Best Field Service "Presentation": Direct Approach. (I'm serious!)

by Open mind 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• free2think
    free2think

I found the 'we're offering a free home biblestudy' was a keeper as where i live no one was interested, most of the time you didnt get past the hi we're offering lol.

I once wroked with another sister that was around the same age as me, she also was raised in, parents used to be special pioneers etc and we had a competition on which of us could get the householder to say no thanks quickest. Her favourite was 'can i share a scripture with you?' It was actually quite funny.

• Open mind
    Open mind

truthsearcher:

Open Mind said: Most who say "Yes" are usually Born Again Christians trying to convert the JW,
    Really? I didn't know that. Does it ever work?

(Sorry about my screwy attempt at "quoting". You get the idea, I hope.)

Whenever someone says, "Why sure, I'd love to hear what you have to say. Would you like to come in?" Flashing lights & alarm bells go off in my brain. In my several decades of experience banging on doors in several US states, the vast majority of these kinds of receptions are from Born Again Christians who are sincerely concerned that I am in a mind-control cult and that if I don't accept the divinity of Jesus they fear for my eternal soul. (I've never worked in Utah or the Southern US where I hear cordial receptions are a little more common even if they aren't really interested.) To answer your question, "Does it ever work?" I know of a couple former JWs around here who have succumbed to the wiles of silver-tongued Born Again Christians. All spending countless hours with concerned Christians ever did for me was prove that the "Big 3": Trinity, Hellfire & Immortal Soul can be argued both ways using the Bible. All the above statements are based solely on my individual experience. YMMV. Open Mind
  • willyloman
    willyloman

That's brilliant. My only suggestion: change "just a few minutes" to a bigger number, like ""five minutes or so." That should work even better!

When I was working my exit I avoided FS as much as I could, but like you I had to go a few times. To avoid blowing my cover I came up with similar strategies (but yours is even better).

For example, we had a CO who suggested we go to the door with nothing in hand but a bible and ask if we could share a scripture. So I used that approach. At the door almost no one wanted me to read a scripture to them, although a few people did. In that case, I read it to them and said, "Next time we are in the neighborhood, I will bring you a magazine that discusses this wonderful promise from the bible." End of presentation, bye-bye.

It appeared to the fellow dub working with me that I was a mature dub with a novel approach designed to get lots of RVs. Of course, I never went back on any return visits.

[It's been several years so I can't remember chapter and verse; it was the scripture that says heaven and earth may pass away but the earth lasts forever].

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Only one in 1,000 people will actually say yes.
    Only about 1 in 20,000 will ACTUALLY be interested in submitting themselves to weekly JW indoctrination.

I disagree with these numbers. If you don't use the direct approach with elderly people or
    those that answer and you just know they are ultra-weird, maybe your numbers are right.

You have to be careful with the direct approach when it comes to the lonely and the crazy ones.
    They have no reason to say NO, no reason to be afraid to commit. Your method can work with
    the busy parent or worker who answers.

If you do get stuck in an actual situation where they want the study, don't take whoever was your
    partner back there ever. Just don't go back on that person. That way, they will wonder what's
    wrong with JW's. If you had to set a schedule in front of your service partner, deliberately miss it.

I have a completely better idea, though. Here's what I did. I slowly tapered off to near nothing in
    service, actually reported near nothing, then DID nothing and reported near nothing until I was
    ready to report NOTHING.

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

Open Mind: I'd love to hear what you have to say. Would you like to come in? I promise to bake cookies or something tasty

All spending countless hours with concerned Christians ever did for me was prove that the "Big 3": Trinity, Hellfire & Immortal Soul can be argued both ways using the Bible.

I actually think that is an important point for Witnesses to realize. You can support those supposedly pagan doctrines with the Bible, it just takes a different interpretation approach (literal, as opposed to symbolizing anything you don't like the sound of )

Let me know what time to put on the coffee... Honest, you'll be able to count some good time!
  • BFD
    BFD

F2T, I think that a "Hi, we're Jehovah's Witnesses" line would cut it off quicker that the bible study approach. There's nothing that a bit of honest competition won't cure.

BFD

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I would like to see what would happen if I went out with a stack of those April 1, 1995 Puketowers and directly used that study article that blamed Satan for rejections in one's personal life. Then I would like to fully integrate that with what could easily happen to them (they would set the study up for rejection just so they could have something to blame on Satan). I bet that would be the end of that study.

• VanillaMocha73
    VanillaMocha73

Most who say "Yes" are usually Born Again Christians trying to convert the JW,

Really? I didn't know that. Does it ever work?

Yes, it does.... :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit