Tornados and GOD's providence...

by nomoreguilt 7 Replies latest jw friends

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

It's always devestating when a tornado strikes and innocent lives are lost. The weather is a formidable force and although great strides have been made in predicting it, it can never be controlled. I am always in awe of the destructive force that tornados carry, totally destroying one side of a street and not touching the other.

Yet, how many times do we here this statement..."Oh but for the providecne of god no one was killed". However, in the next county, a dozen or more people were killed by the same tornado. What, was god not interested in those poor people?? Was it his providence that they died?? Did he need them in heaven? Were they sinning and he executed his judgement on them? If they were to use this logic every day then they would heve to attribute every car accident, every stray bullet, and every fatal snake bite on him.

People!! God doesn't give a rats behind about people. He isn't operative in the affairs of the earth. Maybe he did put us on the earth and maybe it was just a creator that did this. But to have this mindset that A god protected 1000 people and not another 50 others is insane.

My two cents worth.

NMG

• undercover
    undercover

You must have stolen the pennies off my desk...

It's always bugged the shit out of me when people say how God protected them or saved them or a loved one. I heard someone say after the tornadoes this week that God was holding their leg as the tornado roared above them. I've heard people comment on how God saved the baby that was virtually unharmed and found in a field.

I guess God hated the 40some people that died. I guess they deserved it.

Even the witnesses have the same line of thinking. Right after 9/11 a District Overseer gave the closing talk at an assembly that I had the misfortune of attending (I think it was one of the last assemblies I ever went to). We all knew that several witnesses had died that day. In fact, several in our circuit knew one brother, a firefighter, who died while trying to save others.

But the brother gave the experience of how a brother in NY had been trying to get a job with a company for some time. At the same time, the bother had been invited to go to Ministerial School. Well, as luck (er, I mean, bad fortune or Satan) would have it, he was offered a job at the company that would start the same week as the school. He asked if he could push his start date out a few weeks but was told take it or leave it. After praying to Old Joe Hober, he declined the job and went to the MS school.

When would he have started his new job? 9-11-200. Where was the company? In the World Trade Center.

So the DO summed up by saying that by putting spiritual things first, Old Joe saved the brother from death.

I immediately called bullshit. What about the 13 JWs who died? Where they being punished for not putting spiritual things first? Was about the firefighter brother? He was trying to save people. Was that against some Bible principle, so now he deserved to die?

I bet the whole story was made up just to scare the dubs into activity in the days following the attacks.

• Open mind
    Open mind

nomoreguilt:

But to have this mindset that A god protected 1000 people and not another 50 others is insane.

That may be true, but he clearly favored the New York Giants over the Patriots last Sunday.

OM

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    God doesn't give a rats behind about people. He isn't operative in the affairs of the earth.

That is not true.

The reality is that Jesus was trying to flatten an adult book store in Tenessee by use of a new Tornado machine that Angel Engineering Inc. sent to him and his aim was not very good as he was new to the machine.

His heart is in the right place, but his aim is not. Should be okay after a little practice.

HS

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Good post, I cant argue with you.

When people falll under the Godspell the say and do quirky things.

But on the other hand it pops in my head, about 7 years after I escaped the Tower. I was reading my bible daily. I was attending AA meetings. I was in a spiritual paradise. I was riding my Harley Through Downtown Clearwater on Fort Harrison in front of the headquarters of the church of Scientology. I was heading for an AA meeting at 301. I was going 35 miles an hour. A fellow in a gold colored lexus made a left turn in front of me. My options were to hit him or hit the telephone pole. It flashed through my head that my life was over and things went into slow motion. That week I read in easy riders magazine that many people die from hitting cars while riding harleys. The article said that it wasnt necessary. They said at the point of impact jump up and you will fly over the car. I knew I couldnt put the bike down at 35 mph or the road would burn my skin off and I would still end up flying into the car.

So God or life or my sympathetic nervous system slowed everything down from 35 mph to very slow motion and when my bike hit the lexus I jumped up I remember somersaulting over the hood of the lexus and then it was as if something picked me up and with a wooshing sound placed me on my feet 25 feet down the street from the lexus. The accident totaled my bike, The fire department was looking for the body. When they found me they couldnt belive I was walking around and unhurt. They said when the bike gets destroyed like that so does the rider.

This happened in front of the church of scientologies world headquarters. After the accident while I was waiting for a friend to pick me up the scientologist took me all through their headquarters they were showing me all of their officies and meeting rooms. They told me they thought I was one of their leaders who could fly because he had reached clear visiting headquarters. I told them I wasnt a scientologist but that I was going to an AA meeting. They said they could tell I was some kind of spiritual person because I could fly.

My wife and I had a routine of going for a motorcycle ride every sunday morning. We would start out with breakfast at Emilys which was around the corner from Scientology headquarters. After I got my new Harley from the insurance money I resumed my practice and routnine. Quite a few times over the next year scientologist would come up and talk to me and my wife and they told my wife they saw me flying down Fort Harrison like I knew magic.

I remember flying like Kenau Reeves in the Matrix movies. They saw me and told me and my wife they saw me. I dont really expect you to believe me. But it did happen

I hit a car at 35mph on a harley and landed on my feet 25 feet down the street without a scratch.

50% of the people I tell this story to say it was God the othe 50% say I am good at jumping off motorcycles going 35mph and flying over cars and landing on my feet unhurt.

When it happened I thought it was God. It was me who jumped up at the point of impact and it was me who summersaulted over the hood of the car but then God or more likely an angle picked me up and put me down on my feet. I was tumbling over the car then I went up in the air and came straight down.

But since I have become agnostic and almost atheist in the new millenium its just become the best story I have in my sad life.

I figure everybody has a story like mine if they live long enough.

• joebin
    joebin
    Old Joe

That made me laugh, good one.

It's like how the jw around new orleans were saved cause they had an assembly in texas

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

What about the 125,000+ people who died in the tsunami couple years ago?

• designs
    designs

Leaving a Christian Conference in Florida a Pastor his wife and daughter and two other church members die in an auto accident on Hwy 75.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit