New testament contradictions.

by Anti-Christ 48 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Inspired by a certain person who is relatively new here I decided to start a new topic on the bible. I will just mention a few NT contradictions.

1-Jesus birth. In Matthew 2:1 the bible says that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod the great but in Luke 2:2 it says that Jesus was born during the first census of Israel when Quirinius was governor of Syria. The problem with this is that Herod died in 4 BC and the census was in 6-7 AD 10 years after Herod died.

In Luke 2:21-42 we can read that after Jesus is born his parents go to Jerusalem to get Jesus circumcised and to offer the sacrifice of purification. a lot of people hear about the child because of an old lady. later in verse 39-42 Marie and Joseph go back to Galilee and in verse 41 it says that they go year after year to Jerusalem for the passover. The problem with all of this is that in the second chapter of Matthew there is a different story. Herod finds out about the birth of Jesus some time after even if in Luke the old lady was preaching to every body in the temple. Joseph and Marie flee to Egypt and they don't leave until the death of Herod and later his son Archelaus rules in is place so Joseph does not go back to Judea. Now the problem with this is that Archelaus rules for 10 years but in Luke Marie and Joseph travel to Jerusalem year after year, they both can not be right. There is no mention of the slaughter of the infants in Luke, no mention of it any were else.

I think that's a lot for now. I will have more later. Your comments are welcome.

• real one
    real one

here you are talking about 2 different accounts of a story. do you think that you and i could tell something we witnessed the same way. you guys read too much into stuff.if i won a million dollars does it matter how i won it or what. who cares as long as you know i got the money. you will most likely not prove contradictions in the Bible cause everytime someone tries to do that it gets refuted.lets get to the meat of the matter

• veradico
    veradico

Hey, Anti Christ! Have you encountered http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/? It's an interesting place to glance at when you're first looking at a text. Of course, the scholarly commentaries are even better. The point is not that there are "contradictions" but all the cool stuff the subtle differences and discrepancies between the texts reveal.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    here you are talking about 2 different accounts of a story. do you think that you and i could tell something we witnessed the same way. you guys read too much into stuff.if i won a million dollars does it matter how i won it or what. who cares as long as you know i got the money. you will most likely not prove contradictions in the Bible cause everytime someone tries to do that it gets refuted.lets get to the meat of the matter

First of all the people who wrote these verse did not witness anything, they were not there when it append. Second "the two accounts of the story" as you say can not both be true, one account says that Joseph and Mary fled to Egypt and did not go to Jerusalem for at least 10 years ( the length of the reign of Archelus) and the other does not mention anything about Egypt and that Joseph and Mary go to Jerusalem year after year. Now how can that be true if in Matthew its says that they stayed in Bethlehem. if you want to refute any of this I need proof "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof."
    Christopher Hitchens

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ

Veradico, thanks for the link I'll check it out.

• dawg
    dawg

Yea, and how many angels were at the tomb of Christ, and who was present after his resurection? Its all a crock of crap....Take care bro.

• Anti-Christ
    Anti-Christ
    Its all a crock of crap....Take care bro.

Yea I know, it's easier to stick to what makes use feel comfortable then to accept what is true when the truth can be scary,...take care too bro, I'm off to bed.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

The idea of the birth stories not being true as well as what happened during the resurrection, two many different accounts, people won't accept what they see as questionable because to do so would put into question their very belief structure and they don't won't or like change, so therefore they don't question any of the baloney put forth by the society they just accept it, it is easier to do that.

• Shazard
    Shazard

BUT... if we would have 4 accounts of 4 different ppl and those accoutns would be 1:1 then it would be proof that all that stuff really happened!

Remember, next time, when you are in court, that if two wintesses does not speak exactly the same text, then the event they supposte to eyewintess does not happenned. Only such accounts which are 1:1 can be counted as reliable eyewitness!

• Confession
    Confession

Remember the scripture, "Let God be true, though every man a liar"? As a JW I used the same policy, except additionally, "Let the WTBTS be found true, though every man a liar."

It's okay to doubt or deride anyone or anything that detracts from the Bible, but great forbearance and lenience must be applied when we find anything that makes the Bible difficult to believe.

Although I respect the Bible and Christianity, I don't follow this policy anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit