought it was based GPS. Shows you how much I know!

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

I thought it was based GPS.

That's what I thought when we went car shopping last year. It's actually based on both -- GPS for automobile location, cellular for communication.

Len

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Doesn't necessarily look too remote for me. Looks like some parts of California. But you have a good point. I've once been in an emergency in a "remote" area outside of cell coverage. That's why we now own a sat phone. We got it when we went into the Australian outback, for emergency purposes (in addition to a GPS beacon). Luckily we never had to use it, but it is nice to have just in case.

• VM44
    VM44

Does automobile windshield glass really "shatter" like that?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Do you think the GPS is activated if the air bags go off/on *whatever*?

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    Does automobile windshield glass really "shatter" like that?

Not really. I see plenty of smashed-up cars at work; the windshield is safety glass, so it doesn't shatter into sharp points like the photo would....even in a head-on collision with a bicyclist, the glass merely cratered due to the body.

• jefferywhat
    jefferywhat

FYI, most advertising guidelines stipulate that if a photo or film is shot advertising a service, the service provider must be able to prove that their service is available where the shot was taken.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

"...the premise of OnStar's claim that you must have cell phone coverage."

Well... I can tell you... from personal experience with this... that what they are using is a mix of GPS (satellite-based locator) and cell phone.

I have evaluated a system similar to OnStar along IH-10 from California to Texas. The only locations along the way where we had issues were where the GPS couldn't 'see' us... and that was rare - and usually in a stretch that was hilly - I believe it was in Arizonia. Cell phone coverage was pretty good all along the way - and getting better every day - with more cell towers going up.

Anyway... OnStar originally used an analog cell phone for their voice service... but that portion of the RF spectrum has recently been re-allocated by the FCC, and so all of the analog cell phone services have been discontinued as of... ohhhh... early February of 2008 (this year) - if I'm not mistaken.

This is one reason that GM has told some of their customers (many are older, retired folks) that they need to purchase a newer GM vehicle to continue their OnStar services - as the newer OnStar equipped vehicles use the newer digital cell phones in them.

Long story short... this OnStar ad is most likely accurate - if you are/were using the older analog cell phones.

I could say more... but I might be revealing details of our testing that probably shouldn't be revealed.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

I thought that the onstar telephone system was satellite based, therefore cell towers werent necessary, I guess I was wrong.

2 years ago, my grandparents took a ride in my cousins new suburban and they went on the dirt roads in Kentucky. They pushed the onstar button and asked the operator where they were, all the onstar operator could say was " you are somewhere in Kentucky" aparently onstar couldnt even tell them where they were.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit