My conversation with a Born Again.

by yourmomma 29 Replies latest jw friends

• dawg
    dawg

To all born agains that responded... you believe in hell? Nuff said...

• real one
    real one

yes the jw and born again are very much alike except the born again person believes in God's Holy Spirit. His Spirit lives in us but no one knows where anyone else is going. only God can judge the heart.

• real one
    real one

to dawg, yeah i believe in hell. it was made for Satan and his demons not for you or me. i don't want to go there!

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Bible believing Christian-If I try to stand before God with righteousness of my own, I'll be "thrown into the lake of fire."

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Here's some more to add to the list, yourmomma-

Egyptian hell-

The Egyptian underworld (called 'Duat') was sometimes referred to as "Neter-Khertet" (divine place underground) by the ancient Egyptians. The Egyptian God Horus, who was the sun, was said to die every night at the hands of his evil brother Set. Horus, the sun, would set in the West and travel 'under the world' from West to East, to be 'reborn' the next morning on the Eastern horizon (see: The sun of god).

Duat was also considered to be where the Egyptian people would go when they died. Upon arrival, an Egyptian's heart would be weighed on a scale by Anubis (the jackal-headed death god), against the "feather of Ma'at" (the feather of truth/justice), and then judged by Osiris (the god of life and death). A pure heart would be equal in weight to that of the feather of Ma'at, and the person would be able to live for the rest of eternity in peace. If the person's heart was heavy with burdon, however, it would weigh more than the feather of Ma'at, and the Egyptian with the heavy heart would be fed to Osiris' vicious baboon, Babi or fed to Ammit, the "bone devourer". In the event that a heart was lighter than the feather of Ma'at, that Egyptian would be sent to an area of Duat called "Aaru", a realm ruled by Osiris where Egyptians could exist in pleasure for all eternity. (see: Heaven)

Norse hell-

The Norse underworld is presided over by the Goddess of the dead whose name is "Hel". Hel is the daughter of Loki. This region is called "Helheim", which means "Hel Home" or "home of Hel" It is one of the "Nine Norse Worlds" (see: Norse worlds). Helheim is a desolate, misty place, which no one can leave beause it is surrounded by the river Gjoll. All who die of old age or disease go to Helheim. Only those who die valiantly in battle spend eternity in Valhalla, the opposite of Helheim. (see: Heaven) The entrance to Helheim is guarded by Modgud (the corpse eater whose breath is the frigid wind), and a guard dog named Garm (also called Fenrir), who has four eyes and is drenched in blood. His function is similar to that the Greek Cerberus. Within the walls of Helheim are various areas where souls could spend eterntity. "Baldur's Hall" is a cheerful area for good souls, who will spend the rest of time drinking ale and mead. On the other hand, "Nastrand" is an underworld prison for criminals, with walls woven from snakes, whose poison flows on the floor. The area of Nastrand is close to the Hell of Christian myth, whereas Baldur's Hall is comparable to the Greek Elysinian fields and Egyptian Aaru.

More information here (including other versions of hell) - http://www.christos-mythos.com/Hell.htm

I am not afraid of hell, any more than people here are afraid of duat or helheim. Nobody believes in those places because we weren't raised to believe in them. Christianity is just the dominant religion in our society. But if we'd been born in ancient Egypt, we'd now all be discussing whether or not our hearts would be weighed on Anubis' scales in duat. How silly would that be? Ah wait... it's the exact same situation today.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

'yourmomma' I loved the whole conversation in hell thing! HILARIOUS!!!

and the mormon/black thing was classic, too!!

Luv yall!!

Have a fabulous day!

• Robert7
    Robert7

I have found that Evangelical Christians (who are Born Again) are quite a radical Christian group. They, like the JWs, have a black & white view on others. If you believe in Jesus, you are saved, and if you don't believe in Jesus, you go to hell, which mean a majority of the world.

Where I have found Evangelicals being potentially more dangerous than JWs is that they believe that the Rapture is coming, and the world is ending. Unlike the JWs, the Evangelicals have power. Bush is one. So this becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy. They believe that the world will end soon, so why not destroy it?

Combine that with the other radical extremists, and we have a recipe for disaster. If everyone thinks that God will destroy the world, then they may think that destroying it is part of God's will. Destrying doesn't mean nuke the planet, but let it go to hell. Pollute, strip the forests, run everything with a short-term view since God will intervene soon.

Personally I feel like this is one of the major near term challenges for mankind, people fulfilling these made-up phophesies.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

i sat by a rabid bornagain woman on a recent flight.in her endless ranting and raving,she didnt really seem any more or less crazy and deluded than any other christian type.i say.lobotomize the whole lot of 'em...hehheheh..maybe i need more coffee....

• real one
    real one

robert you sound lost...don't try to make people think your dogma like the false prophets out here. if you read the scriptures you can't go wrong..as believers we stick to God's word not mans or men! thats your opinion

• Robert7
    Robert7

Absolutely my opinion. One thing I have learned getting out of the JW faith, is that I respect all views. I am also cynical by nature, so it shows in my writing, but I really do have respect for all views, even if I don't agree.

People leaving the JW faith are 'hurt' and trying to find their way. I have no idea where that will take me, but I am open for discussion and research.

So no disrespect to the Born Agains out there. I am just stating my opinion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit