Michael Jackson comments in TV Guide

by Dogpatch 20 Replies latest jw friends

• jeffory
    jeffory

Randy,

About 10 years ago a prominent black elder from LA area who had been on the special commitee list, made reference to the M.J. problem,he said that some of the elder,s lost their positions over the matter , the society brought in a heavyweight from bethel. Then he spoke derisively about "one's who try to void their responsibilities by trying to say that their baptism was invalid".
    It led me to believe he was talking about M>J.. if he did suceed in having his{M>J.} baptism voided it would explain a lot of things.
    jeffory

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Randy,

Yeah, my wife and I found this interview a bit confusing. What makes me wonder if this is OLD info - besides him talking about pioneering at 90 hours - is that I seem to remember him saying exactly the same things in an interview many years ago. All about disguising himself for the ministry, etc. It would be very sloppy journalism for a writer to have used such dated info, but it wouldn't surprise me.
    S4

• MadApostate
    MadApostate

My A.D. edition is 1985, so who knows what might have occurred subsequent.

Penton relates that WTS issued a letter to an inquirer acknowledging MJ was baptised, but same letter goes off on his music, lifestyle, etc.

Penton relates that there were press reports which indicated that MJ was "publicly reproved".

Nothing regarding DA or DF!!!

• Moxy
    Moxy

well i wouldnt trust jackson's understanding of his own standing too much. it certainly doesnt seem he has ever been DA'd or DF'd so if he still wants to call himself a JW, well who cares?

and the pioneer monthly quota certainly WAS 90 hours until 1999. the yearly quota was 1000, and the disparity is chalked up to vacation and sickness, an allowance that was not built into the new 70/840 quota.

mox

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Yes, I agree with Moxy about the hours. As I understood it, the hourly requirement for
    pioneers was 90 per month, with one month for vacation where only 10 hours were required.

So: (90 x 11) + 10 = 1,000

But, yet again, this is a confusing piece of information, because it has been changed for
    a while now. I wonder if TV guide faked the interview by piecing together a 15 year old
    interview and a current one?

• waiting
    waiting
    I wonder if TV guide faked the interview by piecing together a 15 year old interview and a current one?

Remember when TV Guide got caught pasting a picture of Ophrah's head onto Ann Margaret's body? They apologized for their "artistic freedom."

Could it possibly be that a reporter of rock singers/actors could actually be underhanded or just sloppy in their work? Definite possibility - since it seems to be a regular occurrence.

waiting

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

OK, here is the definitive answer, taken from the Official Michael Jackson fan
    club website:

Club Guide
    Is Michael a Jehovah's Witness?
    In April 1987, Michael Jackson announced his departure from the
    Jehovah's Witnesses.

Freshness: Sep 01, 00
    Viewed by 1652 fans.

As well, he is listed in the Guiness Book of World Records for supporting
    the largest number of charities by a pop star - 39. It then lists them all,
    and none of them are JW related.

So, there is something phony about the TV guide interview.

• sf
    sf

sKally pokes cygnus in his eyeball

• waiting
    waiting

howdy running man,

taken from the Official Michael Jackson fan club website:

That's really kinda spooky that you know where the Official Michael Jackson fan club website is............

But it is highly commendable (jw wording) that he is actively donates to 39 charities, none being jw related.

Strange man - Michael Jackson, that is.

waiting

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Thinker showed me the TV Guide interview, and I told him it was a crock. I noticed the hour thing too. And definitely don't think the elders would have ever let him pioneer regardless of the hour requirement. Also I don't think his celebrity shedule would supported regular or auxiliary hours.
    Plus, I distinctly remember an Awake or WT article in the late eighies or early ninties making it clear he was no longer a JW. Can't remember the exact wording or issue, so don't ask. But I do remember being the active witness I was at the time feeling distinctly relieved that the matter had been cleared up.
    I was studying with someone at the time, who kept asking questions. She got baptized in the ninties, so it was probably that time period.
    TW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit