Apart from "My Book Of Bible Stories" and the "Paradise" book?

by Crumpet 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I loved Greek fables! I would read them over and over ....

Used to read the Mr. Meddles stories too ... loved them as well.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

My childhood reading mostly consisted of "My Book of Bible Studies" and "Mommy, What's Drunk?"

That's probably why I don't read many books.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Frank L Baum's Oz books. I loved them, bought a couple for the kids I used to nanny, two Xmas ago. They now have quite a collection and read them before bed at night with their dad. Sadly, I had to read most of them behind my parent's back, at the school library.

• faundy
    faundy

Crumpet- wow a 1920 edition? I nearly bought The Moonstone the other day but it was 8 quid and I'm a broke student. I have had The Woman in White on my shelf for a while- Waterstones sell them published by the Modern Library- they're just gorgeous to hold and read; books are my life.

• Odrade
    Odrade

No Name is a very good book. Wilke Collins was one of my favs. Not really children's stories though.

what else: Gwen Bristow, Louisa May Alcott, Mary Stewart, Dickens...

Childrens' books were not usually author related for me (other than the Oz books, Little House on the Prairie, Anne of Green Gables, etc) mostly I read subjects-- tons of biographies, histories, science "stories", etc. I was limited by a small town library, but it was a GOOD library... one of the Carnegie libraries, so it was established well.

• Layla33
    Layla33

Now this is a subject I absolutely can relate to.

I loved "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", I was a huge C.S. Lewis fan. I absolutely adored Charolette's Web and some books from other countries my mom and dad used to bring for me. I could get lost in books and had a huge library when I was a kid.

As I got older, I definitely grew with my taste. I remember the book "the bluest eyes" by toni morrison, it changed me. I read a lot of Judy Blume, I remember starting at Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and then getting in trouble for reading "Forever". I even read her adult books and liked that she changed with the times. I also read Beverly Clearly and all those Sweet Valley Romance novels, but I could read them in one day. We had a book club in junior high school and we would pass those books around like nothing.

I also liked mysteries and poetry. My favorite poets growing up were Langston Hughes, Sonia Sanchez, Maya Angelou, Robert Frost, E.E. Cummings, and Emily Dickson to name a few.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

My two favorite series as a child were Encyclopedia Brown and Pippy Longstalkings.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

Hi Crumpet.

'Biggles' stories by Capt. W.E. Johns.

"I loved "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe", I was a huge C.S. Lewis fan." - Layla, one of my kids told me that Peter Jackson was going to direct 'The Lyin' Bitch in the Wardrobe' !

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

When I was a kid my favorite books were by Beverly Cleary and the characters in her books. Beezus and Ramona series with Otis Spofford and Henry Higgins and Ellen Tebbetts and her book about a mouse Runaway Ralph. Of course I liked A Wrinkle In Time and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

LRG

• Tyrone van leyen
    Tyrone van leyen

I kinda like the older books of my dad. That's all there was. My dad was a foreign expert in records managment, so every once and while, we would get cool things, like comic books from the thirties and forties, or newspapers, pre-confederation, or books from the library of parliament 1870's or so. I have 1916 Bobsey Twins. I have pre confederation newspapers mint condition 1917 from Newfoundland. I have original journals that storekeepers used in 1914 to record purchases. The first book I bought was " The story of Louis Braille, copyright 1971. I was only in grade 1. I still have it. I still have my first toothbrush, My first razor, my first newpaper. That is the life of an archivists son. Books I liked when I was young ?. "Buddy on the Farm" The Big book for boys." Comics.

I remember subscribing to Mr Peanut when I was 7 or so. I wanted their colouring book! They sent it to me, after weeks of waiting. I was always a sucker for those comic book ads, and Bazooka Joe comics. ( the ones you find wrapped up in gum). I sent away for telescopes and cameras and religiously collected my gum. One time I saved up 32 cents and bought a whole bunch of gum. My mom forced me to distribute it to everyone present. I hated her for that! I won an award once for my public speaking. It was a book I got in grade 7 called. The Last Voyage of sir Robert Falcon Scott. I read it and have been enthralled ever since. Shackleton was a peice of work too, along with the Franklin expidition. Good reading!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit