In Search of Christian Freedom Poll

by Escargot 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Escargot
    Escargot

Well, a poll was taken on what impressed you about COC, now, what about Franz’ second book, “In Search of Christion Freedom?”

When I read COC, I said, OK, just another man made religion, at least most the doctrines and the edicts were mostly right. When I first opened ISOCF, I glanced the chapter index, what?, I thought, how can door to door be an Issue? Or how can “the Misuse of Disfellowshipping” have any merit, its all in the bible, right? A people for his name, Franz can’t argue about using Jehovah’s name, can he?

Man, I sat down to read the book, knowing, as an Elder, I was ready to refute Franz’ attack on these issues. As I read, I saw my whole world of bible knowledge crumble before me, I was so shocked at what I read, yet it was so simple and I could see that more than one viewpoint should be considered in all these “cut and dry” issues.

What do you think? How did ISOCF affect you?

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

Well Escargot..."In Search of Christian Freedom" appealed to me even more than "Crisis of Conscience". It was just what I needed to make my final decision to leave the JW organization. Everything in there was what I had been feeling for perhaps the last 10 years, maybe even longer. And it was written with more love, insight and compassion than I've ever seen in any elder, CO, DO, etc. that I have ever had contact with. Guess it brought on a true "light bulb" moment (Oprah-speak). How could I have really believed all this stuff all those years? Arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! I truly believe that any JW who would read these two books would know that the JW organization has become far, far removed from what the Bible and Christ really taught.

"You cannot change what's over, but only where you go"

• JT
    JT

I agree - i saw my whole world crumble as well- in fact i personally know almost every guy he mentions in his book- many of those men were Mentors for me when i was at bethel-

he truly shows how RULES AND RULES AND MORE RULES are the driving force behind the org-

the quality of men "Appointed" as elders has always been troubling for me- now i understand fully

you and i merely worked for a Publishing Corp that sells hopes

it is one large mass Sales Organinzation- WE ALL SOLD HOPE

a product that will always have customers cause there will always be a need for the product

i read both books in 10days and cried for 10 more

for me it all stated with the generation change, then the sheep and goats and finally the alternative service dogma

blood was not far behind- as people we went from rejecting all forms of blood and blood fractions- which we were told and like you an elder stood before 1000's and told them that blood fractions were UNSCRIPTUAL then we showed folks the sciprtuals to back it up that fractions were wrong

onlt to find out that the bible never backed it up to start with

it all boils down to this

if they speak for god you got 2 choices the way i see it

they got the message wrong that god gave them or god got the message wrong

choice is yours

i choice to accept the fact that god never told them anything to start with

it didn't take me long to realize that the WT would have been ust fine if they had stayed with just doing BIBLE COMMENTARY

where they got into trouble is when they shifted from merely being students of the word publishing what research they had found
    christmas, easter, etc- to now WE SPEAK FOR GOD LIKE MOSESE DID

if you read the history of the org- they went from encouraging folks to critique their writtings to where they are now-

if you QUESTION US YOU ARE QUESTIONING GOD HIMSELF

the most recent example is so telling - there is a quote from the Nov wt 2001 if i'm correct that deals with how they want to control what you EVEN THINK

to think differently from what is in the mags constitutes you not being IN HARMONY/MATURE ECT.

i'll see if i can find it

but Yes rays books were turning points for my wife and i

email me sometime

James

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Escargot: ISOCF affected me much the same way as it did you. After I read COC in 1989, I could see that the religion was in error, and that I did not have to take it as seriously. But I stayed on because I could not see 'where esle to go.' Then ISOCF was published and finished off any feeling I had for the Watch Tower religion. I planned my exit and that of my family.

I can add that when Ray Franz discussed Hebrews 13:13 regarding going 'outside the camp' to be with Christ, thus leaving in a real or symbolic way the 'visible' security of an "organization or large camp-like arrangement" I saw for the first time that my faith was not about what religion, but strictly about my own individual personal relationship and faith in Jesus Christ - or not - and that anything else is mere human contrivance to try and control Christianity.

"Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty we are free at last." Dr. Martin Luther King, jr.

Thanks for an excellent post about a great book like ISOCF, and the honest man, Ray Franz who wrote it. - Amazing

• cyberguy
    cyberguy

Hi JT --

You said:

the most recent example is so telling - there is a quote from the Nov wt 2001 if i'm correct that deals with how they want to control what you EVEN THINK

check out this link:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=11974&site=3#146367

• Amazing
    Amazing

Hi Cyber: Thanks for the link. I have copied it again, but made it a direct link to click on. Thanks again. - Amazing

• chappy
    chappy

Escargot, Amazing

Which of the two books would you recommend as a first read for an elder still wrapped heavily in the Org? I'm getting close to convincing my elder relative to read one of them. I've read them both several times but aren't sure which would be most appropriate.

thanks!
    chappy

• JT
    JT

cyber guy

you are the reason i LOVE THIS NET "THANG"

THANKS

• Escargot
    Escargot

Wow, really thoughtful posts, I agree with all, JT, I will e-mail you soon.

Chappy: COC is a good JW history book on how they got to where they are today. ISOCF really gives you the background of the JW teachings and offers other viewpoints to consider. Give em both and step back!

• JT
    JT

I realize that no one wants to paint with the broad brush- but there is nothing that attracts a downhearted person more than HOPE

and being black ALL MY LIFE seeing down hearted folks is a part of my life-

I can not think of a single thing- that can offer a black man the chance to be equal to white person and be Backed up by the God of the Universe

adn that is what WT promises to black folks- where you can be viewed the same or better than a white person simply by doing THE WORK OF GOD

Take 2 males both with high school diplomas black and white bro--

The black Bro pioneers ---in time he will be on the CA program doing the Daily Text

the white bro avg 2hours in service-- hits and misses meeting

the black bro who may have a Flunky job- while the white bro wears a suit and tie and the office where the black bro cleans

the black bro feels that Jah is blessing him

and for the first time in his life as a black man he feels somewhat equal to a white person

when you can make a man who has a flunky job , been looked down on all his life feel that he now has value- why would he leave

of course there are black folks who don;t take sh!t as well, but in my view and exp the vast majority of black folks will be left behind-- when you consider just in the area of owning a PC black in the general population are behind their white counter parts what must it be like for black jw

the only hope i see is in the area of young black jw who moms and dads gave up so much and never got PAID BY THE WT now i do see some light at the end of th tunnel for them

but time will tell

James

yes i realized i pissed of some folks

but i call a spade the way i see it

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit