Is this venue hard for you?

by wings 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

No, Remember no one know who you are you could be a fat chinaman from monglia.

When you were at the kingdumb hall giving a presentation everyone knew it was you.

• Gopher
    Gopher
    BB: I've been here for over three years, don't really feel like a "local/native" yet
    Just want you to know that is not exactly encouraging.

Even though BumbleBee said that, she is a valued member here. She received a significant outpouring of support yesterday regarding her going to say goodbye to her JW uncle on Wednesday. I'd say most of the time you can get significant support here in a time of need. As far as whether people respond to your topics/posts, my experience has been the lower you set your expectations the better. It's a marketplace of ideas, and sometimes things that are said here have a deeper impact than the poster may realize.

• wings
    wings
    BB: I've been here for over three years, don't really feel like a "local/native" yet
    Just want you to know that is not exactly encouraging.

Gopher, I didn't really mean that. I don't need to feel like a part of the accepted group. I probably never will here, it isn't the way I am. I too have received help in time of need, and I don't need 50 responses to feel accepted.

It's a marketplace of ideas, and sometimes things that are said here have a deeper impact than the poster may realize.

I agree. I read so much more than I post. It is the unknown part of "all of you out there", and the invisible silent imagined response that is new to me. It is like we touch on peoples lives, but we aren't in them. To me, it is a very superficial relationship, a kind that I am not use to. However, it works in some strange way. I am drawn back to this site for many reasons. I think in my life right now this is about as social as I can afford to be. I know it is pathetic, but it is just where I am right now.

• rekless
    rekless

I have been here a long time and my post usually kill threads.

So just post and make a comment here and there, vent, and enjoy.

• BrentR
    BrentR

I started a topic about finding non-JW guardians for my my daughter if my wife and I were to both die. Many of us here have most or all of our family that are still JW's and I fiqured my dilema would be shared by many JWD members. It's a very daunting task with so many vasriables to take into consideration. The topic was buried within an hour with one serious reply and one smartass reply.

But at the very same time the "bath or shower" thread was on it's sixth page. That is when I realized I was in the wrong place and it was time to back away.

I don't consider JWD hard but after 14 months here I do see it as very frustrating and somewhat perplexing. It's more about the person who starts the topic versus the actual topic.

• snowbird
    snowbird

I don't consider JWD hard but after 14 months here I do see it as very frustrating and somewhat perplexing. It's more about the person who starts the topic versus the actual topic.

You are so right. It's frustrating at times ... kind of like being in high school where all the "cool" kids get the attention.

However, I enjoy your topics, photographs, and other little tidbits about your family.

Please stay on.

Sylvia

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy
    I think in my life right now this is about as social as I can afford to be. I know it is pathetic, but it is just where I am right now.

There aren't really any rules for these types of things. Personally I prefer to be far enough removed that I can disappear with minimal drama, because sometimes I just want to get away from everyone.

I don't think I would call this particular forum and the people/relationships here superficial. You can say things here and describe situations in a way that most of the world might not understand, but most of us can relate becase we have such a large common factor.

Sorry I haven't returned your call, been a bit busy lately but hopefully everything will be back to normal in a few days, and I'll be passing through there on a regular basis, so I hope to get to visit with you before you move.

WLG

• wings
    wings

WLG

I don't think I would call this particular forum and the people/relationships here superficial. You can say things here and describe situations in a way that most of the world might not understand, but most of us can relate becase we have such a large common factor

What I meant was internet relationships seem superficial, just a part of this venue am trying to get used to. I am sure that as I go further down this road it will not seem so strange to me. The common factor here it worth pushing through, IMO.

Sorry I haven't returned your call, been a bit busy lately but hopefully everything will be back to normal in a few days, and I'll be passing through there on a regular basis, so I hope to get to visit with you before you move.

I won't be moving for awhile, check out the nursing home thread I just started. I've been busy too. No hurry, I am very much looking forward to actually meeting a real live person from here. I'l PM you with my number again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit