On shunning

by joelbear 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Lauralisa,

That post rocks!! You are exactly right. It's a "cover your ass" while moving up the corporate ladder approach. Just like the Bible encourages.

Oh, and such shunning is really really helpful to the isolated one. (Only if it helps them to see how insane the WTS is!!)

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

wannahelp,you seem like a kind and careing person,that is nice. Still the fact remains if a dog go`s rabid on you,you`d best watch your ass!Even if that dog was your friend it no longer is now.The same go`s with people.Remember the good times and be aware of the present OR your gonna get bit.There are alot of nice people on this board,and I think your one of them...OUTLAW

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy wannahelp,

ISP:

So, What scripture are you talking about that says to shun, and what other religions do you know of that practice shunning?

To my limited knowledge, the Almish practice strict shunning and so do the German Baptists. I would assume that other religions similar in structure would behave similarily also.

I am not condoning as I firmly believe it does harm to the shunned person, their family and their friends. There is no positive from shunning.

Even if the person goes back into the organization, they go because of negative reinforcement, ie. punishment of losing family & friends. Btw, some of those formerly shunned persons seem to enjoy the shunning process on newly sinning persons. I suppose it's like - I lived through it - so can you. And then they become the bullies that they resented when it was them being shunned.
    waiting

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Hi Outlaw:

You said:

"wannahelp,you seem like a kind and careing person,that is nice. Still the fact remains if a dog go`s rabid on you,you`d best watch your ass!Even if that dog was your friend it no longer is now.The same go`s with people.Remember the good times and be aware of the present OR your gonna get bit.There are alot of nice people on this board,and I think your one of them...OUTLAW"

Thanks for the kind words, and I enjoy your company as well on this board..

I agree with you in the above case, if a DOG goes 'bad' to the point of being afraid for your personal safety, then yes, at that point action must be taken to protect yourself and the rest of your family etc...

That being said, however, I've not known a JW yet that I was afraid of... As soon as any individual gives me reason to believe that he/she is INTENT on causing me physical harm, I will certainly take steps to alleviate the situation....

I happen to believe in unconditional love, and even if the above scenario happened, I would still love my friend, even if he 'intended' physical harm. The love doesn't stop just because they stop reciprocating it!!! I pray for him every night that he is happy and healthy!!! I also continually go out of my way to let him know I am still here.. Only if and when he tells me to stop will I stop doing that, unless of course, he becomes physically threatening to me.. (Which I don't think will happen)...

• wannahelp
    wannahelp

Hi Waiting,

I understand that the Amish do practice very strict shunning..

Do you know what bible scripture(s) actually state to shun????

I am not aware of ANY bible scripture(s) that state to shun.. I believe it to be unbiblical..

If you know of biblical proof, I'd love to see it..

THank,

- Wannahelp

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

To those that say they still love their friends in spite of.....I say, more power to you. You have a kinder heart than I do.

I feel that we have to make people personally responsible for what they do. If you decide to shun someone that is your personal decision no matter who told you to do it. In the end the decision is yours and yours alone and you are responsible for it..

If you had a friend who erred that came to you and asked for forgiveness what would you do? Would you weigh whether they were sorry enough? humble enough? would you try to make an example of them? would you make them hurt even more than they are already hurting?

I didn't think so.....

You would take them in your arms and comfort them and forgive them. Thats the difference between you and the zombies in the borg and their leaders. They have given up their humanity. You have to check it at the door when you become a member. That is probably one of the reasons you got out.

I stand with OUTLAW. They are not your friends.

Sunny

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit