How many DF'd and DA'd ex-JWs still believe it's the truth?

by Nellie 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Nellie
    Nellie

I just got off the phone with my sister-in-law. We don't talk regularly at all - but today the discussion turned to our beliefs. She's DA'd herself 15 years ago, but she is still filled with guilt over not being able to live up to the standards of the witnesses. I left because I no longer believe - I have no guilt. It made me start thinking about this. How many others are like her out there? Do you have guilt? Has this forum helped you deal with it?

• JK666
    JK666

I was like her for three years after getting DF'ed. Then I found about the Watchtower being an NGO for the UN, and the blinders came off. It was very liberating.

JK

• Gopher
    Gopher

I think a lot of inactive or ex-JW's still think it's MORE true than any other religion, or "closest to the Bible". They may not believe it all the way, but they believe enough of the JW doctrine to feel guilty over not following it.

I had already released the JW-guilt before coming here, but I know the forum has helped many to decide to be true to themselves rather than to a man-made organization.

• Maddie
    Maddie

When I was DF'd I still believed it was the "truth"and went through loads of fear and guilt. I thought I was a bad person and wasn't good enough to make it through the big "A". I was reinstated but left when I found out it was a mind control cult and am mostly free from the phobias that were indoctrinated into me.

Maddie

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I know quite a few... I have tried to talk to a few of them, but even after years of being out they don't want to hear any other opinion. I also know a few inactive ones like this.

• Layla33
    Layla33

That phenomena has always boggled my mind. I came across a few DA'd, inactive and DF'd people who for whatever reason can't participate in the religion "as is" but still hold on to the basic doctrines and believe it is the "one true religion". I have an aunt who has been DF'd for at least twenty years and she still puts JW's on some kind of spiritual pedestal. And that is after they (the congro) treat her like dirt, especially when it comes to doing things for my grandparents.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Nellie, why would she disassociate herself if she felt it was still the truth?

• Nellie
    Nellie

She disassociated herself because she felt she couldn't live up to the requirements and didn't want to be a hypocrite. But today she says, she STILL has to decide between living the life she wants (which doesn't conform to the requirements of the organization) and being obedient to the "truth."

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Ok Nellie, I can kinda see that. If someone was a smoker and knew they didnt want to quit, and knew they would probably get caught soon anyway, I could see someone like that just going ahead and DA themselves, even if they still thought it was the truth.

I wonder what was her personal requirements that she couldnt live up to? If it was because she couldnt keep up with alot of the meetings or service? if that was the case then wouldnt it be better to at least be a nominal JW and maybe survive armageddon than to just completely DA and practically guarantee yourself getting destroyed?

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Sometimes I think it depends on how much time you did?

I was in almost 30 years so the stuff gets pretty embedded, but over the last 10 years its been way better, once in awhile, just once in while I may question myself. Time

really works wonders and If you have a good support system it makes the transition a little easier. No doubt you've all been helped here on this board. I look forward to reading your

comments on the board.

Best of Luck Everyone! (I love these things)

Hope4Others

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit