LADIES: .....Do you HONESTLY want your husband to be your best friend?

by Bourne 27 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Well, my husband and I were friends before we started dating.

I think your spouse has to be your friend, someone you can trust with your feelings, hopes, desires and be able to express yourself unreservedly. Someone that you can count on 100%. That being said each of you should have outside interests and friends.

BB

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

My husband and I are totally different people, with different interests in many areas. But he is my best friend.

He knows everything about me and totally accepts me as I am. It was not alway like that though. When we

were JWs, I allowed myself to be subservient to him and he accepted that.

Now that we are out of that control, things are so better. I could always share my heart with him, but now we have

more respect for each other. Next year will be our 60th anniversary. Hope we make it together.

Love and hugs,

Gramma Velta

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

Are you sure your 37 years old?"

I'm not sure if I should be offended or flattered..........

Bourne

Sorry for the word choice error. It should be you're, not your. As for offended v. flattered...questioning is a good thing!

Justitia

• Aphrodite
    Aphrodite

My husband was my best friend for several years from 15 yo, then one day I realised I loved him. We got married. We are still best friends 18 years later and no one knows us like we know each other.

• megaflower
    megaflower

I think the best marriages are when you are best friends. There is nothing that my husband and I do not share. We are each others best friends and I would not have it any other way. We will be celebrating our 28 anniversary soon.

• Bourne
    Bourne

Well, the opinion so far seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of HAVING your husband be your best friend. So...I applaude you ladies for

your input and wish you all years of wedded bliss. Keep the heartfelt comments coming......

Bourne

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

Jt~Had some good things to say. lol

And well as far as friends I believe love for people does not divide it grows so you can be very attached and "best friends with several people" but the hard truth is, you do good to get out of this life with one true friend. So you that have one. Concider yourself truly rich, and if they are one and the same a husband and a friend. WOW. And if a husband friend and lover...well that is amazing and a beautiful thing.

Now if this has lasted through time and and storms. That speaks volumes if truly communication has been reached and both are blooming and happy.

A rare, rare thing indeed.

• serendipity
    serendipity

I want an emotional connection with my husband. To have that emotional connection, I have to be able to share my problems, fears, interests, successes, hopes and dreams and feel affirmed when I share them. I need to know he will be dependable and trustworthy so I can feel safe and secure. I expect most of these things from a best friend as well. I realize people marry for various reasons, but for me, at this point in my life, I still expect to marry my best friend.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for a married couple to have different friends to share different interests. The hubby doesn't have to fill every need in a marriage.

• yknot
    yknot

Absolutely NOT!

We have common interest and can work as a team, but "best friend" would be uncomfortable and would turn him into a metrosexual (not happening)

I like to think we have a good relationship because we balance each other out, best friends are required to let you wallow in self-pity, veg on a tub of Blue Bell and get mani/pedis and eyebrow shaping. My husband serves as the person who says 'get over it, go take a hike around the track, and lets go canoeing!

Their usually are two types of daters: those who are 'friends' first and then date or those who base things on self awareness and chemistry.

• flipper
    flipper

BOURNE- Well , I'm not a lady . This is a male dolphin avatar now - however my wife and I are best friends , we have similar interests, same weird quirky humor, laugh at crazy stuff, love hiking in the mountains, love music ( blues and rock ) , and are each others biggest support and fan ! Yes, we do have friends , but when all is said and done , we would rather be with each other than anyone else ! Married a year and a half look forward to many more ! Best friends works great ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit