Shocking rules in the past/ present of society...

by cognac 39 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hotspur
    hotspur

I recall one cong in the UK made a rule that all speakers had to wear white shirts. This was fine and dandy until the visiting speaker turned up wearing blue shirt. This was fixed quite easily by the cong. buying a set of 'standard' shirts of all sizes/shapes so any errant speaker could fit their rules - they were asked to change into what was expected. Quite unbelievable but perfectly true. Can't say you'd df'd for it but what a way to go!

• cognac
    cognac

Welcome Hotspur!!!

• StAnn
    StAnn

oompa, yes, the sodomy exclusion is true. I had forgotten about that. I remember that one of the brother's in my congregation was disabled and made windchimes to sell for income and had to stop that when an asian family joined our congregation because it could "stumble" them. I also remember Mom packing up (but not getting rid of) all of her jade jewelry.

I've been out for so long that I had forgotten all this insanity. How did we live like this?

• StAnn
    StAnn

I remember one time a newly baptized JW was freaking out because her husband had bought a box of Lucky Charms cereal. She was going nuts. A "forward thinking" elder told her that, so long as she didn't believe in and use the cereal as a "lucky charm" it was okay to eat it. The newbie just didn't believe him so he turned to me and asked, "Would you let your child eat Lucky Charms?" I answered, "Of course not." He sighed a frustrated sigh and said, "Why not?" I answered, truthfully, "Because it's presweetened." He just shook his head.

Regarding a car in the driveway being considered proof of fornication, once a brother was seen at an all-night donut shop in the middle of the night with a woman not his wife. The elders were called in and took him into the back for a committee meeting. Turns out, the brother's biological sister was flying from New York to Los Angeles and scheduled her flight to stop over for the night in our town. They hadn't seen each other in a year. She spent the entire layover sitting at the donut shop with her brother, looking at pictures and catching up, then he took her back to the airport to catch her early morning flight. Boy, did we ever have to listen to talks about "gossiping" for months.

• StAnn
    StAnn

Oh, I just rememberd, it was considered wrong for a brother to wear a short-sleeved dress shirt. It was okay to roll up the sleeves of a long-sleeved dress shirt in hot weather, but you'd better not be caught wearing a short-sleeved dress shirt under your suitcoat.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

DON'T DON'T DON'T buy anything at a swap meet, garage sale, yard sale, or from a private party because DEMONS reside in these items.....

• Layla33
    Layla33

I just think it is really interesting the foolery of these rules, some of them are downright ridiculous.

A bow tie? Buying a box from a garage sale and now you have invited in the exorcist? Please.

• sacolton
    sacolton

alt

You ARE so in trouble 'cuz I'm tellin'!
    Report yourself to your local Elder for Reproving and a SEVERE caning!
    (We do this out of love because we care.)

• cognac
    cognac
    (We do this out of love because we care.)

ROTFLOL -

I can't believe I actually believed that crap...

• blondie
    blondie

Men's hair length

Men's side burns

No shaved heads

Some shave 2 times to get rid of beard shadow

Requiring nylons even in hot summer

No denim shirts

No skirt slits

Cleavage rules

See its lots of things that a grownup adult should be able to know and not need "help"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit