Islam-What the west needs to know.

by avishai 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

OBVES-- the bible has ruined more lives than it ever helped because of very sick religions and people that can't see it for what it is and twist everything in it for their own personal power and wealth .The Koran is a complete fabricated book written by a primitive war like tribe ,once again needing to justify their insanity somehow, so why not a "holy book"? I don't even know how this mohammed fellow is even a prophet , I don't think there is one prediction stated that has come true to date by him.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

OBVES: You write that "there cannot be two books that Yahweh God accepts as sacred." And why not, may I ask? I read somewhere that only madmen and savages claim to know the mind of God. Which one are you? Do you claim to know the mind of God so well that you could propose that God accepts one single book as sacred? In my opinion, this premise is fundamentally fallacious, that is to say, false. If God is infinite, then it only stands to reason that God can be approached in a multiplicity of ways, according to the great variety of cultural traditions and mores that are currently present in the world. Simply stated, people in different cultures approach the Ineffable in various ways.

Your second premise - that the Qu'ran contradicts the Bible - is also wrong. In fact, the two complement each other to a great degree. They share the same stories and the same cast of characters - Abraham; Moses; Issac: Job; and Mary (among others) are all found in both the Bible and the Qu'ran. And even if it could be said that the Qu'ran does contradict the Bible, one could also advance the argument that the Bible contradicts itself. This is because the Bible was written by humans over a period of many hundreds of years. It is a hodge-podge of writings, edited and redacted by people living in various cultures and speaking various languages. The people who edited and compiled the Bible were separated from each other by geography and history. It often occurred that the people who were editing the Bible at a given time did not understand the people who had edited the Bible in earlier historical eras. People often forget that Judaism, Islam and Christianity are all "Oriental imports," that is to say that they all began in the Levant - the Middle East - and spread westward into Europe and later in the "New World". People also often forget that there is a huge gulf - a separation - between the thinking and worldview of ancient middle eastern people and contemporary societies.

There is no reason to choose the Bible over the Qu'ran, or vice-versa. At the heart of each are the two most important commandments of all - to love God [in whatever way you conceive of God] with your whole heart, and to love other people as you would love yourself. As a famous rabbi once said, that is the essence of the Torah; all else is merely commentary.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

OBVES: You write that "there cannot be two books that Yahweh God accepts as sacred." And why not, may I ask? I read somewhere that only madmen and savages claim to know the mind of God. Which one are you? Do you claim to know the mind of God so well that you could propose that God accepts one single book as sacred? In my opinion, this premise is fundamentally fallacious, that is to say, false. If God is infinite, then it only stands to reason that God can be approached in a multiplicity of ways, according to the great variety of cultural traditions and mores that are currently present in the world. Simply stated, people in different cultures approach the Ineffable in various ways.

Your second premise - that the Qu'ran contradicts the Bible - is also wrong. In fact, the two complement each other to a great degree. They share the same stories and the same cast of characters - Abraham; Moses; Issac: Job; and Mary (among others) are all found in both the Bible and the Qu'ran. And even if it could be said that the Qu'ran does contradict the Bible, one could also advance the argument that the Bible contradicts itself. This is because the Bible was written by humans over a period of many hundreds of years. It is a hodge-podge of writings, edited and redacted by people living in various cultures and speaking various languages. The people who edited and compiled the Bible were separated from each other by geography and history. It often occurred that the people who were editing the Bible at a given time did not understand the people who had edited the Bible in earlier historical eras. People often forget that Judaism, Islam and Christianity are all "Oriental imports," that is to say that they all began in the Levant - the Middle East - and spread westward into Europe and later in the "New World". People also often forget that there is a huge gulf - a separation - between the thinking and worldview of ancient middle eastern people and contemporary societies.

There is no reason to choose the Bible over the Qu'ran, or vice-versa. At the heart of each are the two most important commandments of all - to love God [in whatever way you conceive of God] with your whole heart, and to love other people as you would love yourself. As a famous rabbi once said, that is the essence of the Torah; all else is merely commentary.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Robert Spencer from Jihad Watch is in it. And Walid Shoebat. And Bat Ye'or. I am going to download when I get home, thanks.

Burn

• Inquisitor
    Inquisitor

"one could also advance the argument that the Bible contradicts itself. This is because the Bible was written by humans over a period of many hundreds of years. It is a hodge-podge of writings, edited and redacted by people..."

Dear Rapunzel, if OBVES has actually deigned to read your comments to the start of those words, it is at that point that your words provoke thinking in OBVES like water penetrates TEFLON. Good luck!

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

Rapunzel- Great comments. I was surprised to find out recently how many of the Bible's stories and people appear in the Qu'ran.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit