Must See Post!

by mommy 30 Replies latest jw friends

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Mommy...ty for bringing our attention to Laura's post. You are right, it certainly is a MUST SEE!!

Laura, your strength is a great example to us all, as well as your courage. I wish you well as you continue your journey.

Boozy

• DIM
    DIM

excellent post. I can certainly relate, and I sure when my wife sees it, she will too.

i'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight-short-sighted-narrow minded hypocritics. all i want is the truth just gimme some truth - John Lennon

• JBean
    JBean

Thanks so much for this post. Laura... much love and continued happiness to you! I cannot wait until I, too, can KNOW my decisions are correct and find the measure of peace you have found.

• Mum
    Mum

Lauralisa's post reminds me of the association I made between the WT organization and the mafia when I was watching one of those films about the mafia. The narrator of the film says something like, "We even went on vacation, all of us together, at the same time. There is no loyalty in either case if anyone gets on the wrong side of the leadership. In either organization the person who "makes waves" is, in effect, "bumped off."

In the film "Goodfellas," Henry Hill brags about how effective the mob is because they are so well "organized."

Scary!!!!

Regards,
    Mum

• lookingnow22
    lookingnow22

Thank you both very much for that post. It was quite needed.

Looking

• teejay
    teejay

... for those who may have missed it...

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

Mommy:

Thanks for bringing this to the top again.

Lauralisa:

A very touching post.

What you describe so reminds me of my wife. She is a very unhappy and depressed person. She has begun therapy (erratically, but at least she's trying) and it has been some help. She also tried a couple of antideressives, but so far she's had adverse reactions to both Zoloft and Paxil. She is going to try a third shortly. Shortly after her depression began, she returned to organization. This has caused some problems between the two of us. Her meeting attendance and these problems have, I'm fairly certain, exacerbated an already severe depression.

Thanks for sharing a baring a little of your soul. I think what you've described could be of help to many others in similar circumstances.

CPiolo

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

I have another story to relate which might help illustrate the import of this issue, if you all can stand any more.

When I found the "truth", I told someone I knew very intimately about what I had learned. He lived in another state, but he was sufficiently intrigued so as to seek out the local kingdom hall in his area.

He was battling with excruciating depression, alcoholism, addiction to cocaine (free-basing was then the "new" thing; this was way before crack).

Within a few months of his intitiating a bible study, he was convinced. He attended all of the meetings, he changed jobs (a good thing: his employment was very "enabling"), he broke up with his girlfriend, he slowly stopped associating with all of his "bad" friends. He sold his stereo equipment to pay his old drug debts.

He had just become a publisher. He was having a difficult time making ends meet with the markedly reduced income resulting from his job change, and he was extremely lonely. He was a 27 year old man with no relatives within the congregation, and was finding his new lifestyle spiritually and intellectually rewarding, but replete with gaping holes in terms of a social structure. There was no one, NO ONE, in his immediate area, who was able to relate to him or assist him in this unfathomable transition. He was discouraged from the study conductor and local elders from participating in any 12 step programs.

I kept in constant touch with him, encouraging him, reinforcing the pearls of 'truth' he was embracing, supporting him in his lonliness, relating my own difficulties and sharing my own newly-found "scriptural" reasoning to continue fighting.

He was supposedly very close to baptism, and I was so thrilled. I mean it. I was so proud of his integrity and self-control; it seemed like there was so much evidence of "god's power" working in all of this. It reinforced my own faith. Not many people can pull off what he did; it reflected incredible courage and strength, the way he withdrew from the things in his life that had sustained him through incredible pain... but these very things, we reasoned, kept him from achieving an "approved" status with god.

Not long later, he filled up the back seat of his car with as many individual gallons of gasoline that his back seat would hold. He chose a good time: 4:30 am.... not many people on the highway at that time. He drove directly along a perfectly planned route, smashed his car into a telephone pole, resulting in it rolling down an embankment, where it exploded into flames. One witness gave a florid description of what they had seen. There was very little collateral damage, but his body was burned such that they had to identify him by dental records.

He was my brother. He was only 27.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Oh my god! My heart goes out to you. What you know now and what you knew then, what a difference. You are a very brave person just to keep living. How I hate any "thing" that can have such control over other peoples lives. j2bf

• lauralisa
    lauralisa

feedback - if any - not for me, but relative to the issue?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit