Did Being a J W - Cause You to Be Cynical and Doubt Other People ?

by flipper 22 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

Just Wanted to Bump this thread up to see if being a JW in the past made you become cynical and doubt other people . Peace out, Mr. Flippier

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Of course! Doubtful of scientists doctors everyone.

• dinah
    dinah

Mr. Flipper,

It doesnt seem to have made me cynical. It could just be a trait that I've out-grown. Maybe something in me just didn't believe ALL the lies they told?

The only real problem I have is trusting anything anyone else says about the bible. That's a gift from them, I suppose.

• flipper
    flipper

WITNESS 007- Yeah ! There are lots of people we can doubt out there, doctors, scientists , everyone. Just don't doubt yourself though !

DINAH- I hear you. I trust people in general too, I am not cynical, however I have difficulty as well believing anything from the Bible . I've always been an independent thinker and it caused me to really see through the lies the Watchtower society was handing out as well. I hate being controlled anyway ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• searcher
    searcher

I was never a JW, however, people have taught me to be cynical.

My watchword now is 'Expect the worst and hope for the best'.

So I am rarely disapointed and often pleasently surprised.

• flipper
    flipper

SEARCHER- Good comments ! " Expect the worst and hope for the best ". That is a good motto for many situations in life. I guess it's pretty much how I roll as well

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

My outlook is a bit different:

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect nothing.

YC

• flipper
    flipper

YOURS CHELBIE- Prepare for the worst, hope for the best, expect nothing. That's a good view to have as well ! Good words ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• cognac
    cognac

I've been diagnosed with "Paranoid Personality Disorder"...

My family wonders why...

The problem with me was that I was taught not to trust worldly people but then the closest JWs to me betrayed my trust...

But, honestly, since I've been here, I've worked through a ton of stuff. I've never felt so at peace and content... I'm becoming less jealous, more positive, less argumentative, and for some reason more sexual and just all around happier!

I never knew what was wrong with me before... Now, I think I've figured it out...

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I tend to keep people at arms length and am not a very trusting. I still get the thought 'well you're just being nice to me because you want something'. It's a hard habit to break.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit