We lose our loved ones twice.

by wanderlustguy 14 Replies latest jw friends

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I just received a message from one of my closest friends. We grew up together and were/are as close as brothers. His father was like a second dad to me…he died two days ago after two weeks in the hospital. I’m 1,000 miles away, the funeral is in one hour from now. We had not spoken in 10 years or more.

The religious group we both were a part of makes the rules about who we can and cannot talk to in several ways. This relationship was affected by just one method. He was judged by several men to be an unrepentant sinner, and then announced as disfellowshipped, which meant to the rest of us that we could “not even share a meal” with him. If we saw him in public it meant turning and walking the other direction, or at the most, a tight smile and a nod. It’s common for parents of people who have been disfellowshipped to refer to their children as already dead, if they even refer to them at all. Wills are changed, names are not allowed to be uttered, and a phone call results in a dead line as soon as the caller is identified. "Family" becomes a word that means abandoned.

He was a troubled person, but also a good man overall. He saw things I could never have imagined and made the best decisions he could. I can’t say anything about him that could not be applied to me. By the time I learned enough to be free of the control of the group, I had lost touch with almost everyone I knew, either because I had just moved away or it was obvious I do not practice the religion anymore. In any case, I had hoped to get to see him when I went back this time. But now it will never happen.

Two friends of mine have each recently lost their fathers, one a couple of days ago, and another in June, each has not spoken to their father for a considerable amount of time, and one of them was not allowed to visit her dad on his deathbed, because she does not believe in the same religion as him. My brother died in August, fortunately for me I had told him I loved him a week prior, but that doesn’t make up for the 10 years before that when we couldn’t speak to each other. We lose our families twice, some even more often. It makes the last time so much harder than it should be, so many words left unspoken.

This is why I try to share stories about what happens to us. No one knows who we are, no one knows there are religious groups that control every aspect of people’s lives including stripping away the families that we all need in order to have emotional balance. They take these things using the Bible and a self proclaimed insight into God’s will, along with varied degrees and methods of mind control. Once a group shows up and begins to actively share the methods and motivations of these groups, they are wiped away by attorneys paid with money provided by the same people who are being victimized.

One day, perhaps we and the courts of our societies will see freedom of religion protects INDIVIDUAL freedom, not the freedom of the Organizations to use whatever tactics they see fit to maintain their margins.

Some of us lose our families twice because of these groups. They call those of us who left and do not believe in their self proclaimed position of being God’s Messenger “Apostates”. To our families and loved ones we used to know we are called liars, immoral, and described as a dog returning to its vomit. Yet we watch as old articles are rewritten or referred to as “old light” because the predictions in them did not come true. We watch our parents grow old and die with barely enough resources to survive into their natural retirement. We watch children die from refusing tested and proven medical treatments to protect the Organization from lawsuits as a result of a flawed policy based on everything but the truth. One day there will be enough of us to call these groups to an accounting for their abuse of position, and I hope I live to see it.

2 Corinthians 11: 13-15

13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workers, transforming themselves into apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself keeps transforming himself into an angel of light. 15 It is therefore nothing great if his ministers also keep transforming themselves into ministers of righteousness. But their end shall be according to their works.

WLG

• seven006
    seven006

Donnie,

It looks like you are back to thinking too much again. Even though you moved 1000 miles away your old life seems to always find you again. When it comes to ANY cult-like minority religion made in America, alienation of ex-members is a major part of their repertoire, they are all exactly the same in that aspect. JW’s, Mormons, Scientologist, Christian Scientist or who ever. Their striving to be unique and different is what makes them all exactly the same. Getting all that bullshit out of your life is like the Eagles song Hotel California.

“You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.”

That should be the opening theme of their religions.

If you get feeling bad again. You got my number. I know when you start quoting bible scriptures you are not well.

Take care and call me if you need to, Id like to hear from you.

Dave.

• zanex
    zanex

Losing him twice....Lost my dad once when i got expunged from the r/f of the society vomital page and then again when he died...I can TOTALLY feel ya dude...and those who have died before us have paved the way for us to maintain with even more focused of purpose on what it is that we NEED to do-make change.

Change. The one thing that the WTBTS does not wish to acknowledge MUST happen in order for ANY of us (JW, XJW, DF, APOSTATE, NonJW, ALL) to become a bigger face on the earth-a HUMAN race. I can still recall hearing the same talks and the same drivel shovelled deep within our orifices that we thoguht would save us into the "New System" but ultimately I cannot remember any talks that spoke to HUMAN equality and HUMAN fair treatment regardless of race, creed, gender, sexual preference, religious preference and ANY other kind of categories that humans fit themselves into.

Lost my father....after easily 10-15 years plus of estrangement but somehow I feel as though this is the time and this is the place in which change CAN happen on a LARGE scale....maybe...just MAYBE he had to die in order for this change to occur...MAYBE it was not his place to make the next evolutionary step towards true equality but his death has sped up my own progress towards a bigger, better more HUMAN lifestyle.

And D, we ARE known...for each one of us that falls along the wayside there is a level of strength that is imparted from the anger and the pain that the WTBTS inflicts upon us and we USE it....more and more and MORE the ones who DONT know us are the ones who choose to look the other way and dig deeper into their own ignorance and pit of naive thought.

You said, "One day there will be enough of us to call these groups to an accounting for their abuse of position, and I hope I live to see it."

I say lets BE the cornerstone upon which the REAL truth is built-human truth...ya got my fires burning man....

I may have lost my pop July 3rd, the day before the celebration of independance for the USA, but it was a day that will have forever funneled a critical line of thinking into a birth of sorts into my own head....this baby is gonna grow and grow....we WILL be around to see them bite their collective fingers when our voices are too strong and loud to be ignored. Sigh...im gettin melodramatic again...(chuckle dammit man!)

-Z-

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

AMEN to everything you said.

I firmly believe we will be here to see it. This religion is a violation of HUMAN RIGHTS, and very shortly, I believe I will see the day when this religion faces an investigation into its abuse of human rights - then ALL will see it...

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

A really well put and thought out post WLG.

I could look at it that my parents will die believing a fantasy, but they are happy in that fantasy world. I only wish I could be so ignorant and narrow minded. Nah of course I don't. I'll die with my eyes wide open drinking in the sights and sounds and smells and human touches of the paradise we live in now. There's a little piece of paradise in every day, as well as a little piece of hell, but mostly we get to choose which we absorb most of.

• Maddie
    Maddie

I agree with what you said but one day they will have to pay for all the hurt they have caused.

Maddie

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug

D~ take all the manure they have supplied and plant a garden.

I thought all day but I think Dave said it best. So I will leave it at that and wish you a nights peace.

Decki

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

I thought all day but I think Dave said it best.

Doesn't he always?!?!

I think the best one I've heard from Dave, or one of the best is "you will never be a Witness again, but you will always be an ex-witness".

WLG

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

WLG,

So sorry for your loss. I know what you are saying. We lost our son in 1995 and again in 2007.

Love and hugs,

Gramma Velta

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Doesn't he always?!?!

Yes and witty to boot. Good humor that does not cut as he spills it. I have much respect for that man. Yes I said Man. (not boy, not dude, not brother..although he might be black?) Just a good man. What more can you ask?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit