Iran - to Stone To Death 2 Sisters

by Rabbit 31 Replies latest social current

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

http://snafu-ed.blogspot.com/2008/02/iranian-sisters-to-be-stoned-to-death.html

This is NOT a 'Muslim bashing' thread. It IS a PERFECT example why old words, found in caves, written by someone you don't know...in a desert far, far away can be dangerous.

Turkey, a 98% Muslim country is a secular country. They don't do stuff like this.

Iran, a 100% Muslim country by law is a Theocracy. They do stuff like this.

Hmmm...now where did I 1st hear about this horrible, barbaric "stoning people to death?" Oh, yeah, I remember now. *sigh* I was a follower.

Be sure to 'click' on the Human Rights Watch link* in this article.

SNAFU-ed .... Situation Normal

Situation normal, for people who don't think at all ... and offbeat news, for the rest of us ...

Thursday, February 7, 2008

Iranian Sisters to Be Stoned to Death for Adultery

Two sisters, Zohreh Kabiri, 27, and Azar Kabiri, 28, have been found guilty of both "illegal relations" (for which they have already received 99 lashes each) and, in a second trial, of "adultery" - for which the sentence is death. Their crimes? Apparently it's limited to being filmed with other men.

Apparently the husband presented a video at trial showing them in the company of other men while he was away. But the video didn't show any "relations" at all.

Additionally, the Supreme Court has approved the ruling and the sentence can be carried out at any time. Human Rights Watch has issued a press release* on the issue.

In stoning a man is buried up to his waist, while a woman is buried up to her chest, prior to stones being thrown. I'm unclear as to why there is a difference, though I do have suspicions.

In the press release, HRW said that Jabar Solati, the lawyer for the two sisters, indicated that since the sentence has already been approved by the Supreme Court, only intervention by the country’s highest judicial official, Ayatollah Mahmud Hashemi Shahrudi, can prevent the stoning.

In 2002 that same official issued a writ halting stoning. Yet the practice of stoning began anew last year when Jafar Kilani was put to death. Frankly, even if the affair were true, stoning? Truly a barbaric practice.

posted at 12:48 AM alt alt

Labels: Adultery, Human Rights Watch , Iran, Stoning

3 comments:

Quattrone said...

As sad as that is, they're better off this way. I'd rather be dead than live in a society like that anyway.

February 7, 2008 7:10 AM
    Anonymous said...

@quattrone: I'm sure Zohreh and Azar would beg to differ.

February 8, 2008 10:27 AM
    Anonymous said...

Notice the men they were "filmed with" are not being stoned for adultery.
    But that's always the case with their barbaric society.

February 9, 2008 9:28 PM

*Human Rights Watch: http://hrw.org/english/docs/2008/02/06/iran17989_txt.htm

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

WOW!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Leave it up to my dear friend, Rabbit to make a good point. Why are people so afraid of the loss of control, either over others or themselves, that they will invent religions with frightening gods who demand this kind of punishment for any kind of crime? The thing is, that adultery is something you do recover from with time. So even if these fine ladies did commit adultery, the husbands would get over it eventually. And if the husbands truly loved them, they might even have chosen to forgive their wives.

This is what I have to say about a god that would promote and condone such high control/fear tactics, He is no better than an abusive, bullyish, even murderous parent. And why would anyone want to serve a god like that? That's how I know that not all of the Bible comes from God. That's how I know not all of the Kuran could be inspired by God. One thing I do believe is that God is love. And I believe it is men and probably some women who came up with these evil practices as a method of control. They credit God. But come on, do we really believe God ever told people to this kind of stuff and blame him?

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

As individuals there is little we can do against inhumanity such as this. For what it's worth, and mybe so that more will participate:

I write letters for Amnesty international. The writing campaigns have success, in the form of sentences being altered or prisoners being released. And it has success if for no other reason than that I and others, will not be silenced. I don't know how it works in the US, or UK, but here in the Netherlands I registered for the Women-rights network and get an email every months with the request to send letters for a particular cause. This month it is to the government of Iran regarding the discriminating laws against women.

• marmot
    marmot

Allahu akhbar!

And forty percent of British muslims want to bring sharia law to the UK, doesn't that make you all warm and fuzzy inside?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Stop the world. I want to get off.

• JH
    JH

I wonder if this makes God mad today?

Although Christ wouldn't approve of this, Jehovah had similar laws in the old testament.

• ninja
    ninja

and all because she said....'That piece of halibut was good enough for Allah.'

• Mary
    Mary
    Their crimes? Apparently it's limited to being filmed with other men. Apparently the husband presented a video at trial showing them in the company of other men while he was away. But the video didn't show any "relations" at all.

I think I'll join Islam. It seems like such a reasonable, loving religion.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Rabbit,

This is NOT a 'Muslim bashing' thread. It IS a PERFECT example why old words, found in caves, written by someone you don't know...in a desert far, far away can be dangerous.

Yes, quite so.

Anybody who has a faith and belief in the Bible should shudder, because within those pages is the blueprint, laid down by a desert God, for execution of adulterers by stoning. It preceded the Koran by hundreds of years and the Christian faith is firmly established on its principles.

Islam is a religion in a state of arrested adolescence. Christianity has had the benefit of the Western World to force it to grow up, and even then it has been pulled kicking and screaming into each successive century, leaving behind its own trail of bloody destruction.

Historically, I see very little difference between these two religions, but the passage of time. I am quite sure that we have reached an age of scientific and social enlightenment which will mean such ancient religions will either bend or break.

HS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit