What is Heaven?

by Robert7 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Robert7
    Robert7

Based on my research the last few months, I think I realize what heaven is. This is not a new concept, and I'm sure many have come to this conclusion...

Thousands of years ago, the belief was an 'earth-centric' universe. Down here was earth, and above the earth was really unknown. What was known was what can be seen, the sun, stars, clouds, rain, etc. They also had no appreciation of how large space was, or really what outer space was.

So given that early man has no way to explain what was above, they made up stories of Gods and angels above all looking down at the world. It would have made sense, since at the time, the Earth was all that was known, and the skies above was the only other thing that existed... So when you die, you float up to this place to be with God and look down upon the Earth. It helped explain what happens when you die.

With modern knowledge, and with space travel, we can look back at the Earth and obviously see that the Earth is floating in black space. Nothing less, nothing more. No floating heaven around the Earth full of Gods and angels.

So my theory is that Heaven is a myth developed many years ago to explain the unknown, and passed down from generation to generation.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

"Oooh, heaven is a place on earth".

Sorry, had to do it.

Other than that (!), I agree with you. It made sense too back then; rain comes from 'heaven', it cleans the air and makes stuff grow, so it must be from the Gods. The sun is warm, flowers bend towards its light, everything grows. God. Stars light up the sky in a dimmer and smaller way; lesser Gods. Lightening is beautiful but very forceful and dangerous, and comes from above (well, not really, but) so it must be from the (angry) Gods. Smoke is one of the few things we can send upwards, so it's a good idea to send a message to the Gods with burnt sacrifice (plus, they like the smell).

Volcanos and lava flows comes from below. Caves that go into the ground are dark and get hotter as you get deep enough into them. It's dark. Light from above, darkness below. Bad stuff happens underground. Good stuff from above, bad stuff from below, and us living inbetween.

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

dammit to hell awakened beat me to it.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I don't use the word "heaven" much, because religious language has defined it as a place. If I had to define

it today, I would say it is a dimension of pure consciousness, non-corporeal.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I don't believe in a heaven with angels and gods and the like. Religion has distorted this view to .. as journey-on mentioned, a literal place.

For me heaven is a greater spiritual awareness / higher thought as earth is it's opposite.

But it would be cool if we could really bounce from cloud to cloud with our wings and harps.

• Robert7
    Robert7

Heaven means different things to different people... but not as the bible states as a physical place above the earth.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Heaven is a medium-well steak hot off the grill, a cold beer and a warm woman to bring it to me. The warm woman is also the desert afterwards.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Heaven to me is all of the above..Myths and fairly tales no longer catch my attention. Heaven to me is knowing at the end of my life that I have lived a full life. That I tried to treat my fellow man as best I could and that I will be remembered for the good that I have done.

Give me a steak, medium , a jack and ginger, and a warm kiss and say good night Gracie.

NMG

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

In talking with my XJW now Catholic daughter and her family...they believe they will go to Heaven......

They know of Hell but don't believe any of their family members will go there. I questioned them about purgatory..nope they aren't going there either..I said..doesn't the Catholics teach that everyone has to go there to have their sins purged?

She said yes but not them. I think they all feel that way.

So does anyone know the real teaching of Catholics about Heaven and Hell and Purgatory?

Snoozy...who loves the question..and the song.."How far is Heaven".

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Your theory sounds very good and it may very well be. But if there is a god and he and the angles are invisable how do you expect to see heaven from a space ship?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit