The Skeptics' Annotated Watchtower - What Does the Bible Really Teach?

by B_Deserter 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• B_Deserter
    B_Deserter

I'm going to start a project. I'm going to do a paragraph-by-paragraph rebuttal of as much Watchtower literature I can get my hands on. I've been inspired by V's Watchtower comments, so I'm going to do the same with books and brochures. I will try to keep a fairly regular posting of one chapter at a time. You could alternately call it "Comments You Won't Hear on a Personal Bible Study" I guess. Eventually, I'm going to get all of them up on a website. I encourage comments on my rebuttals as well as additional arguments. I will incorporate these into the website version and continually refine them. I will announce here when the website is up. So, without further adieu, the first installment of the Skeptics' Annotated Watchtower - "Bible Teach" edition:

What does the Bible Really Teach?

Read any newspaper. Look at television, or listen to the radio. There are so many stories of crime, war, and terrorism! [1] Think about your own troubles. Perhaps illness or the death of a loved one is causing you great distress. You may feel like the good man Job, who said that he was "drenched with misery."[2] -- Job 10:15, The Holy Bible in the Language of Today

[1] Reading these opening thoughts immediately puts one in a thought process that the world is a truly horrible place. Yes, there are many stories of crime, war, and terrorism, but what the reader often doesn't think about are all the good things about the world today. Those of us in the industrialized world lead healthier lives, live longer, and have a better quality of life than our forefathers. The paragraph also generates anxiety over these things even if the reader was never that much concerned with them to begin with.

[2] The very next statement causes the reader to internalize these very large worldwide issues on to a personal level. Thus, the personal need from salvation from this 'wicked world' is manufactured right in the opening statement. The last sentence further reels the reader in by complimenting them, comparing them with the "good man" Job (who incidently celebrated birthdays). This is the first taste of love-bombing a JW convert will get.

Ask Yourself

• Is this what God purposed for me and for the rest of mankind?
    • Where can I find help to cope with my problems[3]
    • Is there any hope that we will ever see peace on the earth?
    The Bible provides satisfying answers to these questions.

[3] Clever manipulation here. Since the reader is 'asking himself' where he needs help to cope with his problems, this plants the idea that he/she needs help with his/her problems. The thought process begins to break down self-reliance, telling the reader that they need help! with their problems. I wonder who that "help" is going to be?

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

Nice idea B_Deserter. All the best with it, and I look forward to seeing how your site goes.

My suggestion: keep your rebutting comments free from emotion and logical. For example, is "I wonder who that "help" is going to be?" necessary at the end of comment 3?

Also, I don't think 2 qualifies as love bombing, but I'm not certain of the exact definition.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Read any newspaper. Look at television, or listen to the radio. There are so many stories of crime, war, and terrorism!

If you read history books, you will find the same things. Some periods have had even nastier people running things than we have now.

As recently as the 12th century, the population actually dropped. I'm glad I wasn't around then.

It sounds like a great project.

Cheers

Chris

• Gopher
    Gopher

I like the idea. Maybe you could call it "Watchtower Publications -- Between the Lines" (or WTP-BTL for short).

That third point about where the poor, pitiable reader can find "help" out of the horrible situation the previous sentences described in general -- is an obvious setup to direct people to the WTS, and not to the Bible, Christ or God -- obviously because none of these can be 'properly understood' without their organization!

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

How about calling it:

"Watchtower publications...let the reader use disernment"

• Robert7
    Robert7

I think this is a great idea. This is great for lurkers and newbies (like myself) because it helps give a reality perspective on the Kool-aid being dispensed. It is easy to get sucked back into the Borg, so this is great.

I agree that it's important that it is logical and not emotional. The posts by V do a very good job at that. If they were emotional, they could very easily be discounted as 'apostate' by active JWs, so logic should always win.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

This is a good exercize. A few months back I decided to take an open minded look at the "Creation" book (since this is something that doesn't completely bore me into a coma). And I looked up all of the references, and "proofs". What I found was a book that was full of outrageous lies and trickery. This was a big step for me getting out. I never thought of putting together a "rebuttal", but perhaps I could contribute a bit for this book. Don't ask me to help with the "Daniel" book or any of those other snoozers.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

One idea for the format - you could do this as a WIKI (community based project) where you post the material, and then let others contribute their comments. It would obviously have to be moderated. This can be setup and hosted for free on a WikiFarm

• steve2
    steve2

The question "What Does The Bible Really Teach?" is a mad-making one. In some respects, the question is easily answered; but in others, you are at the mercy of interpretation (e.g., try plainly finding the teachings in the Book of Daniel or Revelation). So much of the Bible is written in a symbolic manner that it becomes hard to tell where symbolism ends and "plain" expression begins. That's why there are so many interpretations and anyone who claims to have identified what the Bible really teaches ends up in the very same trap others have fallen into: After a while it is simply one person's view against another's.

• hotchocolate
    hotchocolate

Missing Link, I'd definitely be interested in hearing about the Evolution Book issues. (Oh excuse me, the "CREATION" book) :-)

I have heard reports that there are some major flaws and misquotes, would like to hear more about that. x

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit