No one comes to the Father but through Me

by JH 19 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• marsal
  • marsal
    marsal

JH,

If you have a Kingdom Interlinear Translation, you will see that the word "me " is in John 14:14 in the Greek text. I wonder why the NWT took that word out.

• JH
    JH

No I don't have the Kingdom Interlinear Translation. How come their own book contradicts their own bible? *scratching my head*

• JH
    JH

It's scary to think that your eternal life can depend on a verion of the bible that someone fooled around with.....

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

The New World Translation is well-deserving of criticism, but not in this verse. Because the word for "me" is missing in some ancient manuscripts, there are translations that agree with the NWT in John 14:14. For example,

• "Ask anything in my name, and I will do it!" (The New Living Translation)
    • "I will grant whatever you shall ask in My Name." (The Amplified Bible)
    • "If ye ask anything in my name, I shall do it." (The Wycliffe Bible)
    • "If ye ask anything in my name I will do it." (Miles Coverdale Bible, Young's Literal Translation)
    • "If ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (American Standard Version, Darby Translation, Geneva Bible, King James Version, Tyndale's New Testament, Webster's Bible Translation, Wesley's New Testament)
    • "If you ask anything in my name, I will do it." (J.P. Green's Literal Translation, New King James Version, New Life Bible, Revised Standard Version)
    • "If you will ask anything in my name, I will do it." (Hebrew Names Version)
    • "If you will ask anything in my name, that will I do." (World English Bible)
    • "Whatever you request in this way, I'll do." (The Bible in Contemporary Language)
    • "When ye shall ask any thing in my name, I will do it." (Daniel Mace New Testament)

• JH
    JH

In any case, Jesus says HE will do it.....not Jehovah

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

Thanks Eliveleth for your post. What you say sounds good, but from a JW point of view, if you don't adore the true God, you're dead, because the father is a jealous God.

14For you must not prostrate yourself to another god, because Jehovah, whose name is Jealous, he is a jealous God;

JH,

I know that the WT and JWs have a different point of view but this is what the Bible says:

God does not want us worshipping false gods, the Bible says that. At John 1:1 the NWT says that the "Word is a god". We all know there is only one true God, right? Is the Word (Jesus) a true god or a false god?

Hebrews 1:6

"And again, when God brings his firstborn into the world, he says, "Let all God's angelsworship him."

Even the New World translation says this. If the angels are commanded to worship Him by GOD, his Father, then why would we, being lower than the angels, not worship Him?

Lets say you are a King and you have a son you love very much, but there is something going on in a town aways from you and you send your son to go and find out what is happening and to encourage the people in the town. Your son goes and tells the people that there is hope and that you love them and have sent him to them so that they will be able to rise above their situation. They begin to have hope. But the ones oppressing them don't like that he is taking the people out from under their control, so they beat up your son and leave him for dead. Some of the towns people take him to a hospital and he gets well and returns to you.

He starts getting letters and phone calls from these people thanking him for what he has done.

What do you do? Do you get angry with these people, saying I am the one who sent him, don't thank him, thank me? I think not. Most fathers I know would be proud of their son and happy that people were thanking him. I am not a father, I am a mother, but I know that is how I would feel.

Jesus said: I and my father are one. (I am not using this verse to prove a trinity, but just to show the oneness of unity between the Father and the Son) I believe if we worship one, we worship the other just by association.

Love and hugs,

Velta

• potentialJWconvertswife
    potentialJWconvertswife

I know the topic of the Trinity is very heated, and confusing, but never say never (as they say), JH...One passage that I've found that demonstrates how Jesus is a divine beaing (read: not created)is John 8:58-59: 58 Then Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly I say to you, before Abraham was I AM." 59 Then they took up stones to throw at Him; but Jesus hid himself and went out of the temple, going through the mist of them, and so passed by. Why would the Jews stone Jesus, except that they knew what He meant when He said "I am". That would mean He is God, and because they didn't even believe He was God's Son if He called Himself "I am" that would be blasphemy were He not the Son of God.

I've heard it is very easy to get the interlinear translation- just ask for it at the KH.

Eliveleth, you've brought up another scripture that has been changed (however slightly) from original translations: John 1:1. The NWT adds the word "a" to the passage. None of the other Biblical translations express it in that manner (as far as I know). The accepted translation says "and the word WAS God.". Yes, it's a very slight difference, but we can all see how it completely changes the meaning. If He was God that's one thing. If he was "a god", that's a whole 'nother can of worms...

-Potential

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Different religions spin this a little differently - the WTS becomes more Catholic with the passing of time. Humans cannot directly engage God, they must use an intermediary - usually Jesus, who delivers messages to God on their behalf. The WTS has this newest wrinkle: only the remnant of the 144,000 bound for Heaven can speak directly to Jesus, Jesus is na intermeidary only for them. The WTS has yet to drop the other show, which must logically follow:

Therefore, the Great Crowd must pray to the 144,000, who can pass the message on to Jesus, who can then relay it to God.

Can you imagine the cosmic game of telephone that must setup...

• tula
    tula

Jesus is the mediator between God and man.

Sometimes I just talk to him like an invisible friend at my side.

A lot of folks probably just pray when they want or need something.

I sometimes just tell him how I am feeling and how sad and evil this world has become and that I hope he comes soon because it grieves me beyond words to see the injustices in this world.

Sometimes when I have happier moments, when I am out planting in my garden, or I discover a new bug or caterpillar, I make up songs and I sing to praise his creativeness in providing such entertainment and beauty for us.

Jesus did give us instruction in how to pray and it starts "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be thy name". So there is a correct formula in that God must be acknowledged in your prayer at some point.

JMHO.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit