When, if ever, did you start caring about POLITICS?

by Open mind 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

I've said a few times on here that I'm 99% mentally free of JWism, or something similar. But I think I may need to back that number down just a bit.

I now believe that this world is all we've got and that,collectively, it matters what we as a species do on this orb if we want to continue to spread our DNA indefinitely. (Some would argue that human extinction would be a good thing, but I'm not in that camp. Of course, as a homo-sapien, I'm a little biased. I digress, as usual.)

Given all that, I SHOULD be very concerned about politics. I'm not. Maybe in time I will be. I care about certain issues and I suppose that's what will probably eventually suck me in.

How 'bout you? How long did it take? Or are you still politically ambivalent?

OM
    of the, 95% free of JWism, class

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I was still a JW when I started caring about politics. Working in a political environment probably had something to do with it. My job depends on the correct party having enough seats in the house.

W

• Open mind
    Open mind

So FF, can you let us know which party secretly has a thing for Cockatoos?

OM

• oompa
    oompa
    Mind opener: Given all that, I SHOULD be very concerned about politics. I'm not. Maybe in time I will be. I care about certain issues and I suppose that's what will probably eventually suck me in.

How 'bout you? How long did it take? Or are you still politically ambivalent?

I have been addicted to politics for at least 20 years and have still not voted, as I only really woke up two years ago....and have not got used to it yet....The funny thing is....I don't think your or my vote really matters....things in USA will march on..........and unless you are in the military I do not think who is president really matters.................................................imo..................oompa

• Open mind
    Open mind

Oompa-loomp:

The funny thing is....I don't think your or my vote really matters....things in USA will march on.........

This is the kind of statement that gets a lot of voter's blood boiling. But, it's also probably a big reason I haven't gotten involved yet either.

I wonder how tough it would be to try explaining my name to the illdoers if it showed up on a list of registered voters? Technically, JW's are allowed to vote. Yeah, right.

Here's an idea: I could say that I wanted to give an extra "witness" to the election workers by writing in "God's Kingdom" on the ballot.

Think that would fly with your elders? Could you say it with a straight face?

OM

• llbh
    llbh

i voted bt post first time 5years ago, now i always do.

I vote by post as it easier.

I signed my first interent petition last week.

We live in relatively free western democracies and i value this as i do not want to live under any other sort of rule, therefore to vote is important, it just requires us to think. no bad thing

regards

David

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I started caring about politics when I realized that I was working waaaay too hard just to support people who didn't feel like working. I was 20 years old busting my ass running my own business and working a night job to help out when the business wasn't doing too good, and then it came time to pay taxes. Why do I need to pay so much taxes? I figured it out! It was so my meth addict neighbors with two kids could work just long enough so they would still qualify for the maximum earned-income tax "credit" for them and their two kids. They would tell me how they got a $6,000 "tax refund". I knew they probably didn't earn $6,000 all year, much less paid $6,000 in taxes to get a refund. So, what it amounted to was that I was working extra hard so people who I didn't want to live next to me could use my money to afford to live there and trash up the neighborhood. That's when I started to care about politics, because politicians use MY money to buy votes from these people. They screw the hard working acheivment-oriented people of the world to support deadbeats who will vote for them. When you rob Peter to pay Paul, you can always count on the support of Paul.

Don't get me wrong, I know there are people who are out there who need help, and I am a charitable person. If I personally know of someone who needs help and I can help, I do. But what I don't agree with is the government using it's power to take money from MY family to give to somebody else's family at the point of a gun. As a result, I have become very conservative fiscally. But, I am a social liberal. So, I really don't fit in with the Republicans, because, yes, they preach fiscal conservatism, but they really don't practice it. Also, their social platform doesn't represent my beliefs. I believe that the government should let me keep my money and only tax the citizens of this country to pay for essential government stuff, like roads and schools etc. I also believe that the government shouldn't get in between me and my God (or my lack of a belief in God), and that the government shouldn't make laws regarding what I want to drink, smoke, inhale, snort, inject in MY body. I also believe that the government shouldn't be able to force women to have a baby that they don't want. If abortion is really "wrong" or "immoral", then God will get your ass later if he sees fit. The government should stay out of it, that is unless all those people who protest abortions want to start adopting the thousands of unwanted kids that would result from those women not having access to those abortions. I also believe that the government shouldn't be able to tell two consenting adults what sort of behavior they can engage in or acts they can perform on each other in the privacy of their own home. I also believe that the government has no business telling me that I can't buy a beer on a Sunday or that my kids have to pray in school. In a nut shell, my take on morals is this: You should be free to do whatever you want, just as long as what you are doing isn't depriving someone else of their life, liberty, or property.

So, I guess that makes me a libertarian. I know that a libertarian candidate has a snowball's chances in hell of ever winning the presidency, so every four years I'm faced with a dilemma: Do I vote democrat and satify my liberal social tendencies or do I vote republican to satisfy my conservative fiscal ideas? Usually, I defaul to the fiscal side of things, because me paying more taxes has a more direct and immediate effect on me and my family than their feeble attempts at enforcing their severe morals on me. I'm scared what will happen if whoever we elect allows the Bush tax cuts to expire. The average family will have to pay an extra $1,500 a year in taxes. That's $1,500 we can all use to buy groceries, gas, a vacation, you name it. So, I'm still undecided about who to vote for in November. It's gonna take a lot of thought. But, I'm pretty sure I can't allow myself to vote for Hillary. She scares the hell out of me. Anyway, I think I typed enough. :)

• Gopher
    Gopher

When I was a JW, I knew little about politics. I had heard of "conservative/reactionary/liberal/radical" before, but didn't know how it translated into the way the world worked.

Then I started listening to a certain right-wing radio program (Rush), and I know I wasn't the only JW who listened because a couple of others mentioned it. I got some grasp of political issues, although seriously biased.

I got more involved in understanding all sides of issues after I parted ways with the JW's. This board was a good sounding board for various political ideas, and I enjoyed the discussions (rowdy though they got at times).

I first voted in 2002, and have voted in every even-numbered year ever since.

• AlyMC
    AlyMC

I didn't vote until the 04 election, the same year I officially left... I felt involved from the 2000 election onward though. I still regret not going out and voting then, but I hadn't quite found my nerve.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Being global citizens, it behooved me to pay strict attention to the political winds being driven. We are all affected, in one way or another by the actions, and in many cases, non actions of our fellow citizens. Allowing your voice to be squelched because of religious bigotry can in the end cancel out an awful lot of good.

"Oh if I'd have just cast my vote for__________, I may've been able to stem the tide of whatever fool hardy bunch of wanna' be helpers of." Now we're left with this bunch to run the country. I don't think god would have us be un-involved, as he would, un-informed. Stupid people, or those who vote without a reasonably clear understanding of all that's at stake are even more dangerous then those who would do us harm, once in office. It's delicate balancing pole that must be danced. But dance, you must!!!

1st Timothy 2:1-7

1 I urge you, first of all, to pray for all people.Ask God to help them; intercede on their behalf, and give thanks for them. 2Pray this way for kings and all who are in authority so that we can live peaceful and quiet lives marked by godliness and dignity. 3 This is good and pleases God our Savior, 4 who wants everyone to be saved and to understand the truth. 5 For there is only one God and one Mediator who can reconcile God and humanity—the man Christ Jesus. 6 He gave his life to purchase freedom for everyone. This is the message God gave to the world at just the right time. 7 And I have been chosen as a preacher and apostle to teach the Gentiles this message about faith and truth. I’m not exaggerating—just telling the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit