Flimsy Excuses to Miss a Meeting

by WTWizard 15 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

We have seen that they are cracking down on skipping boasting sessions. I have seen that thread stating the three F's (Fever, Fracture, Funeral) as the only valid excuses for missing one. And there are reports that the book study hounder will hound people for missing one. I saw a thread recently about people that went through hell and high water (including one that paid with their life) to make every boasting session.

Now, I thought it appropriate to discuss the flimsiest excuses for missing meetings. I have heard the football one just about every time at the boasting sessions (that seems to be the stock excuse). Any sport event on TV seems to be a good reason to blow off the boasting sessions.

As children, I can imagine some of the tricks used to skip a meeting. They are similar to the ones to skip school (running hot water on the thermometer, puking on purpose, and having the sore throat that miraculously goes away after the bus goes by are the common ones). Producing a mountain of homework that seems to get done in 10 minutes after the boasting session starts is another. I have also heard of rigging parents' alarm clocks, usually disabling the alarm, so it will not go off when they have to get up for the boasting session or so they will sleep through the alarm. I remember blowing off regular church by going in the basement, locking the door, and taking the key in with me so they had to waste the time to buy another key.

Grown ups have other excuses. The common ones are having to work late, having a headache (which usually means you need more sleep), and taking too long for supper on the ever-present boasting session nights. Other excuses are rain (if you have to walk, "forget" to get that umbrella and use the "I don't want my suit or littera-trash to get wet" excuse). You can also use the car wouldn't start excuse if it is cold. (Funny, it starts perfectly when it is 10 degrees colder in the morning). I used to "forget" to call for rides when the person picking me up has a talkout and I needed a ride (and I skipped the boasting session). "Forgetting" to set one's alarm clock is another trick--you can then use the old "My alarm clock didn't go off" excuse.

Then there is the mix-up on dates excuse. It is common for witlesses to think it's Wednesday when it's Thursday and miss the boasting session (but they usually remember what day it is when it's time to go to work). Or, you can "forget" to set the clock back (you will be an hour late for the boasting session, then decide not to go at all).

Anyone else have any other flimsy or wimpy excuses they have used to blow off the boasting sessions?

• snowbird
    snowbird

At the beginning, I wouldn't have missed a meeting for anything. My sister and I used to walk to and from the Sunday meetings. We would also walk to the evening meetings and catch a ride back with someone because it would be dark by then.

Later on, when the boring repetitiousness began to grate on my nerves, I would use any excuse to miss going to meetings. It got so bad that I would hope to have to work late on meeting nights. It didn't help any that I was taking care of my mother who used to do all sorts of bizarre things while I would be away.

I don't know how I or anyone else did it. I get a sick feeling in my stomach just thinking about it.

Sylvia

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember being shocked when a brother said he missed the meeting because he had to get his income tax finished. Poor excuse....

• Shepherd Book
    Shepherd Book

I was getting ready for bookstudy once when a friend called and asked me if I wanted to go see Austin Powers with him.

"But I have bookstudy tonight," I told him.

"Okay, let me tell you what you'll miss if you don't go to bookstudy - the Pharisess say somethign to Jesus, then Jesus points out why they're wrong, then you'll read the same account four times from each gospel."

So I missed the meeting to go see a movie.

That friend, by the way, is an elder now.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Who needs an excuse? unless you have a really zealous family who will give you a hard time...

Around here the elders don't give a toss. The family complain that they could be dead for all the congregation care. Nobody ever asks if they miss.

• poppers
    poppers
    That friend, by the way, is an elder now.

Next time you see him ask him if he's seen any Austin Powers movies lately.

• pratt1
    pratt1

Tooth ache.

easy excuse to use and the next day you could act like the pain just went away.

• Meeting Junkie No More
    Meeting Junkie No More

No stockings that didn't have runs in them...

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

I had a cousin that Superglued her fingers together so as not to have to go. Turns out that she got caught forny-katin and she was using any excuse not to go face the music, including injuring herself. Of course, she was also an idiot, so it may have been accidental.

• minimus
    minimus

The cat is sick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit