Am I the only one that didnt realize about the GB?

by yourmomma 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I realized about the GB back in the '80s when they emphasized it a lot, especially in the wake of the 1980 Bethel crisis. But I can relate to what you are saying. I grew up in the JWs, read the literature a lot, and still never realized that they taught that Babylon fell in 1918 and that the first resurrection began in that year. I always thought that the fall of Babylon was still future and that the anointed had been going to heaven since the first century. I was stunned to realize that this is not what they taught.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I was raised by Witness parents and baptized at age 12 in 1957. Obedience and acceptance were presumed. I quit associating with the Witness people because of the Witness people. I didn't study Witness history or Witness teachings such as the anti-types until I had some time and distance between me and the Witness people.

From an objective distance, the content, without the context, is ridiculous. Without the Witness inculcating from age 7 on, and the demanded compliance to Witness directions from my parents, no way in the world I'd have become a Witness on my own.

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Wow! I just finish reading the first chapter of "Visions of Glory" by Barbara G. Harrison. I could have written that chapter (not as well),those were my experiences too. Did that ever bring back memories. I think it was the common experience of every child that was that age in that period of time. I lived that story. It brought back feelings of fear and dread as well as the joy and honor of being persecuted for Jehovah. I was expelled from the second grade for refusing to salute the flag. I remember days when I spent the entire school day in the corner with a dunce cap on my head for refusing to salute the flag or stand for the national anthem. About an hour ago I saw on the news that somewhere in a charter school one family is trying to stop the whole school from doing the pledge of allegiance because it has the words "under God" in it. ONE FAMILY is effectively getting their will done against the community. It was quite different in 1940. I remember the canvas witnessing bags and the signs "religion if a snare and a racket". My father used to drive a "sound car" with large speakers mounted on the top and he would go through a town playing a Judge Rutherford lecture (very loud) to give a witness to the people and then it was the job of all the other "publishers" to go from door to door and get all the flak. Like Barbara, at a very early age, I carried a phonograph and a bag of books and went from door to door on my own. It was an interesting time to be alive. I don't regret it, it made me strong, but I am glad that it is over and my children and grandchildren did not have to endure this craziness.

Most people who became JWs after WWII would not recognize that "Watchtower". It has changed so much and yet it is still the same controlling organization that it ever was, just different. Those of us who lived through it just kept on believing and did the transition not thinking that it was any different at all.

Cognac said: THEN I STARTED READING THE BIBLE!!! Not just the specific 1 or 2 verses in different chapters that can be twisted to fit there doctrine.

If people would just read their Bibles and not listen to all the explanations that the WT puts out, they would find the truth. I think that is their fear in not wanting people to "study on their own" independently.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• aniron
    aniron
    Cognac said: THEN I STARTED READING THE BIBLE!!! Not just the specific 1 or 2 verses in different chapters that can be twisted to fit there doctrine.
    If people would just read their Bibles and not listen to all the explanations that the WT puts out, they would find the truth. I think that is their fear in not wanting people to "study on their own" independently.

Didn't Charles Russel say that anyone who reads the Bible alone, would end up believing the same as "Christendom".

So thats why they should just read and believe Watchtower publications.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Remember that they write their 'commands' in a sneaky way. They don't say: "We the GB wants you to do this." No, they put it something like: "Christians with a trained consciences will do this." or "Many true Christians in these last days have decided to do this."

So people can interpret it as guidance, when in reality, most Witnesses know they are more or less commands. That said, my congregations thankfully also had a more relaxed attitude toward this.

That's true, it is very sneaky how they word it so that you don't immediately think "The GB wants me to do...." etc. It's how they used to do it, but nowadays "The Society" has alarmingly morphed into "The Slave" or "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" wants you to do something.

Pre '01, it was not as easy to make the connection. Now it's easier, but dubs still don't make the connection that the "Slave" means the GB alone! Hell, they even put a QFR about how partakers don't know anything and everybody's supposed to follow the GB. The r&f still won't get it.

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

I was raised in as well as many others and was completely intimidated into not questioning. But I do have to stand up for myself and say,

I saw it all as some sort of controlling scam to control and elicit $$$ from people when I was probably no more than 12yrs old. Hmmm, ORGANIZATION? We are supposed to be loyal to an organization? This is back in the early '60's. I questioned their refusal to accept any form of evolution, even though there was scientific proof of evolution. Huh??? there is something wrong here in paradise!

Sad to say, I didn't have the sense to act on what I knew from 'gut' common sense till I was 30yrs old. I regret that for many reasons.

There used to be talks about living so we have no regrets, well, my only regret is having been raised and remaining a JW as long as I did. For not having the backbone to stand up for what I knew inside was simply wrong.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

YOURMOMMA----Nebie Welcome to the Board.

• yknot
    yknot

No, you were not.

I too was raised, actually spent the most formative years in the post 75 era. I went to a KH which I understand now to be very liberal (probably why we were disbanded and redistricted). I was pretty much under the same idea. I moved in the early 80's to a different KH, like you it was all about blind allegiance and not Berean discernment. The WTs have steadily been preaching this more and more as the GB has less and less direction.

From researching the JW history I see that the control has been around since Russell let himself be referred to as the "faithful and wise servant".

• Layla33
    Layla33

I was always a bit miffed that some group of men in Brooklyn was telling me how to live my life. I didn't like that idea because a) I didn't know these men b) I had no idea if they were ordained by God, or some crack pots like the ones I saw on television.

That was one of the many things I took issue with.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That is one thing that has developed more recently. True, they always wanted people to obey the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger, but before they would disguise it as obeying Jesus and Jehovah. Then, since Fred Franz died, they gradually switched to obeying the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger itself. And, after Ted Jaracz moved into the dominant role, he himself is trying to play the role that Jesus alone has the right to.

I only wonder what Jesus would do if he were to show up at the Governing Body meeting. I wonder if Theodore Jaracz would get disfellowshipped for usurping the Christ. Keep in mind that Jesus' original message was to set people free from authority figures that do not belong in place--notably, the religious ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit