Home Schooling

by WTWizard 35 Replies latest jw friends

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

This has been a health discussion of home school. I consider home schooling a viable option that should be considered. If parents are willing to put in the effort the benefits can be significant

My observations of witness kids in home schooling is a different story all together.

The primary motivation for home schooling for many jw parents is to avoid the embarassment of an embarassing religion. I have seen kids staying at home and just watching tv all day. I have also seen a family thay while they taught the necessary skills the kids were totally issolated from the real world and turned out really strange. I have also seen kids out in service all the time instead of learning.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Home schooling can and does work.

It takes dedication from parents of course.

But the results for some kids are awesome.

The problem with most JW's is that the Home Schooling parent is usually
    a pioneer mother who focuses on the field circus and tells the child, "There
    are your books. Hurry up and get ready to accompany me in field circus, the
    real purpose in life." Then the parents just want the child to get enough
    understanding to pass a standardized test, nothing more. Nothing more is
    needed to start a "career" of window-washing and pioneering (actually the other
    way around).

Just curious, why would home schooling lead to a future in window-washing?

It's just a coy way of saying that the person is limited to work which doesn't
    take further education. Actually, running your own business as a window-washer
    is profitable. The problem again with JW's is that a serious small businessperson
    needs to put in many hours and get many clients- they need to pay their dues to
    become successful. Most JW's are told to "just get by" and not try to establish
    a business that will provide for their future (such as retirement) because the end
    is near and Jehovah will provide.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've made my share of jokes about window washers, but I consider it my right since I used to be one.

I actually learned a few things by operating my own window cleaning business. I experimented with different sales techniques, learned a few things about accounting and taxes, and last but not least, I learned where all the best restaurants were. I earned more money in 1985 cleaning windows part time than I do today as a network administrator full time - and I had more control over my time.

As for home schooling, I think a lot would depend on the competence of the parents as instructors. I don't believe most people would be up to the task. There's also much to be said for children learning in a group environment outside the home. They learn necessary social skills, as well as having access to numerous instructors rather than just one, meaning a broader base of knowledge, experience, and perspective.

W

• chickpea
    chickpea

i clearly remember the first day of our home school program..... we had a huge room in an outbuilding specifically dedicated to the purpose.... there was a flag of the world, a peter projection world map, reference books, manipulatives, tables and chairs, art material, computer.... and a message on the dry marker white board.....

"i cannot teach you anything, but i can help you learn everything".....

i learned so much myself and right now i am a bit nostalgic for those experiences, as they were such a labour of love

once the kids were all in public school, not a single teacher failed to comment on how much these kids brought to the table and yet all of them feel so stifled...... ah well...... nothing they cannot figure out for themselves in the long run....... they had a good foundation.......

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Chickpea, you make it sound so wonderful.

I guess I need to figure out how to survive on one income.......

• truman
    truman

I would like to add my voice to those who have home schooled their children successfully. I was a JW at the time, but I did not choose home schooling so that my children could pioneer quicker. I did it because I wanted to assume the responsibility for teaching my children instead of turning them over to the state to have that done for me. Another reason in my particular case was my own unhappy memories of school days. Children can be so mean to one another, and I did not want my children to have their spirits crushed by peer cruelty.

I want to answer some of the initial characterizations too. I home schooled in two different states, and in each, parents did not have to abide by any dictates from local school boards to teach according to one pedagogic philosophy or another, i.e., 'fully integrated' or 'disjointed'. Home schoolers operated under individual status as private schools, not under the rules or auspices of public schools.

Additionally, as far as parents giving their children the grades they deserve, I almost never gave my kids grades. They were not necessary. I knew intimately what my sons' levels of performance were in any given subject. I could move the boys ahead if they had mastered a skill or keep them working on it longer if needed. Grades may have some place in certain settings, but overall they are more destructive to the joy of learning than they are constructive or informative.

I did not teach my children from the JW literature. It does not promote the skills one goes to school to learn. I gathered materials that would have also been used in a classroom situation or made my own. On the other hand, neither did I have to teach everything myself. When my boys got to high school level, the local school district had become accepting enough of home schooling that they allowed my kids to attend a daily math class, while we did the rest of their schooling at home.

I agree with Roller Dave that isolating children in large peer groups does not promote natural socialization. I made an effort to see that my kids came into contact with all sorts of people. One result was that people often marvelled at how well the boys got along with and enjoyed the company of adults, something most children shy away from after years of peer immersion.

I will never say that home school is for everybody. It takes a lot of energy, dedication, and work. Some children may do well in it, and others may need the structure of the classroom. To me, the real issue is the freedom to make that choice. Some have seen poor results, but many have had success. It worked for us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit