Having a good conscience although doing things not approved

by JH 14 Replies latest jw friends

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

That would be really hard, sacolton... makes a lot of sense.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I'm with Satanus. I was very sensitive to the endless 'True Christians should ___', 'True Christians would never ___', etc. statements in the literature and from the platform, and I couldn't live up to it all. The guilt got to be too much.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I'm with Satanus. I was very sensitive to the endless 'True Christians should ___', 'True Christians would never ___', etc. statements in the literature and from the platform, and I couldn't live up to it all. The guilt got to be too much.

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Velvetann ....I was exactly that way too ! I took every bit of the 'A true christian would never advice " ..to heart . I was never happy with myself because I could never live up to all the regulations . Stupid things would cause serious guilt feelings for me like watching some PG-13 movie and having someone say at the meeting how bad that movie was for true chistians .I would mentally beat myself up over little things like that .

It is so clear to me now why so many ,including myself, were always so damn depressed . Not until I was starting to fade did I even realize I had relinquished my conscience over to the Society. I had learned to not listen to my own inner voice , but allowed outsiders to over-rule my own thinking .

For years I battled with my inner self over two main issues . This caused me to end up with severe depression and panic attacks . I feel so stupid , and immature now looking back , but it demonstrates the control these people have over others lives .

The first issue was whether I should follow my heart and love my older brother and continue normal family association with him since he was Da'd at 18 for joining the military . My own conscience made me feel I knew him best and felt Jesus really taught forgiveness and love and I should reflect that , but at meetings I was repeatedly advised "Our own hearts are treacherous don't listen to it " Rather listen to the FS and their counsil to shun even family members not talking with them unless it was for emergency family business. So for years I would have limited contact with him and when I did I would feel guilty .

The other issue dealt with what a married couple could or couldn't do in their own bedroom .Pleasing my own mate became a serious guilt issue for me .

Now it feels like a huge burden has been lifted off my shoulders . I still consider myself a conscientious person BUT now it is definitely MY conscience making the descions . I no longer feel guilty over too many things !

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Why don't we all just face up to the facts....At one time we WERE JW's. Now we aren't for the most part. While we were, we were all carrying guilt about something because that was what was required of us in order to serve the grand poobah!!!

My JWD moniker says all that I need to say on the subject post........

NOMOREGUILT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit