Why Aren't There Windows in the Newer Kingdom Halls?

by StAnn 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• StAnn
    StAnn

I've driven by several newer KH's in the past few years and noticed that none of them have even so much as one window. Just double doors on the front (with no windows) and a solid door on the back. What's up with that?

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

Hi StAnn -

It's not just a new phenomenon. Back in the early/mid 70's my hall blocked up the windows on the hall. Which was odd because the entire foyer was glass. But, whatever!

We did it because the hall was in a rough part of town and the sound system had been stolen a few times.

Sunday night is a slow time here on JWD and I'm on my way out. ...

There are several reasons why halls are not built with windows. You can find some older threads on this subject by using the new Search Feature here on JWD. Search for the word 'windows' in the title only and click the box for 'Posts Made to Start New Topics'.

You'll find a bunch of thread discussing this subject.

Hope this helps.

-Aude.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

I think its security in mind mostly and it does help in heating costs

• brinjen
    brinjen

I can't help but wonder how they get away with it though, what about fire regulations?

• justhuman
    justhuman

The reason is a subliminal message to the JW's that they are in a spiritual prison, build by the FDS

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

My local hall has small oblong windows that are frosted.

In a guess it could be they thought people might not be tempted to look out the windows and to actually listen to the garbage on the platform instead.

They dont want anyone to think about the outside world while in the hall.

And the way the tower likes to control peoples minds i wouldnt put it past them.

• sacolton
    sacolton

You need a window to look outside and daydream.

StAnn, I found this note in the trash can in the back room of your congregation ...

Hmmm ...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

If you have windows, people can look outside during the boasting session. I remember when I was in school, people would look out when it is snowing, hoping it will get bad enough to get sent home early or to cancel school the next day. They also looked out when it was raining, very windy, or if people were egressing from another class to recess or phys ed.

The boasting sessions are even worse than school in being boring. People will look out the window to watch the sun shine through the trees, the leaves falling, or snowfall. Or, people passing by. It is human nature to want to be outside, especially if there is nothing worthwhile going on inside. They know they can't physically be outside, but they can look out the windows and watch it snow. Then they will get less of the hypnotic suggestions from the platform.

There are two solutions to this, and building Kingdumb Hells without windows (or translucent ones) is one of them. The other is to pull the blinds so people cannot look out the windows, and make sure that no one fools with the blinds so they can look outside during the boasting session. Once people can no longer look outside, they are forced to pay attention to what is going on on the platform.

Which makes no sense. If there is sufficient value to be had from the material on the stage, people will pay attention no matter how windy, snowy, or leaf-fally it is outside. They are also less likely to skip the boasting sessions altogether if there is value to be had from going. As it is, with no value from within and the cutting off of any value from without, people have more impetus to blow off the boasting sessions altogether. And so they have to devote 90% of the session to hounding people to start making all the boasting sessions, further undermining any value and adding more reason to blow them off.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

This comes up from time to time. There is no rule against windows in Halls. A KH just built that I drive by everyday has plenty of windows.

Some areas avoid them for security reasons.

S4

• WTWizard
    WTWizard
    There is no rule against windows in Halls. A KH just built that I drive by everyday has plenty of windows.

Those are the ones that close the blinds so people cannot look out the windows during the program.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit