What to expect of the upcoming Memorial?

by Shadow1 10 Replies latest jw friends

• Shadow1
    Shadow1

Can anyone tell me what to expect of the upcoming "Memorial"? I know it is on March 22nd, but what will actually take place? Is this something that my wife will be away at, all day again? Or is it basically just getting together with family for dinner and such? Should I just plan on doing my "own thing" for the day?

Shadow1

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

It's an evening event (after sundown) and the 'meeting' only lasts for about 45 minutes (last time I went).

My family used to have a gathering back at our house with lots of people. Coffee, cake, snacks, etc.

But, no. It's not an all-day event.

-Aude.

btw - Welcome to JWD!

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

There will be left over wine and bread crumbs.

• JH
    JH

You can expect a dent on your car by someone who parked too close and opened their door on your car, because too many people try to cram up the little kingdom hall for that event.

Yep, that happened to me more than once.....

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    JH wrote: You might have a dent on your car by someone who parked too close and opened their door on your car, because too many people try to cram up the little kingdom hall for that event.

Actually, my brother and SIL went a couple of years and were shocked at how empty the hall was. They were expecting it to be packed but was only about half full. I don't know if they ever went again. The witnesses *do* make a push to get as many as possible to attend, though. This included school mates, work mates, studies, non-jw family, DF'd and DA'd people. Everyone. Shadow1 - are you planning on joining your wife?? Also, there were some very good threads from last year's "celebration of the denial of christ" - as some called it. If you are looking for details of the actual meeting/commemoration you may find them very interesting. -Aude.

• JH
    JH
    Actually, my brother and SIL went a couple of years and were shocked at how empty the hall was

Once they put 2 congregations together for that one event, and it was jam packed..... They found a way to fill up the hall...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

A severe lack of white wine...

• NYCkid
    NYCkid

Hello Shadow1,

Sorry to hear about your situation. It's too bad your wife wasn't exactly truthful to you during courtship. I'm just curious if the general descriptions of the memorial and assemblies you are receiving here are similar to what your wife describes to you?

As others have, I feel I must warn you that as your wife becomes more devoted to this religion, you are placed lower and lower on her list of priorities. My mother puts her religion before her own children. It's just par for the course with them and other cults.

Good luck!

Best,

NYCkid (fellow atheist)

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

- "Is this something that my wife will be away at, all day again? Or is it basically just getting together with family for dinner and such? Should I just plan on doing my "own thing" for the day? "

You mean you haven't been invited yet?

Your wife will get to pray for a glass of wine, then look at it. They will then pray for some crackers, and then look at them. Then everybody goes home, except for the elders who get sloshed on all the wine that didn't get drank.

• Shadow1
    Shadow1

Thank you all...

-Aude-...no, I'll not be attending with my wife. As she would have nothing to do with my celebrating Christmas with my family, -she is on her own for this event. I really can't see myself ever attending anything in regards to this Organization.

-Shadow-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit