The Door to Door Argument and various musings

by Mrs. Witness 19 Replies latest jw friends

• carla
    carla

I'm still laughing about the chore list! Ha, yeah, that would go over here like a lead balloon too! He listed going to the KH as a chore?! tsk, tsk, isn't it a 'privilege'? my goodness what would the elders say?

The broad path and narrow path is such a lame answer. Last time I heard this was when my PO told me they were unique in their beliefs and growing bit by bit each year so this proves they are Gods chosen. I said the Mormons are unique in their beliefes and they say they are Gods chosen and they are growing by leaps and bounds which proves it! Then he said the broad/narrow road poop. To which I replied, there are about 100 religions claiming to follow the Bible, that have unique beliefs, and are growing yet, they are smaller then the JW. Then he said but we have the truth!

I said let me get this straight - Your "proof" that you are Gods chosen is that you have unique beliefs, you growing just enough to be growing more than some false religions, but not too much to be out growing the other false religions. This in keeping with Jesus' PARABLE about the broad/narrow and hidden medium sized road?

He reply in all seriousness and full of pride - YES!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Anyone got any good links for the door-to-door argument?

http://www.escapefromwatchtower.com/house.html

From: http://en.allexperts.com/q/Jehovah-s-Witness-1617/Preaching-Work.htm

Firstly, we need to describe how Jehovah's Witnesses perceive the house-to-house preaching work (also referred to as door-to-door).

Watchtower April, 1, 2005 p. 28 Making Jehovah Your God

Herbert and Gertrud were baptized as Jehovah’s Witnesses in Leipzig, in the former German Democratic Republic, in 1952. Life then was difficult for servants of God, since their public ministry was under ban. How did Herbert feel about preaching from house to house?

“We were very anxious at times. When we went from house to house, we did not know whether the authorities would suddenly appear and arrest us.” What helped Herbert and others to overcome their fear? “We did a great deal of personal Bible study. And Jehovah gave us the strength to carry on our preaching work.” In his public ministry, Herbert had a number of experiences that fortified—even amused—him.

Take special note that according to Jehovah's Witnesses, house to house preaching, as carried out by Jehovah's Witnesses, is a form of public preaching, not private preaching. This will become important later in the answer.

Here are all the references I could find in the Gospels to show the contexts in which "preaching" and "teaching" occurred, starting with the references to the ministry of John the Baptizer:

Matthew 3:1-6; 4:17; 4:23-25; 5:1-2; 9:9-13; 9:35-38; 10:5-15; 10:27; 11:1-15; 13:53-58; 21:23-27; 22:15-28; 22:15-46; 26:55

Mark 1:4, 14-15, 21-28, 35-39; 2:13-17; 3:13-20; 4:1-9; 5:18-20; 6:1-6, 7-13, 30-34; 8:27-31; 9:14-29; 10:1, 13-22; 11:15-18; 12:35-40; 14:49; 16:20

Luke 3:3, 10-14; 4:14-21, 31-32, 44; 5:1-3, 17-18; 6:6; 8:1-3; 9:1-6, 37-38; 12:3, 8-12; 13:10; 19:36-40, 47; 20:1; 21:37-38

John 6:59; 7:14, 28; 8:2, 20; 14:25-26

Of these, none refer to Jesus ever going from residence to residence. All of these relate to forms of public preaching, with the exception of a few verse in John that refer to the teaching of individuals that the Holy Spirit was prophesied to accomplish after it was poured out.

This does not mean that a door to door preaching activity is precluded by the Scriptures. It only means that it would be inaccurate to call this public ministry from house to house a Scriptural requirement. It is certainly not. There is no Scripture instructing anyone to publicly preach from house to house.

Note the two places in Acts where the expression "house to house" appears:

Acts 5:42
    42 And every day in the temple and from house to house they continued without letup teaching and declaring the good news about the Christ, Jesus.

Acts 20:20
    20 while I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly and from house to house.

At first glance it may seem that I have been mistaken. However, note in the instance at Acts 5:42 an unquestionably public method ("in the temple") is mentioned along with "house to house."

When we look at the context of the second usage in Acts, this is even more striking. Paul was specifically speaking to the older men of the Ephesian congregation and he said he did not hold back from teaching them "publicly" AND "from house to house.

If "house to house" referred to a public teaching work, as Jehovah's Witnesses teach, why does Paul use "publicly" as a contrasting form? He doesn't. In fact, private homes is implicit in the meaning of the Greek words translated "house to house." This is how the gatherings of the first century Christians was described by the early church writers, as being from house to house. The houses referred to are the private homes of believers, not the public.

In the book of Acts there are over 20 occurrences of variously preaching in "public", "temples", "synagogues", or "marketplaces." On the other hand, there are only two instances of the usage of "house to house" and on both occasions it is used to describe private teaching as opposed to public teaching.

In short:

(1) Jesus did not use this method of public preaching
    (2) Jesus did not direct the use of this method of public preaching
    (3) The usages of "house to house" in Acts refer specifically to private, as opposed to public, venues for teaching.

Also: http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/preach.htm

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

Thanks OTWO!!

I told him that the house to house thing was groups that got together!

Another funny thing I said (if I do say so) was "It's the sermon on the mount, not the sermon on the doorstep!!" Gotta keep my sense of humor!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

"House-to-house" is deliberately used in the NWT to give a claim to their
    so-called COMMAND to do it. Yes, they were commanded, alright. Not by
    Jesus or the scriptures, though.

• Mrs. Witness
    Mrs. Witness

I knew that and so after he read it in the NWT, I read it to him from my NIV. I was so close. I could almost see the light go on.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Is that not copied word for word from Ray Franz research OTWO?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Is that not copied word for word from Ray Franz research OTWO?

Long story, but I no longer have the R. Franz books, but it very well could be.

I don't reinvent the wheel, I just link and use what I can.

• marsal
    marsal

There is some good information here:

http://www.jwfacts.com/index_files/preach.htm

• bluesapphire

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit