Witness Sister suffers a Stroke - See Niece & Nephew 1st time ,11 years

by flipper 23 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Well , my sister who is 56, a witness, suffered a stroke a few days ago and I saw her at the hospital yesterday from afternoon till mid evening. She is doing better than a few days ago as she is able to finally move her right arm a little bit which she had not been able to Wednesday after the stroke. She can talk , but is still speaking with difficulty a bit . She is going to make it thankfully , but will have to be in physical therapy for about 3 weeks, perhaps a month in a care location. This sister had suffered abuse in a bad witness marriage in the 1980's , and had a lot of stress and health problems she has endured , so this was another sad occurrence she is going to have to deal with. I really feel sad she is having to go through this - with all she has been through in her life already. She will get through it - but it will take patience and time.

As sad as it was , however I had the chance to see her daughter 34 and son 30 who I had not seen in 11 years ! My niece and nephew ! My niece is still a witness , married 2 children 7 and 2 years old. My nephew has not been a witness since 15 years old. So, we had a lot of time to talk about things and catch up on each others lives when we went to dinner away from the hospital. Of course , you folks know me don't ya ? Was I going to let an opportunity like this slip away to spread a little " real truth " education to my witness relatives ? You guessed it ! LOL!

I kind of filled both of them in on my current life ,past hassles with the elders, how happy the new year and a half marriage is , and of course my nephew vigorously agreed with me on everything. But to my surprise my niece is not as deep in the witnesses as I thought ! When I brought her up to speed on the Watchtower child abuse settlements ( which of course she knew nothing about ) she stated that her and her husband if anybody hurt their children or she heard of others suffering child abuse , she didn't care what the elders said - she would go straight to the authorities first , no questions asked ! She agreed with me that there is much badness that goes on in the witness organization , but her first priority is her husband and children , and she doesn't care about what people think in the congregation! She stated, " People hassle me because I don't pioneer ! And I tell them I have 2 young children , they are my priority and you don't have to put a bunch of field service time in to please God ! It is what's in your heart that counts !Not how other people judge you ! " I was so impressed by her individuality and she really appreciated me telling her about the Watchtower child abuse cases. I told her my motive was out of love for her children , and my love for her . Also that I respected that she still went to meetings , but she also understood why I don't after all I've experienced. So, it was a great conversation, about an hour of explaining things to her she had never heard from anyone on the inside of the organization , and hopefully in time it will make her think ! I guarantee you- if anybody ever messes her over , I think she is a strong enough person she would leave the witness cult !

So, I traded phone numbers with my niece and nephew , told them I was so proud of them in supporting their mom , having travelled 10 to 12 hours to be by her side ! We said we would keep in touch, so I feel like I've gained back a niece and nephew ! They respect my fading stand and want to be close. I can't tell you how happy that makes me ! Thanks for reading this, I look forward to any comments or suggestions you might have ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

That is very cool Flipper!!!!

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Its a real good sign that she will have a full recovery since she has speech and some use of her arm. Its unfortunate that it seems its mostly times like this that draws

families together. But its great you had this time to connect again with your niece & nephew perhaps paving the way for further communication.

Best wishes for your sister!

Hope4Others

• flipper
    flipper

DOGISGOD- Thanks. It is a very good feeling to re-connect with my niece and nephew- however I wish it had been under happier circumstances. It is strange at times what it takes to bring families back together in as life goes on

• MochaLatte
    MochaLatte

Flipper, I wish the best for your sister. Thanks so much for sharing that wonderful experience with your niece and nephew. Stories like these give me hope for my friends and family still on the inside. I hope you're able to stay in touch with them. ML

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Flipper.....I could sense the happiness in your voice when we chatted this afternoon. Family can always be trying on us. itwas good to hear also of the progress in talking with your niece. Take care buddy.

NMG

• flipper
    flipper

HOPE4OTHERS- Thanks for the best wishes ! I agree. It's strange how times like these bring us together.I'm so glad I connected with my niece and nephew and I look forward to future meetings.

MOCHALATTE- Thank you Moch ! Where there is life there is hope ! Hopefully some in all our families on the inside of the witnesses may have a change of heart some day. I will keep in touch with my niece and nephew though ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

NOMOREGUILT- Hey thanks bud. I appreciate it. I really was pleasantly surprised at the good reception I got by my niece and nephew. I look forward to building up a relationship with them. Thanks friend, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• wings
    wings

So sorry for your sister. I understand strokes, she could have a fragile life after this.

I am so glad for your experience with your niece and nephew....I know from here that you will give it your best, you are an awsome uncle I am sure. I'm glad they will have a chance to know that. Maybe so much more for them. Great opportunity.

• flipper
    flipper

WINGS- I do feel my sister's life is going to be a lot tougher also. I hope she gets the support she needs from my older brother and his wife who live a couple miles from her because my parents are 82 and 80 and can't take the whole load on themselves. My wife and I live 4 hours away so it's a bit tough for us to do as much as we'd like to help. I do feel a great opportunity has opened up to get to know my niece and nephew though. Love em lots ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit