While You Were A Witness, Did You Ever "Do" Drugs?

by minimus 23 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Was it ever a temptation, especially if you did it before?

• cognac
    cognac

Does weed count?

If so, I tried a couple of puffs as a teenager... Didn't do anything for me at all...

• minimus
    minimus

I never did drugs. Really not my thing. But a percocet can feel pretty good.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Does weed count?

If so, I tried a couple of puffs as a teenager... Didn't do anything for me at all...

Ditto, but I liked it. Burn

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I occasionally smoked weed with a friend from work and a biker who lived a few blocks away.

W

• willyloman
    willyloman

I have to be careful in telling this story to protect privacy of others. But here is the outline of a strange but true story involving a 'prominent' elder in my old circuit:

We got a call from a woman who grew up in his congo, someone we have known for years and are close to. The elder was very charismatic, brilliant speaker, handsome guy, with a unique talent that made him a lot of money and required him to travel a lot. Everybody wanted to be him. Big house, beautiful wife, great kids. His lifestyle was outside the box for a dub, but otherwise "beyond reproach." And he was a real hardliner when it came to the rules. He often counseled teenagers and really read them the riot act, and he connected with them by telling him about his own debauched youth and the trouble he got into before he came back home to the JW religion.

The woman telling us the story was one of those teenagers, now in her 30s, no longer a dub. She grew up and moved to a big city where she has a career that puts her in contact with lots of heavy-hitters in an industry that is the same one the elder worked in. In her travels, she met and became friends with a woman whose husband, it turned out, knows this elder. It seems they used to meet up a industry conferences once or twice a year, which were held at some distance from their respective homes. When she learned this, she recalled hearing the elder talking about a guy that was a valuable contact in the city, responsible for getting him a lot of lucrative work, and that they used to always see each other at conferences. She felt like she almost "knew" the husband and was surprised to be talking to someone she had heard stories about forever. It was like, "So you're the 'David' I've been hearing about all these years!"

'David' told her that the elder was quite a party animal. When the woman told him that X was a JW elder, 'David' was totally shocked! He said that during these conferences, he and the elder entertained colleagues and partied for days. He said that by "partying" he was referring to drugs, and that he and the "elder" had snorted lines of coke on at least a couple of occasions. The elder was known among this group of party-hearty guys as not just a reluctant participant but as the first guy to get to the party and the last guy to leave. 'David' could not have been more surprised if she'd told him the elder was an Al Queda terrorist.

This woman was pissed, since she had borne the brunt of this elder's "counseling" for years as a teenager - during the time he was attending these conferences and living a double life.

I knew the elder well and "served" with him for years. He told me once in confidence that when he had "left the Truth" for several years as a young man, he'd experimented with drugs, including cocaine. Of course, it didn't occur to me that he was still using. Still, I was not surprised to learn about this.

I have come to realize that the unnaturally restrictions placed on dubs causes many of them to act out in ways like this, especially when they think they will not be discovered.

• Twitch
    Twitch

Yea, I was teen dub when I smoked my first fattie and liked it. It wasn't long after that I really got into music and picked up a guitar. Sometime later I met a girl. Then I left the dubs. But that wasn't her fault,.....;)

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

No Minimus but now..........do you know where I can score some Pot??? I would like to get some!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Nope, nada. Never smoked, didn't drink, nothing stronger than aspirin. Everything under the sun was available from the kids in the Hall (no relation), but I wasn't interested. That basically lasted until my 30's and by that time I was outta there.

• flipper
    flipper

Never tried drugs as a teenager, or as an adult. I like wine, occasional margarita's with Mexican food - or by themselves. But at age 48 - still have never done one illegal drug - and proud of it ! No sense in starting now ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit