Big time watchtower art dept. jest

by cultswatter 23 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

Look at the following nonsense

alt

look at this link http://www.word-sunday.com/Files/B/Passion-b/A-Passion2-b.html

Mark stated the crucifixion almost as an aside, since his audience already knew the fate of Jesus, and since the methods of crucifixion were well known at the time. So, how did the Romans crucify Jesus? Romans either tied or nailed the condemned. The wood used could be a pole or a scaffold or a cross. In the case of a cross, the prisoner was affixed to the horizontal beam, then raised into place on the vertical pole. The cross could be a "T" shape with no overhead extension, or a "telephone pole" shape (the traditional cross).

The Watchtower is showing Jesus being lifted into position manually. The Romans were not that stupid. They affixed the prisoner to the pole whilst laying on the ground. Then they raised the post with the prisoner affixed. Disposal of the body was done in reverse. Just another example of the rebelious bethel artists.(hehe). Also I find the picture disturbing and it should not be viewed by children, but hey, this is a public edition.

• cognac
    cognac

WHAT IN THE HELL IS F***ING WRONG WITH THEM HAVING THIS PICTURE???

KIDS DO SEE THIS YOU KNOW???? Morons... And there so friggen worried about R rated movies!!! What the hell is wrong with them??? This really pisses me off...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Do you have a scan of the original cover?

Of course, it was the crossbeam that the Romans forced the prisoner to carry prior to execution.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

This is just one more blatant contradiction of themselves. If the person is attached to the pole or cross, and the whole thing is hoisted up, this is blatantly wrong (and that was the Tower's position on it). I have never seen Tower doctrine that suggested that they put the pole upright and then lifted Jesus to it, since that would have made extra work for them to nail his hands to the pole or cross while gravity was fighting them.

Notably, for a "showcase" edition, this is very graphic. I bet they are going to be wondering why people look at the front page and immediately decide that they do not want anything to do with the religion. Children should not be exposed to images this graphic, and I am referring to those who are younger than 13 that will also be expected to read this puke.

I never saw why they put so much emphasis on Jesus dying. Maybe it's because they are glad to be rid of him, and impale him anew with their doctrines (many of which blatantly go against Jesus' teaching). As I see it, people would do better to pay attention to the things he did while alive, such as his teaching. Christians professing to benefit from his sacrifice would do well to know that Jesus did nothing just by dying. First, he had to be resurrected so he could present the value of that sacrifice. Otherwise, his death would have been in vain. And, what they will not tell you is that Jesus could not have died and presented the value of his sacrifice were he not born, which they forbid the celebration of.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Most people will say...so who's the guy on the phone pole?

• watson
    watson

Are they putting him up, or taking him down?

• V
    V

This picture just goes to show the ludicrous nature of the stake. On page 5 of this Watchtower is a black and white full-size of the same painting, showing the two criminals on stakes as well. They are hanging from their palms and there is no foot support.

Being attached only by the hands and feet by nails would simply tear through. Is the Roman soldier below about to be drenched with blood when the nail goes in? How is the soldier supposed to have any balance when Jesus starts writhing in pain? How is Jesus supported when they put the nails in his feet? Two soldiers with a ladder each? All the weight will be on his hands--that won't hold.

JWs have speculated that the impaled person was nailed while the stake was lying on the ground. Then the stake and person attached was placed in a post hole. Maybe, but this impale-in-place-on-a-rickety-ladder-while-being-hoisted-by-Roman-soldier is farcical.

• watson
    watson

Just for clarification purposes, in this pictoral instance, I believe they are taking him down, not putting him up. What am I not seeing?

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The depiction may be the removal of Jesus from the "torture stake". Is that a guy holding burial clothes for Jesus? What was the original caption?

• ninja
    ninja

they are depicting him being removed from the stake culty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit