Could You Live Without God?

by serotonin_wraith 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

I have said before in past posts - I think a belief in a god is because of two bad reasons.

1. Ignorance (not always deliberate at all) of certain facts. i.e. the Universe and life on Earth was not designed.

2. Wanting to believe in a god.

So, to focus on the second, I can see why people would want there to be a god.

You see dead loved ones again, you live forever, you have a purpose set out for you, you feel there's always a being with you through even your most difficult times. For those who believe in a god, could you live without one? Would it make any difference? Would you feel your life was still worth anything?

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Now that I do not believe in "God", I find myself appreciating my life more.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Isn't that kinda a gross understatement or oversimplification?

It could just as easily be said that "You don't believe in a 'god' because you don't want to."

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

It could just as easily be said that "You don't believe in a 'god' because you don't want to."

At some level, that may indeed be the sum of it. True, based on a myriad factors playing out in the subconscious, but at its heart all matters of "faith" (believing in things without direct evidence) seem to me to boil down to that one very thing: belief due to preference.

Sometimes that preference is based on "brain washing" or manipulation or environment or education or...it goes on and on. In the end, we believe because it gives a sense of satisfaction. EDIT: And disbelieve for the same reason.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Well there are many things I want to be true, but I can't just believe in them because of that.

With a god, there's just no reason to believe. If I thought there was a god, I'd be busy working out which one was real so that I could avoid eternal punishment. It's not something I could ignore because I didn't want it to be true.

• Satanus
    Satanus

You don't need for there to be a god or gods for you to see dead loved ones, again. You just need for there to be dead loved ones. A lot of believers use the argument, that if something supernatural occurs, anything, it proves that their god exists. They often build their whole belief structure on their enterpretation of the event. Not so, it merely proves that the 'supernatural' event occurred.

S

• gymbob
    gymbob

Well I live very nicely without god, but I also wish that there was one.....

What normal person would choose not to have a real personal relationship with the creator of the universe?

Answer: Nobody. It's just that whoever started this thing we call life is not around here anymore, and even if he was here, he wouldn't hear your prayers and know your innermost thoughts, and certainly wouldn't care to be worshipped.

Just my two cents. Gymbob

• journey-on
    journey-on

When I finally stopped believing in the god of religion, my communion with GOD improved. It was a spiritual journey

that culminated in the surety of the existence of a conscious energy at play in the universe, unseeable with physical

eyes, but visible with "eyes that see". I finally realized that "Jehovah" was not this energy. I had an experience during

this journey that will forever be imprinted upon my heart and mind and one which instilled a faith deep within me that this Consciousness

exists. Nothing can change that for me, so, "no".....Life without God is a life lived without that extra something, IMO. But,

let me say again that when I say "God", I'm not talking about a sky daddy that watches your every move and gives and takes points

based on some adherence to certain rules printed in a book. I'm talking about a realm of consciousness that we are all connected to and all have the

ability to commune with. You just have to have the right "software" and "operating system" to run the program, so to speak.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Journey-on,

How and where do I get the, "right software and operating system"?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hi Sero.

As for #1, I will agree to disagree.

And #2, I don't know. I've never really thought about it. I suppose it would make a huge difference, my experience with the numinous is an important part of life. I suppose my life would still be worth something, but it would be like living a life without love etc..

Burn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit