What lengths did you go to, to not miss meetings?

by exwitless 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwitless
    exwitless

I posted this in another thread, but I thought it would merit a thread.

The elders in our cong. likened missing a memorial to an "unforgivable sin". Not in so many words, but they gave you that fear. So once when my son was about 2, he was really sick and had a fever. I could tell he was getting hotter and hotter as the Memorial went on; but heaven forbid I would miss it altogether or leave early. By the time we got home, he had a fever of 104! I felt so bad for him, that I made him suffer through the Memorial with a rediculously high fever. I still feel bad for that. (By the way, he recovered quickly and is a healthy 10 year old).

I would skip dinners to not be late to the Thursday meeting, because by the time I got home from work, all I had time to do was to change my clothes and haul ass back to the KH.

LDB's dad was in the hospital and we went ahead to the book study. Thank goodness we went straight to the hospital after the study, because within minutes of our arriving and saying hi to his dad, he went into cardiac arrest and died.

Oh, I could go on and on.

What crazy things did you do to not miss meetings?

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Growing up we left visitors at home waiting for us thru meeting.

When we moved to TN, I would leave work, get my daughter from daycare, drive 30 miles home and get home around 6:00. Just in time to eat and change and make the 40 mile drive back to the KH. I even met my husband at a truck stop for dinner ( he was on tour and passing thru ) dressed in our meeting clothes. Then go to meeting with 2 daughters, one a small infant.

Then it became to what lengths would I go to to miss meetings.

momz

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Wolfed down supper many times after working all day, and screamed at my 3 boys to get their asses in gear to get ready. Nice huh?

What a sick cult!

Dismembered

• exwitless
    exwitless

momz-I can totally relate to the exhaustion you must have felt rushing from work to day care to changing clothes to meetings... Did you ever feel good about it like you were 'suffering for Jehovah'? I know, it sounds silly now, but maybe that was the only way I could justify killing myself the way I did to go to meetings.

• JK666
    JK666

I was real sick one year for the memorial. I stood in the back away from everyone, because I had a 103 degree fever. In retrospect, it was very stupid!

JK

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Uh well, I missed memorials if I was sick or in the hospital. And I begged off a few district conventions. One reason JWs are always sick is they spread stuff at the hall and they don't rest when they are ill.

• oompa
    oompa

Uh..sorry....but I went to great lengths for many years to MISS meetings........................................oompa

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy
    Did you ever feel good about it like you were 'suffering for Jehovah'?

Oh yes. I was a great martyr. Except I b*tch^D at my husband too much to win him over. He won me over instead. I will be eternally grateful.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I mean they made us squeeze into pantyhose and all. The older and plumper I got, the less I submitted to that kind of tyranny.

• inkling
    inkling

What lengths did you go to, to use unnecessary commas?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit