Why be a good person?

by Kinsman 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Kinsman
    Kinsman

For most people, the question why be good--as distinguished from merely law abiding--is a simple one. Because God commands it, because the Bible requires it, because good people go to heaven and bad people go to hell. The vast majority of people derive their morality from religion.

This is not to say that all religious people are moral or of good character--far from it. But it is easy to understand why a person who believes in a God who rewards and punishes would want to try to conform his or her conduct to God’s commandments. A cost-benefit analysis should persuade any believer that the eternal costs of hell outweigh any earthly benefit to be derived by incurring the wrath of an omniscient and omnipotent God.

However, the basic question remains. Why is it more noble for a firm believer to do something because God has commanded it than because the king has, if to that person God is more powerful than any king? In general, submission to the will of a powerful person has not been regarded as especially praiseworthy, except, of course, by the powerful person. If a person had joined the genocidal Christian crusades in the 11th century just because God and the pope commanded it. Could we justly regard them as a good person?

Nor is this question applicable only to Christian believers. I have wondered why Jews praise Abraham for his willingness to murder his son when God commanded it. A true hero who believed in a God who rewards and punishes would have resisted that unjust command and risked God’s wrath, just as a true hero would have refused God’s order to murder “infidel” women and children during the barbaric crusades.

The true hero--the truly good person--is the believer who risks an eternity in hell by refusing an unjust demand by God. The great 18th-century rabbi, Levi Isaac, was such a hero. He brought a religious lawsuit against God, and told God that he would refuse to obey any divine commands that endangered the welfare of the Jewish people.

In challenging God, Levi Isaac was following the tradition of the heroic Abraham, who argued with God over His willingness to sacrifice the innocent along with the guilty of Sodom, rather than the example of the compliant Abraham, who willingly obeyed God’s unjust command to sacrifice the innocent Isaac or the ultimately compliant Job who apologizes to God for doubting His justice, after God had indeed acted unjustly by killing Job’s children just to prove a point to the devil.

This is not to argue that believing persons cannot be truly moral. They certainly can. Perhaps they would have acted morally without the promise of reward or the threat of punishment. This is to suggest, however, that to the extent conduct is determined by such promises and rewards, it is difficult to measure its inherent moral quality, as distinguished from its tactical component.

But what about atheists, agnostics, or other individuals who make moral decisions without regard to any God or any promise or threat of the hereafter? Why should such people be moral? Why should they develop a good character?

Doing something because God has said to do it does not make a person moral: it merely tells us that person is a prudential believer, akin to the person who obeys the command of an all-powerful secular king. Abraham’s willingness to sacrifice his son Isaac because God told him to does not make Abraham moral; it merely shows that he was obedient.

Far too many people abdicate moral responsibility to God; as Abraham did. Accordingly, for purposes of discussing character and morality, I assume that there is no God who commands, rewards, punishes, or intervenes. Whether or not this is true--whatever true means in the context of faith--it is a useful heuristic device by which to assess character and morality. Just as Pascal argued that the most prudent wager is to put your eternal money on God, so too, it is a useful construct to assume God’s nonexistence when judging whether a human action should be deemed good.

There is a wonderful Hasidic story about a rabbi who was asked whether it is ever proper to act as if God did not exist. He responded, “Yes, when you are asked to give to charity, you should give as if there were no God to help the object of the charity.”

I think the same is true of morality and character: in deciding what course of action is moral, you should act as if there were no God. You should also act as if there were no threat of earthly punishment or reward. You should be a person of good character because it is right to be such a person.

Since the beginning of time, civilized humans have struggled to achieve that golden mean. The great Rabbi Hillel put it well when he said: “If I am not for myself, who will be for me, but if I am for myself alone, what am I?”

Good character consists of recognizing the selfishness that inheres in each of us and trying to balance it against the altruism to which we should all aspire. It is a difficult balance to strike, but no definition of goodness can be complete without it.

From the book, Letters to a Young Lawyer. © 2001 by Alan Dershowitz.

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

Interesting Rabbi story...I also think you should read a book by C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity....wonderful, full of common sense and real christian values based on love...not religious rhetoric.

ashi

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Kins,

Welcome to the Board, first I've seen of you, great post. Is there a driving force to encourage others to act for the good of all if one doesn't believe in GOD?

There are several Misnah on Abraham that explain his conduct towards Issac in terms that are better than the story in Genesis would indicate. But I don't have time for that now. Again, GREAT post.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• ISP
    ISP

Why not approach the same question from an evolutionary perspective. Being moral and good have benefits. You have less chance of being killed if you are a good person as oppose to bad person. If you are moral you stand better placed to raise a family sucessfully.

No mysteries.

ISP

• JanH
    JanH

Kinsman,

Excellent points. If people do good things merely because they think God ordered them too, it means they would do evil things if they thought God ordered them to do those things, too.

- Jan
    --
    "Doctor how can you diagnose someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and then act like I had some choice about barging in here right now?" -- As Good As It Gets

• Kinsman
    Kinsman

Hi Ashi,

I have never read any of C.S. Lewis’ work but others have also recommended him highly, so I assume that he must be a good read. Thanks for the recommendation.

I find that many Christian values do have worth (e.g., love of neighbor) while others I find worthless. For example, one of the most fundamental of all Christian values is the notion that human beings are inherently bad if not evil; flawed beyond our ability to resolve from before birth and throughout life. Earthly (i.e., material) things are bad and evil, while heavenly (i.e., spiritual) things are superior and good.

These are unhealthy notions that can lead to both physical and physiological health issues, not to speak of the ecological ramifications that may come from such a fundamental philosophical premise.

One need only hold an innocent newborn to know that such a premise is entirely false. All religious philosophies have elements of both good and bad, and I believe primarily good. Why? Because humans are mostly good not evil and since religious philosophies are products of humans they seem to reflect these qualities proportionally.

Kind Regards - Kinsman

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Being a good person has an impact on the lives of others. Everything you do has an impact on the lives of others. The waiter who served your food, the little girl down the street and the people you love. Why do the right thing? Because you and everybody else feels better because of it.

Good and evil need not be over analyzed. There are just there, plain and simple. Evil causes pain. Good things make you feel good. That's how I look at it.

• Kinsman
    Kinsman

Greetings Yerusalyim,

Thanks for the welcome. I have not spent much time on this board but was an early and active participant on H20 a few years ago. …You know, one should be well rounded and spend time in a wide variety of pursuits. …he? I had some extra time today …so I thought I’d share some comments from some interesting reading I’ve done lately. : )

Yes, I do believe there is a driving force that encourages humans to act for the good of all; however I believe it’s a natural force not a supernatural one.

Regards – Kinsman

• Celtic
    Celtic

The top half was cool, can go along with that, no probs, the bottom half? 'You SHOULD this, you SHOULD that. Telling someone they should do something is considered one of the heights of rudeness, might, could are far more sympathetic.

This gives persons the right to make an imformed choice of the facts preceding the action.

Personally, I think too much time is taken concentrating on the 'faults' of others without giving consideration to our own life imperfections. I see though that you were quoting someone else and these were not nessarsarily your own words.

Good to see you here, liked your style and clarity of writing and maybe we'll be conversing more, have a good 'un today!!

celtic
    land of pagans and where things go bump in the night
    www.can-online.org.uk

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

KINSMAN (Tim G) :-)

You're my PERSONAL SAVIOR!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit