Is This a Universal Characteristic of Religion?

by hamilcarr 26 Replies latest jw friends

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Hi Hamil:

"Salvation" is a bit of a loaded term. It seems to connote "grace", another emotive term. Sadly, a semantic exercise might be needed..."salvation" perhaps from the root "salve", something for relief of a symptom? Or a more religionist, "deliverance from the power and penalty of sin"?

It seems when I hear people speak of the Christain salvation they are bringing in elements of perfect deliverance from a all-powerful source, provided in an unconditional way - yet often predicated on a triggering event from a supplicant (e.g., ascribing to a belief or performing an act, often ritual in nature).

This dynamic seems to be in Christian doctrines, as well as perhaps Judaism and Islam, though in the latter there is perhaps a more marked emphasis on adherence to customary or ritual law as opposed to an internal conviction as the trigger for salvation.

A major difference (to me) between Christian and the more recent Eastern faiths is that Christianity (especially among the fundamentalist and evangelical branches) seems to offer salvation (an internal experience of relief) from the penalty of sin (an internal experience of guilt) in a way that is divorced from the external world. No specific act of falling short or sinning is needed (through the concept of Adamic sin) nor is any external act of contrition necessary, yet the concept of salvation continues to have power and is placed in a primary position. In short, you personally may have never sinned, yet need salvation; you personally may need never act to undo the damage of your sins, yet through the power of belief you can put them behind you. In some belief systems, you may yet continue to sin, yet through the power of your belief (the assertion of your relationship with Christ or the assertion of your belief in him or his power) your salvation is assured (as an internal experience or position).

This seems to differ from Judaism, et al, where salvation is instead achieved as a result of following a "law". The "law" itself doesn't grant you slavation, but following the law will keep you out of trouble or on the good side of the street. This doesn't really seem to be the same as the Christian salvation, because it isn't granted unconditionally.

This contrasts markedly with the Buddhist schools I am familiar with, since Buddhism doesn't really offer salvation. There is no central entity that grants salvation, there is nothing conditional nor unconditional about it. There is deliverance, but this is achieved not through belief nor act: it is just a natural result of living. Suffering in Buddhist thought is a result of attachment (greed or fear), and it is up to the individual to release these to gain peace. While there are practices that lay out ways to achieve this, Christian salvation as an act of grace or the reward of conviction seems different.

That suffering exists (physical, emotional, what have you) does not seem to be solely in the province of religion. The non-religious may have more freedom to determine whether suffering exists, or what causes suffering. So, what the religious would call the need for salvation (suffering) is not necessarily only in religion. Within religion, though, there is often the necessary belief that suffering exists.

Salvation as relief from suffering (alone) has so many possible applications that it cannot possibly be solely a religious expression. It can, like a salve, be a purely medical or physical dynamic.

But salvation from a theofic source is, by definition, something only available through a spiritualistic paradigm - and only through a spectrum of religious conviction.

In that sense, yes, salvation is only available within (and only demanded within) a religious framework.

These are given as theologically based salvation forms:

* being saved from something, such as suffering or the punishment of sin - also called deliverance

Since sin is a religious concept (breaking a divine law), this by definition only takes place within religion. Many religions, though not all, would have this as a hallmark.

* being saved for something, such as an afterlife or participating in the Reign of God - also called redemption

Without semantic appeals, it's hard to see Buddhism proposing a Reign of God - therefore, again, this would not be a "universal hallmark" of religion.

* being saved through a process

If "being saved" might include simple release or relief (without the typical "trappings" of Christian salvation as discussed in the early part of this post), then perhaps most if not all religions offer this kind of "salvation".

I would venture to say that a principal function of religion is to offer an explanation (and a relief) from suffering. A Buddhist perspective might include the notion that "suffering" occurs when attachment causes pain, and while pain is unavoidable you can avoid suffering through enlightenment, so we could include Buddhism in that.

The danger is that "salvation" is a coded word in our culture, and so it merits scrutiny before univeral application.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Wow Void.

That is quite a thorough treatment of the term!!

Thanks,

Burn

• Budda
    Budda

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

1. Life means suffering.

To live means to suffer, because the human nature is not perfect and neither is the world we live in. During our lifetime, we inevitably have to endure physical suffering such as pain, sickness, injury, tiredness, old age, and eventually death; and we have to endure psychological suffering like sadness, fear, frustration, disappointment, and depression. Although there are different degrees of suffering and there are also positive experiences in life that we perceive as the opposite of suffering, such as ease, comfort and happiness, life in its totality is imperfect and incomplete, because our world is subject to impermanence. This means we are never able to keep permanently what we strive for, and just as happy moments pass by, we ourselves and our loved ones will pass away one day, too.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

The origin of suffering is attachment to transient things and the ignorance thereof. Transient things do not only include the physical objects that surround us, but also ideas, and -in a greater sense- all objects of our perception. Ignorance is the lack of understanding of how our mind is attached to impermanent things. The reasons for suffering are desire, passion, ardour, pursuit of wealth and prestige, striving for fame and popularity, or in short: craving and clinging. Because the objects of our attachment are transient, their loss is inevitable, thus suffering will necessarily follow. Objects of attachment also include the idea of a "self" which is a delusion, because there is no abiding self. What we call "self" is just an imagined entity, and we are merely a part of the ceaseless becoming of the universe.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

The cessation of suffering can be attained through nirodha. Nirodha means the unmaking of sensual craving and conceptual attachment. The third noble truth expresses the idea that suffering can be ended by attaining dispassion. Nirodha extinguishes all forms of clinging and attachment. This means that suffering can be overcome through human activity, simply by removing the cause of suffering. Attaining and perfecting dispassion is a process of many levels that ultimately results in the state of Nirvana. Nirvana means freedom from all worries, troubles, complexes, fabrications and ideas. Nirvana is not comprehensible for those who have not attained it.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

There is a path to the end of suffering - a gradual path of self-improvement, which is described more detailed in the Eightfold Path. It is the middle way between the two extremes of excessive self-indulgence (hedonism) and excessive self-mortification (asceticism); and it leads to the end of the cycle of rebirth. The latter quality discerns it from other paths which are merely "wandering on the wheel of becoming", because these do not have a final object. The path to the end of suffering can extend over many lifetimes, throughout which every individual rebirth is subject to karmic conditioning. Craving, ignorance, delusions, and its effects will disappear gradually, as progress is made on the path.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The Baha'i Faith promulgates the concept that individuals attaint their intended development (not the same idea as salvation) through working for the "salvation" of all of mankind. The term employed is "ever advancing civilization" as the collective future of humanity. So I guess personal "salvation" is not at issue, but the mutually reinforcing relationship between the individual and the society in which one lives is what is important. carmel

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

Just wondering if the main reason for our existence is to suffer, then what's the point of being here? Suffering is common, but what for?

• Zico
    Zico

Hi Hamilcarr,

I feel I should add something since you mentioned my name, but I'm not sure what to say!

I don't know about salvation being universal. All religions point to something beyond this life, and connecting to that 'something' whatever that 'something' is believed to be is the purpose of each religion. If connecting to that 'something' constitutes salvation, then I would agree it's a universal characteristic.

• Sad emo
    Sad emo
    Suffering is common, but what for?

Maybe its that suffering is a condition which draws humans closer to each other. For example when the world is all going well, people don't always need each other, but see what happens when there is anything wrong - from a missing child to a huge scale disaster - people who have never met each other suddenly find the ability to pool resources and support the efforts to make things right again.

Perhaps history really is doomed to repeat itself until we learn to be close to each other at all times - to consider one another's needs. Maybe that's 'salvation'. It kinda links to what I wrote last night too, that 'sin' is that which prevents us from getting along with each other.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Great comments! Void, thanks for your scholarly and informative exposé on the word salvation.

That suffering exists (physical, emotional, what have you) does not seem to be solely in the province of religion. The non-religious may have more freedom to determine whether suffering exists, or what causes suffering. So, what the religious would call the need for salvation (suffering) is not necessarily only in religion. Within religion, though, there is often the necessary belief that suffering exists.

I think the last part of this quote is very important. Religion presupposes suffering as being an inherent part of human nature --- it's necessary for any belief system to stress the more negative aspects of earthly life. I'm afraid this may prevent believers from affirmatively accepting their earthly life .

• Gotchaby
    Gotchaby

Universal characteristic of religion? Humans worship.

• myelaine
    myelaine

I don't know that there is a universal characteristic of religion...except the desire to reach some kind of higher plain.

I'll post this here if you don't mind, as it relates to this topic.

voideater said:

"This seems to differ from Judaism, et al, where salvation is instead achieved as a result of following a "law". The "law" itself doesn't grant you slavation, but following the law will keep you out of trouble or on the good side of the street. This doesn't really seem to be the same as the Christian salvation, because it isn't granted unconditionally." the "law" is a hedge around a certain people group...this group adhereing to the "law giver" has been given an inheritance...this inheritance is given freely. carmel said: The Baha'i Faith promulgates the concept that individuals attaint their intended development (not the same idea as salvation) through working for the "salvation" of all of mankind. The term employed is "ever advancing civilization" as the collective future of humanity. So I guess personal "salvation" is not at issue, but the mutually reinforcing relationship between the individual and the society in which one lives is what is important. the Baha'i Faith is noble and relevent because of it's movement towards a brotherhood of equal opportunity. I see in it a model of the Kingdom of God, and all that He desires for His people, as other religions are self focused...reaching a personal level of peace, nirvana, bliss, awareness of the divine...regardless of who you are trying to commune with the result would be personal attainment...to facilitate this, social awareness needs to be blocked out. How many guru's promise a personal "paradise" by following their methods. They ignore completely the fact that there are others worse off and in need of care...others that can't afford their books and tapes are out of luck I guess. Judaism and Christianity are different in that the other person is, ideally, the concern. And what a wonderful starting point for the introduction of an everlasting kingdom of righteousness that would benefit all people.(something eternal not temporal). It is interesting that many people in and out of "religion" will promote the same things that Jesus promoted peace, love, unity...These things certainly are good but...what about love God first...The Bible speaks specifically of opposition to the God of the Bible...not opposition to love, peace, unity, etc. and this can be seem in todays society in that we are willing to concede that something must be done to protect what we have and our future on this planet...but apart from God...which is unfortunate because this time we live in and what we do is temporal. And what God has promised is eternal...people have been deceived into ignoring this eternal and embracing the temporal...this is most ungrateful and self-centered, because we can't help all the people all the time. God promises His eternal Kingdom on earth...populated by His people... A temporal, semi-righteous society is in fact doomed to fail because it is not in His plan. Which is why the Bible tells us about the eternal kingdom and Gods plan to eliminate the temporal...it is a warning to us. God loves us and wants more for us than we(as a temporal semi-righteous)society are able to provide. Why do you think that God said that all our righteous deeds are as filthy rags(Isaiah 64:6)...but the righteous acts of the saints are as fine linen(rev.19:8)...by rejecting God's ONLY means of redeeming people for life in His kingdom...the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. Matthew 11:12 You meet him who rejoices and does righteousness, who remembers You in Your ways. You are indeed angry, for we have sinned--in these ways we continue; and we need to be saved. Isaiah 64:5 love michelle

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit