When you left how long did it take you to get out of the JW mind set ??

by karter 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

Out of the JW mindset is one thing, not thinking Armageddon coming is entirely different. I do not think I will ever be totally out of the JW mindset to some minute degree. The Armageddon thing is all bullocks and I guess I figured that out a few years ago when I was researching religion. It is abundantly clear that Armageddon and jesus returning and the invisible sky captain(god) is all an open ended terroristic threat that has been around since day 1 with ALL organized religion to keep weak minded sheeple in check.

• Bryan
    Bryan

I didn't make it out the first time. I returned 5 years later. 2 to 3 years later I exited for good, though, it took 5 years to get that little Watchtower demon off my shoulder.

Bryan

• cognac
    cognac

I'm still trying to get out... Good lord is it hard... Excuses are difficult to come up with especially when pressure is always put on me to do even more then normal JW's... Sucks... I'm trying to cut back to do what regular JW's do never mind trying to fade just yet... Have been "sick" a couple of times though!!!

• CHILD
    CHILD

It's been over 15 months and I'm still unlearning JWisms.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think I was pretty much not expecting Armageddon around 1991, or several years before I even started fading. I began undermining my "spirituality" after that dreaded April 1, 1995 Puketower study article blaming Satan for rejection, and it took me another 10 years after that before I totally ditched going to boasting sessions and field circus, and the idea of having any time at all to report.

After that, I did what I could to transition to being a worldly person. I shredded all my littera-trash within a month after June 2005 (the last time I went out in field circus was June 30, 2005). In September 2005, I cleaned out my closet and relegated suits to the corner (and threw out those in less than good condition). In August 2005, I bought an Xbox. I went to Target and bought some toys that would be nice science puzzles, and got an 8-ball in October 2005.

In 2006, instead of going to the Crapmorial, I tested the Tower's position on demons to the max. I went out and bought a Ouija board that day. And, in September 2006, I willfully and intentionally hunted for an apostate Web site (no, I did not stumble on it, I hunted for it). After hunting all the apostate sites I could find (and reading them), I started posting on forums.

It took a little more than a year between my last field circus and getting on my first apostate web site, and about 2 more months to make up my mind that I am going to start accumulating Christmas decorations. Now, I would have more of a conscience problem going to the Kingdumb Hell or out in field circus than using the Ouija board or celebrating holidays.

• yknot
    yknot

I haven't completely but am looking forward to the day!

As for the Big A, I am working on transitioning my thinking from a R&F to the WTS.

I heard the expression a couple of time that the WTS says to expects the Big A like it will happen tomorrow , but to plan like it ain't never gonna happen.

As a R&F my plans for the future didn't include retirement; only paradise. Since I am no longer contributing to the WWF of Pedophiles we are instead using the money to maintain 3 IRA Roth accounts, and donations toa local food bank, and battered womens shelter.

• MMae
    MMae

I think it will always have some influence on my thinking. I still believe in the coming of a Great Tribulation. Not because of the JWs, although I heard it there first. Many cultures and foreseers have predictions that are comprable to Revelations. I think the world's stage is being set very quickly now for devestation, especially in the USA. I personally wouldn't mind a cleansing of the Earth by a loving and insightful God. This, of course brings me to the paradox of a wrathful God, verses His loving Son, who is in every way like His Father?

At this point in my life I have a very open mind. I think about what the Bible seems to say on certain subjects - let's say homosexuality for one. And I pray, "Father, I am not more loving, just, and righteous than you! How can it be possible that you could condemn one for their normal sexual expression, when I do not?" My only conclusion is that He also does not, and what has been set down as God's will, isn't.

I think evolution is undeniable, but I believe that God is the force behind it. And other seeming contradictions. I cannot deny the existance of God. I've heard Him (a quiet voice in my ear), seen Him (by vision within my mind), and most of all felt His presence and influence in my life. Perhaps what I perceive as God is nothing more than my helping Spirits. I don't know. - And that is where I am really free from JW think.

To be able to say, "I don't know." The freedom to no longer need to be told what is or isn't. And to feel completely normal about it.

• sacolton
    sacolton

I think Michael Corleone said it best ...

"Just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit