Why Should I Believe in God?

by hamilcarr 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Because of the impossibility of the contrary

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    awakened 07 you bring up the false doctrine that you can be saved then condemned. that my friend is not true. once you are saved you are saved. you are not saved by works nor are you saved by deeds. once you accept Christ as your personal savior that is it. you cannot do anything to loose salvation. if you could then why get saved in the first place. why did Christ die? He died once for all. so there is nothing we can do either good or bad to loose it. God's word means what it says. If it didnt then God would be a liar and we know He cannot do that.eph 2: 8-10 tells us this. You only need faith to be saved

OK, I see this is going nowhere, and I didn't expect it to:

awakened 07 you bring up the false doctrine that you can be saved then condemned. that my friend is not true. once you are saved you are saved. you are not saved by works nor are you saved by deeds.

...Yes - according to your, personal, current belief. Which was my point really. Actually, I should add that you again misunderstood me; I didn't comment on the belief of "once saved, always saved" at all. What I said was that other religions and other, quite different Christian denominations believe very differently from you, so since they are not saved in the first place according to your beliefs, they can very well be condemned according to your beliefs. As can you, by their understanding of their God, or even of the same scriptures, in the case of other Christian denominations. Or are you saying that absolutely every single human on the planet will be saved, no matter what they believe, because of Jesus' sacrifice? That no one will be condemned? I seem to remember you believing in Hell, which would then be a rather empty place, so I assume you believe that people can be condemned if they don't believe like you do.

God's word means what it says. If it didnt then God would be a liar and we know He cannot do that.eph 2: 8-10 tells us this.

I find this fascinating, I truly do. 'We know God cannot be a liar because it says so in the book that says it's the word of God'. Notwithstanding, the same, non-lying book has generated several different views on this matter alone. Yours is of course the correct one, though, I get that, and you would probably argue that the Bible never was confused on the matter, but have been confused by the understanding of fallible men. The same claim is made by people of all the other beliefs too though. They are also correct, according to them, even though they may believe the opposite of you based on the same book.

Again - I'm not going to bother to try and change your mind - not that I could anyway - but I hope at least a few lurkers read this and understand a thing or two from reading it.

• Caedes
    Caedes

DD,

I think it is going too far to say that the concept of god is entirely impossible, implausible perhaps, unlikely. But not impossible, in much the same way that unicorns are implausible and unlikely. The key thing about god, leprechauns and unicorns is that there is not one shred of empirical evidence for any of them. There seems to be plenty of evidence for a naturalistic view of the universe however.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Caedes

I'm saying it's impossible for God not to exist.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Deputy Dog:

I'm saying it's impossible for God not to exist.

Really? Why? Seems to me it would be easy for God not to exist. All the other gods manage it.

How is the non-existence of an invisible all-powerful timeless intelligent person impossible?

• Caedes
    Caedes

DD,

REALLY!

Sometimes things go straight over people's heads.

• real one
    real one

this is exactly why Jesus said you need to have the heart of a child when you come to him because all this going back and forth is ridiculous. A child believes what you tell them open heartedly but most of you are so stubborn like Jesus said if a dead person appeared to you you still wouldnt believe! or something to that effect..please correct me if im wrong

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> Jesus said you need to have the heart of a child when you come to him because all this going back and forth is ridiculous. A child believes what you tell them open heartedly

I thought it was the child's humility -- not his gullibility -- that Jesus was highlighting. Am I wrong on that?

Dave

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

A truly sincere believer here folks. Preaches to the empty spaces of the internet.

NMG

• real one
    real one

are you calling jwd empty spaces,nomore guilt? thats mean

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit