What's next for companies that make pink, yellow, & blue sugar substitutes?

by OnTheWayOut 14 Replies latest social current

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm currently on a diet. One of the first things I tried to do was replace my morning can of coke with a can of diet coke. It drove me absolutely bezerk and I got extremely hungry. I have gone back to my regular can of coke in the morning, and I'm losing weight.

Take that, artificial sweeteners!

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

When an artificial chemical is put into your body over a lifetime it changes your own natural structure. Why are we telling people to stop smoking? The chemicals in the cigarettes are killing you that's why. Why not take drugs? They kill you - they're chemicals. Artifical sweeteners are just that - chemicals. The notion that a person only gets a little bit of the stuff in their body is nonsense when many people consume the junk in a lot of different foods they eat or drink all day, every day over the course of a lifetime. There are countries that have banned the sweetener because they believe the proof related to health dangers are too high - so obiously some scientists and doctors around the world don't buy into the mantra of safe toxins or money or health. Here is a partial article on Splenda - something I was using because I thought it was 'made from sugar' as they advertised. They were since sued to stop them from using misleading advertising I believe.

Is Splenda an all-natural product?

Absolutely not. The finished product contains no elements of natural sugar. It is made in a chemical plant, not in a sugar cane or beet field. Splenda is a highly processed chemical. Despite advertisements stating “Made from Sugar so it Tastes like Sugar”, which attempt to confuse consumers, Splenda is not natural.

What is Splenda made from?

Splenda is the trademarked name for sucralose, an artificial chlorinated sweetener that is formed when the hydroxyl groups in a sugar molecule are replaced with chlorine molecules. Sucralose is manufactured in a chemical plant in Alabama, and then a bulking agent is added to create Splenda. While the FDA has ruled that the chemical compound sucralose is not in itself toxic, there is no question that it is unnatural and is a highly-processed chemical artificial sweetener that depends on the presence of chlorine for its intense sweetness.

What is sucralose (Splenda)?

Sucralose is the final chemical compound created by the addition of chlorine atoms to sucrose molecules through a complex chemical reaction involving a number of highly toxic chemicals. Sucralose is not natural.

• Justitia Themis
    Justitia Themis

I did a presentation on sugar substitutes in Chemistry 100. While I am unsure as to the detrimental effects of sugar substitutes, I was shocked at the manipulation of information on "health food" websites. Using the term "chlorinated" was one of their favorite techniques, as the general public immediately tends to think of bleach.

Before you freak out about "chlorine" in sweetners, you might want to consider this commonly consumed chemical compound...sodium chloride...a.k.a. salt.

http://www.eurochlor.org/aboutchlorine

Chlorine - The element

Chlorine belongs to a group of five chemicals called halogens:

• Chlorine
    • Fluorine
    • Bromine
    • Iodine
    • Astatine

The word ‘halogen’ originates from Greek roots: hal means ‘salt’ and gen means ‘to produce’. All the chemicals in this group produce sodium salts with similar properties. The best known is sodium chloride (common salt).

Chlorine is one of the most common elements in nature.

Chlorinated compounds occur naturally in humans and are found in blood, skin and teeth. Even white blood cells need chlorine to enable them to fight off infections. In nature, chlorine is more plentiful than carbon. It occurs in both plants and animals and makes up 2.9% of the world’s oceans and 0.045% of the earth’s crust.

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Did you guys read the comments at the bottom of this story. I loved this one:

Waste of a story. After I have a crystal light, or a diet soda I don''t have the urge to eat. Maybe you should call marijuana an artificial sweetener.

Posted by jshmks at 02:44 PM : Feb 12, 2008
  • sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Well, w/ all of this information about CHLORINE, maybe I, and billions of other people, should reconsider drinking tap water.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit