What if regular meeting attendance wasn't a requirement?

by R.F. 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwitless
    exwitless

I bet the Sunday meeting attendance would still be pretty good, but the 2 weekday meetings would be almost deserted. Except for those few die-hard dubs that are at every single meeting no matter what.

• yourmomma
    yourmomma

Joshua was diligent in reading the Bible, correct? So, this article is saying that the Bible is God's organization? What Scriptures prove Joshua knew anything about an organization? What Scriptures prove that Joshua appreciated God's organization?

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux
    What Scriptures prove that Joshua appreciated God's organization?

He was the leader of it. Leaders tend to appreciate the cooperation of their subjects. As the tithes were rolling in, I would also have been thinking "Yep, I sure do appreciate this organization".

• gymbob
    gymbob

Maddie is spot on.....

Regular meeting attendance is part of the indoctrination part of the cult.

When you start missing the meetings you start "sobering up" and see clearer how much BS is taught at the hall.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I could come up with a situation where meeting attendance would explode. First, if people were no longer hounded to go to boasting sessions and go out in field circus, and they were allowed to look at independent sources including apostate material, they would now have to improve the quality of the meetings. If they did not, they would soon find themselves going belly up.

However, if they came up to the challenge and improved the value of the meetings sufficiently, people would want to go. At some point, it would be downright stupid to not go, and people would realize that. If people go, and learn things in an integrated fashion, then they are going to be fascinated by what they learn there. That is going to make it difficult for them to find excuses to miss them, since they are going to actually lose value by missing them. Better to go to a meeting where you learn something worthwhile, and in a fully integated fashion, than stay home and watch football or a movie.

Then, people are not going to shut up about it. Word of mouth would bring in others, without a single word from the platform about doing more to advertise it. You would not hear anything about giving up something in order to make room for it. And, the more people learn in a fully integrated fashion that is of practical use, the more they are going to like it. No one would have to waste the 90% or more of every meeting explaining why it's important to make all the meetings or do more in field circus, or avoid apostate material (which would be blatantly laughable if the original really was fully integrated). So, better programs, better meeting attendance.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I like it WTW..If they did something about the quality of the meetings , the flock would not have to be chased and have a "guilt trip" laid on them if they fail to attend.

As it stands, if they said it was up to them to go or not? attendance would nose dive. There was always a good reason not to attend. Tired after a hard day, The chance to earn overtime, the kids look as though might be sickening for something .....etc. And of course Satan always arranged the best TV on a Tuesday and Thursday evening.................

The next question is "What should they do to improve them?"

Some decent rousing songs might help, like gospel churches. Have real free discussions where everyones view was welcome and encouraged, not just read from the paragraph. Discuss some real Bible background and let the audience make application ....

Engender a real family spirit..Make it FUN

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

I tend to agree with exwitless, midweek meetings would be a wash out.

The more you stand back from the situation the more things you really see.

Those more special times of year such as easter (memorial) where the women come to show off there new wardrobe, yes I've dropped 2 dress sizes too.

Hope4Others

• inkling
  • leaving-jws
    leaving-jws

I think if regular meeting attendance wasn't a requirement most people would still go. Only the people who really did not want to be at the meetings, in the first place, will use it as an excuse not to go.

Most people would see it as a sign that the Great Tribulation is about to errupt.

They would say, "See, Jehovah is preparing us for the Great T when the meetings will have to go underground. Jehovah wants to test us to see how we will respond during the Great T!"

Plus, you will still have those competitive people (pioneers, elders, and elderettes) who would say, "Even though regular meeting attendance is not mandatory, I do not forsake meeting attendance because I love Jehovah."

• R.F.
    R.F.

I really agree with leaving-jws point about JWs feeling that it's a test if meetings were to be optional, showing your allegiance with the organization.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit